Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

for those of you who got married on santorini, was it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My son and his fiancee are seriously considering getting married on Santorini at the Katikies next May. It all sounds exciting and wonderful. DH and I have been to Santoini twice and think it could be tons of fun. I just wanted to know if those who have gotten married on Santorini were happy and did it all run fairly smoothly. They are using a wedding planner they found on the internet. They also have a travel agent here, that will contact the hotel and airlines to find out about reduced rates. Hopefully at 30 people will come, but if it is just 6 of us, that is OK. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM

I don't know about Santorini but if it's any help to you I can tell you that I got married in New Brighton and it was not worth it.

Larry J
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM

There are 24 people who want to go to the wedding but won't/can't because it is in Santorini? Doesn't sound worth it to me.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I did not get married in Santorini, but was just there a few months ago, and I think it is the perfect place for a wedding, no matter how many guests show up...Even if it were just the 2 of them, I can't imagine a more beautiful place..
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:57 AM
JonJon

If the number of people attending ANY wedding, regardless of where it is held, is going to be a major decision as to whether or not to proceed, I'd question the whole notion of even having a wedding.
Are you simply "interested" in how Santorini weddings turn out or are you looking for reasons you can use to dissuade your son and his fiancee from doing this in the first place..since they seem determined to do so it seems unlikely you are looking for reasons to reinforce their already-made decision.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Agree with JonJon.
Why don't you propose them to marry somewhere close to home and have their honeymoon in Santorini?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:31 PM

My husband and I got married in Santorini (at Astra Apartments) in September 2003. We invited our families, but no one wanted to attend (in other words, we eloped without the guilt). The ceremony ran very smoothly and the weather was fabulous for the wedding even though it had rained for the previous 2 days. The photographs taken by the "package" photographer are amazing; everyone who sees them can't believe that the background (the caldera at sunset) is a real place. We've got a video, but still haven't gotten around to having it converted to American format.

It was the most amazing experience we've ever had. Even if that hadn't been the case, the chaos of planning a post-wedding reception for our friends and family confirmed that we had made the right decision.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM

We were also married on Santorini (Perivolas Traditional Houses) September 2002. After a week in London and a week in Paris the third week of our trip was spent on Santorini where we got married. Just the two of us. The cost of our entire trip was much less than that of a "traditional" wedding here in the states. We used a local wedding planner who made all the arrangements. Kristina1 you are right about the reception. We are also sure we made the right decision about getting maried there.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

To Clif and Kristina,

Thank you for your response. The wedding is set for next May in Santorini. We are very excited and think 20-50 people will come. But it does not matter. I just needed reasurance that the bride and groom will be happy with their decision. It is a long ways off, but I can plan and dream. This will keep me busy for hours. Kala Nita!