Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris

Hi, I'm a newbie here but I'm going to be in Paris at the end of April and looking for a place to stay. What area would you recommend? I've heard the 7th is a nice place to stay. Any thoughts? Also, any hotel recommendations. I would like to spend around 100 euros a night.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:00 AM

You could use viaMichelin: http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...troller/Hotels

Specify the country and on the line for the postcode, enter 75007. Michelin will list its recommendations with prices. You might also want to try 75005.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM
tod

clevercloud - Newbie on Fodors, and a newbie to Paris. If this is so, I don't think the 7th is for you.
It may be close to the Eiffel Tower & Rue Cler (which I'm sure you have heard about) but other than that it does not have the throb of Blvd.St.Germain and the restaurants in the street leading off it.
If it's a first time in Paris - stay either in the Marais or the 5th/6th.
Oldies like me have ventured farther afield into the double digit arrondissements where the Parisiens still live in relative peace and quiet.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:23 AM

I wouldn't say that newbies should not stay in the 7th, I think quite a few of them like it very much. It really depends on tastes and what you are looking for in a hotel and surrounding area. I personally do not like St Germain and its throbbing, for example. However, if that's what you want, I agree somewhere noisier and more crowded might be more suitable.

Also, the 7th has lots cheaper hotels than St Germain, so there is that advantage. There is almost nothing available in St Germain at 100 euros, I'm pretty sure. What is will be lower quality than elsewhere. There is not much available in the Marais at that rate, either, but maybe.

Try hotel Champ du Mars in the 7th
within that price range
http://www.hotel-du-champ-de-mars.com/

In the Latin Qtr, Hotel St Jacques has std rooms around that price
http://www.paris-hotel-stjacques.com/

Is that for a double or single room, that is pretty important as it's much more likely for a single room in lots of places.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. I agree that the 7th really isn't the best area - nothing "wrong" with it. But other than the Eiffel Tower, Invalides and Rodin museum, it is a bit farther from the major sites, and is generally very quiet at night. Not just "noise quite" which might be a good thing. Things really shut down in the 7th, w/ fewer restaurants and bistros. The 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th are a bit more central. My own favorite is the 5th but the others are fine too. MANY people prefer the 4th and almost as many recommend the 6th.

There are hundreds of threads on here w/ Paris hotel recommendations.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM

We recently stayed in the Latin Quarter at the Hotel Familia. It is a litle more than 100 euro a night, you could check their web site. We loved the location, close to Notre Dame, Luxemborg Garden, St. Sulpice.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 09:23 AM

If you will be there 5 days or more, you may want to consider an apartment if you can do without hotel services. There are plenty of nice ones in your price range and even less.