Paris - 5th or 7th? Need a good perspective

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to settle on an area in Paris to stay for 5 - 6 days in early June. I've heard many people say that it really doesn't matter where you stay, because you can easily take the metro to anywhere you want. However, if we were to *walk*, from let's say the 7th arrondissement toward the 5th (Latin Quarter), or to the right bank, how far would that be? And, if it's not far, are those walks safe (at night?)? I'm torn between staying close to the Eiffel Tower & able to look over to make sure it's still there and I'm not dreaming, and staying in the middle of the Latin Quarter.

I've read descriptions of the different arrondissements, and the 5th & 7th seem to be best suited for us. Now I need *something* or *someone* to help me choose. Unfortunately, my "intuition" is being indecisive. What are the "plusses & minuses" to staying in one over another?

My husband and I are in our early 40's. We want to be able to easily walk to restaurants, markets, museums, and are willing to take the metro, but prefer walking as much as possible. I've tried narrowing my decision down by figuring out what we want to do while we're there, but we "want" to see everything! (Granted, we only have 5-6 days, however.)

Any advise that will help to "de-confuse" me?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM

The 5th is quite student-oriented and can be a bit on the noisy side, depending on your hotel location; the 7th is more elegant and often the choice of seasoned travellers. How about the 6th for the best of both?' Such places as the Musée d'Orsay and the Louvre are within walking distance, and it's just a short métro ride to Les Invalides and the Eifel Tower.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:47 AM
ira

I also suggest the 6th.

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte.
(You can do a text search for comments)

www.multimap.com has a good, zoomable map for Paris.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Ira,

Why is the Bonaparte your favorite? We stayed there once some years back but have no idea what it might be like now and are interested.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:30 PM

I think he's a repeat guest. If you find a hotel you like and its staff I can understand why you'd keep returning.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Of course; we go back to favorites too, but I'm always on the lookout for a good something new as well,hence my question.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:03 PM
ira

Hi
francophile has it right. We will be going back in April.

It is a very pleasant, well run 2* hotel in a good location.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Hi Katiebug,

I've stayed in the 7th once (Hotel Muguet - very good!) and it was a fine area. However, I keep going back to the 6th and once to the 5th (Hotel des Grandes Ecoles). The area of the 5th & 6th feels like home to me. I can't describe it any better than that. I think I like that it feels older than the 7th, and to my mind more "Parisian."

I like the proximity to things I enjoy, some of the churches, Cluny Museum, Luxembourg Gardens, Mouffetard market. You can always sit on the Pont Neuf and look at the Eiffel Tower!

Unlike Ira, I like to stay at different hotels, although one day I'm going to try the Bonapart. It really is in a good location and I've been by it many times and it looks nice.

I can't tell you how long the walk to the Latin Quarter would be; maybe 30 minutes, depending on route and where you start from. If you just want to get to the Right Bank, you can be there bank in a few minutes - just cross the closest bridge.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

OK, Underhill & Ira... you're beginning to persuade me. Shoot. I have done extensive research on the 5th & 7th for the past couple of months - none on the 6th. I'm never getting off of this board, am I?

So the Bonaparte is around $150 per night. People talk about a large room on the top floor (#62). Do you know anything about this (price?). Is it worth it? It's just my husband and me.

Also, Underhill mentioned the Eiffel Tower being "a short metro ride away." Does this mean walking it too far? How many miles would you estimate?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

adrienne: Thanks so much for your input. It's sounding like this is where we want to be. What have been your favorite hotels in the 6th? Any in similar (or lower) price ranges?

I really like the idea of a refridgerator in our room for wine & cheese. Mmmmmm.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Katiebug,

I haven't found one I really like yet so I keep moving around. I'm on more of a budget than Ira so I'm never quite satisfied with the hotels I've stayed at in the 6th. The best was Grand Hotel des Balcons. I think it's 100 Euro but I'm sure it's not as nice as the Bonapart. Take Ira's suggestion about the Bonapart. It's very close to some good restos and pastry shops! You'll love the area.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Topping.