Elevators/Escalators in Paris Metros?

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elevators/Escalators in Paris Metros?

Hi,

I am having a hard time finding out if there are elevators/escalators at Chatalet and Madeleine metro stops. I want to take the RER in from CDG and I need to go to Madeleine so I would have to change at Chatalet. Please excuse my spelling as I do not have the metro map in front of me.

Thanks for any help. If there are no elevators/escalators I may take the Roissy Bus to Opera and then cab it to my hotel near Madeleine.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM

These pages have a list of Métro/RER stations with elevators (acenseurs:

http://www.ratp.info/informer/reseau...hp?partenaire=

Métro Ligne 14 appears to be equipped with elevators at both Châtelet and Madeleine stations - but the walk from Châtelet-Les Halles is pretty rigorous.

You might want to bail at Gare du Nord, ride the elevator to the surface, and get on the N° 42 bus to Madeleine.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I tell DH that if I ever get lost in Paris, he an find me wandering around in Chatelet. They may have elevators or escalators, but I don't ever remember using them, I just remember long hallways and stairs, lots of them.

We have used Madeleine, but I don't remember that much about it.

If you are concerned because you have luggage, I would recommend a shuttle from CDG directly to your hotel, or a taxi. The shuttle runs about 15E each way and is sooooo much easier than the metro and a cab

When you add up RER, metro change, walking to hotel with luggage, IMHO a shuttle makes more sense, time and $$ wise.

Nina
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi Nina,

Do you have the names of any reliable shuttles. I have heard some negative things about Paris Shuttles and so have steered away from them. Also, I was seeing prices of 25 euros + for a shuttle.

Thanks for you input.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Actually the connection between the RER and the line 14 is not very far and is a fairly easy walk. The key to know is that you will need your RER ticket to change from the RER to the line 14 so keep it handy. When you approach the bank of gates, if you have bags, look to the far right. There is a special door for people with bulky items.

The elevator at Madeleine will take you all the way up to street level.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Not sure what sort of luggage you will be toting, but keep in mind that even when there are elevators and escalators, it is not uncommon for them to be out of service. So, if you are hauling a big bag, and dealing with the effects of an overnight flight, it may make sense to use a shuttle or the bus.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM

pat, I'm through with Paris Shuttle. We're thinking of trying Bee or Blue Van for our trip in December. Do a search under Paris Airport Shuttes and you can read the pros and cons of the above companies.

We taken cabs but they may be too expensive, depending on your budget. Truthfully, except for New York, (for some odd reason), the ticking of the meter with all those extra charges, drives me nuts. Maybe because I am penny-wise and pound foolish.

Some folks here frown on using the shuttles. We've never had problems from CDG to our lodgings, it's always been on the return trip to CDG with Paris Shuttle. Time (atually well past time) to change companies.

Besides if this is your first trip to Paris, the shuttle is soooo easy and you get a City tour, sans narration, on the way to your hotel. IMHO A nice way and relaxing way to start your stay.

Nina
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:59 PM

I agree with Seamus. Sure the Metro stop may have elevators and escalators but don't count on them working. One visit with my father we noticed the same elevator out of service at Chatelet/Les Halles for 4 straight days.

If the elevators and escalators are absolute necessary don't take the Metro.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:57 AM

I have done the inverse of what the poster is taking about several times. Took the line 14 to chatelet then the RER onward to CDG. Never had a problem and all elevators working . I personally think if you are going to take the RER at all, in this case with one easy change, its just easier to stay in the system and get to where you are going rather than adding a taxi to the sauce.

There is one elevator at chatelet that you use to get to ground level from the line 14 that is often broken but the OP would not need that. And on the line 14 at madeline you have a choice between elevator or escalator so you have a back up.

The key is, take your time. When the metro doors open the crowd goes rushing in and out. When you exit the metro car, stand patiently for a minute or two and you will see that the crowd quickly evaporates. You can then move calmly to your destination.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:52 AM

Personally, I think anyone who is worried about the existence of working elevators or escalators in order to decide whether to take the metro/RER, shouldn't be taking it. If you have that much luggage or can't contemplate carrying it up or down a flight of steps or something (which means you have tons of it), I don't think you should take it. That's just my opinion, but I don't even travel as lightly as some folks (22" suitcase and largish carryon plus purse and maybe another sack or so gets added) and have no problems getting my luggage up and down a flight of stairs or so when I have to and wouldn't make transportation decisions based on that, as they could not be working even if they are there, as noted. The Madeleine isn't even that far from the OPera, though, I would think you could walk it. Some taxis won't want to go such a short distance, I will warn you.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Line 14 is a snap at both Châtelet and Madeleine, and since it is only a few years old, the elevators and escalators are extremely reliable. This said, there is only one elevator that arrives at the surface, and if it is on the wrong side of the Madeleine for you (the elevator is on the boulevard des Capucines side), there's going to be a lot of walking to do.