Paris ? Where to stay ?

Search

Paris ? Where to stay ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris ? Where to stay ?

What area is the best to stay in Paris to be close to everything ?
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:51 PM

First, get a map of Paris.
Next, look at a guidebook or use "Destinations" on this website.
Determine which sights/sites you are interested in seeing. If you see a 'cluster' of those you could use that as your indicator of where to base.

In fact, most first-time visitors enjoy a hotel in the center arrondissements, espec. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th. The bus and metro systems are excellent, and the core of Paris is really only a couple of miles in length/breadth.

Here is the Paris "Superthread" with links to many great ideas and frequently-asked questions.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM

On my first trip to Paris, I stayed in the 1st arr. - thinking it was the "heart" of Paris, close to the Louvre. I really enjoyed the location, and thought it was perfect.

On my next trip, I stayed in the 7th arr., and really enjoyed the location and thought it was perfect.

I've also stayed in the 8th arr. at a hotel just off the Champs-Elysees, which was a great location.

So now, I don't really care where I stay as long as the hotel is decent and the metro is still operating. If I were forced to chose, I would say the 1st arr. - but only because that was my first trip and so has a special place in my heart.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:13 PM

The center, or heart of Paris, would be the 5th, 6th and 7th, on the left bank. The right bank is fine, but I would pick the 8th over the 1st or 2nd, 3rd or 4th.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Someone recommended Hotel Bleu Marine Montparnasse. It will be my first visit to Paris. Its in the Latin Quarter, I think 14th arrondissement.

Has anyone stayed there? And would you recommend it on my first visit?

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM

There have been numerous posts on this, if you put in "Paris hotels" in the search option, it should pull up a lot of information and tips.

I was there in March and stayed at the Hotel Kensington, Ave de la Bourdonnais, 79 (in the 7th Arr) with a terrific view of the Eiffel Tower across the street. It is close to the much-touted Rue Cler area that Rick Steves raves about, yet did not feel over-crowded or too touristy when I was there. I liked the fact that I was in the 7th Arr and in the middle of everything, within walking distance to Luxembourg Gardens, Ste Germain, etc. My double room was under 80 euros. The hotel is near Rue St. Dominique, the closest Metro is "Ecole Militaire" and the RER "Alma" stop.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:57 AM

I agree with Huitres, the area near Rue Clerc is really good...In this area, I've stayed in Hotel Saint Dominique, a 2 star hotel really nice and clean. The hotel have a little patio and it was great to stay there...
You can see this hotel on http://www.saintdominique.com
Have a good trip!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi choc,

That is a very large, International-style hotel at 30-40 Rue du Commandant Mouchotte in the 14th.

You can find it on a map at www.mappy.com.

Website is http://www.webtravel.fr/en/hotel_ble...sse_223359.htm

It might or might not be what you are looking for.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:13 AM
ira

Hi JS,

There is no "best" area. One either walks or takes public transportation.

What are you looking for in the way of a hotel?

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:15 AM
ira

PS, the Paris Superthread is quite helpful

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....99&start=0
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:17 AM

You will probably get as many opinions as there are Arrondisements. We like the 6th; it is central and, if you are a walker, within walking distance of almost all of the major attractions. Good advice to search the forum for discussions of why people prefer one area or another.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:34 AM

You can't be "close to everything" in any city, Paris included. But Paris is a very compact city in some ways, and it has excellent public transportation. I prefer the 7th arrondissement, but that's primarily out of habit at this point. As others have pointed out, there are a number of arrondissements that could be considered "central" and from which you could easiy get around the city to the major attractions.
Do get yourself a map.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:37 AM
ira

>Do get yourself a map.<

Excellent advice.

Try www.mappy.com, www.viamichelin.com and www.multimap.com
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The arrondisements in Paris spiral outwards from the center by number (as you will see on that map you're gonna get real soon!). Personally I would pick something in the 4th thru 7th.

Obviously no place puts you close to everything, but the 7th you'll be near the Eiffle Tower, in the 5th near Luxembourg Gardens and Notre Dame, etc. etc.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Our last trip to Paris we stayed at the Andrea Rivoli a little two star on the edge of the Maurais that we really liked because of the loaction. It is 4 blocks from Notre Dame, 1 block from Hotel De Ville, 2 blocks from the Pompidou and just a few blocks from the Louvre. It has an elevator, it was clean and not too cramped. The price was right too, it was E84 for a double.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 08:28 PM

A friend sent over about these hotels.

http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/index.html

Has anyone stayed there? Would you recommend it on your first time to Paris?

I saw it on one of the threads too. But, I didn't see any comment on how it was.

Anyone???
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM

No, I wouldn't recommend it for a first trip to Paris, because none of the Etap locations in or near Paris are in a convenient area for first-time tourists.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:11 AM

Thank you Willtravel.

What about the ibis hotels?

Or any recommendations???
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:27 AM

I've stayed in Ibis hotels many times in Paris -- at the Porte d'Italie, the Porte d'Orleans, and at the airport at Roissy -- and they have been fine. But you need to find one in the middle of the city (if there is one) unless you already know Paris very well or have a car (I live in France and have a car).

Most visitors would prefer to be in the center of the city in a locally run hotel rather than in a big chain hotel on the edge of Paris.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:34 AM

I've found Ibis kinda depressing. Unlike the French chains, Best Westerns are locally owned and run, not cookie-cutter. You might try their website.

A site I use a lot is www.france.com. You can put in your area (St. Germain, Invalides, etc.) and price range and even check availability for a number of hotels. Good descriptions and lots of client comments. I've booked through them several times and always been quite satisfied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -