Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris

Can anyone tell me the most efficient way to get from CDG to Gard du Nord?
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM

RER train is fastest and cheapest way
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:42 AM
RJD

It depends on your definition of efficiency. Are you trying to save time, money or avoid a hassle with heavy bags? These days I find cabs the least trouble and the most efficient in saving time.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:00 AM

As RJD points out, part of the final answer may depend on what is loading you down. I've never taken a cab from the airport, then again I've always traveled into the city with only one large bag. When travelling with kids or people with mobility issues, a cab might be a better choice, if indeed your endpoint is not Gare du Nord, but something in the vicinity.

When you combine the RER with transfers to the Metro system, some of the walks between lines can be long, so travellers who have issues with that might consider other options.

I have not found it difficult to manage the system with one bag. My last trip I RER'ed into the city, took one metro line, transfered to another, then walked a couple of blocks to my hotel. In your case, the RER stops at Gare du Nord, no transfers required.

Some travellers feel a little apprehensive about taking another mode of transport (other than taxi) when landing in new city with jet lag. The RER is easy to use.

It is way cheaper than a shuttle or cab and you won't have to worry about traffic delays.

This is a common topic of discussion here
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:12 AM

If you are very mobile, can handle your luggage very efficiently (as in lifting over a turnstile or asking the clerk to open a gate for you), can negotiate steps with your luggage load, whatever it might be, then the RER "can" be the answer. It is direct, cheapest, and reliable for time. BUT all of the above are important if you do this.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
ira

Hi R,

>Can anyone tell me the most efficient way to get from CDG to Gard du Nord?<

Taxi about 55E

Shuttle Van about 19E pp.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM
ira

OOPS,

I left out the most efficient way.

Hire a private limo. About 120E.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:02 PM
newmanparker

What do u recommend if we have a 10 am departure from CDG? What should we take? How long to get to the airport from downtown?

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Taking the train from CDG to Paris is the same thing you'd do if your destination were Lyon. Fly to Paris. Get off the plane and on the train. Ride the train to the city. Take a taxi, bus, Métro, or walk to your hotel. The RER trains are built for travelers. There is ample room for luggage, and you will be the first on an empty train at the airport.

For Paris -> CDG: You can find transfer times on the public transport site, www.RATP.fr

The short answer is that the RER B ride is between 30 and 40 minutes, depending on where you board - but that doesn't account for how long it takes from where you start to the RER line.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM

As many have said, if you can handle the ticket-buying and the luggage, the RER is the way to go. We did it in both directions, and our destination required RER B to ND-St. Michel, RER C to Gare d'Austerlitz, and a 5 minute walk (in steady rain). We wouldn't do it any other way.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
newmanparker

walk

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
tod

Don't be daft Newmanparker! Get serious.
I would only consider the RER. 8euros I think.
Then from Gare de Nord we always take a taxi to our hotel.