Paris hotels in the 7th

Search

Paris hotels in the 7th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris hotels in the 7th

I'm hoping to make a reservation at one of these 4 hotels and have read all the info so far on Fodor's and Trip Advisor. Does anyone have anything they'd like to add that may sway me one way or the other?
Hotel de la Bourdonnais
Hotel du Cadran
Hotel Muguet
Relais Bosquet
Thank you.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Why do you want a hotel specifically in the 7th? It's a rather boring district with few things to see, other than the Eiffel Tower.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM

In fairness to the 7th district, there is also the Musee d' Orsay and the Invalides as well. Parts of the 7th are very close to St. Germain too.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM

the 7th also features the Rodin museum.

Okay, I don't have my map in front of me, but if it isn't in the 7th, it's so close as not to matter.

And some peoples idea of boring is anothers idea of peace and quiet at night, with no rowdies on the street when the clubs/bars close in the wee hours. To each his own.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Many people on this board love to stay in the 7th. As to the hotels, I have heard great things about the Relais Bosquet, although I haven't stayed there yet. Would like to, though.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Most of those who rave about the 7th are reading directly out of Rick Steves' book. Before he came along, it was nothing special. Thanks to him, the area is now dramatically overrated. It does have the advantage of being quiet at night (as long as you stay away from the other tourists, which means skipping the infamous rue Cler), but other than that it has little to recommend it. Each day will generally begin with a trip to some other part of the city.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Hi,
To answer your question we stayed at the Muguet and really enjoyed the hotel and the location. The best part is the hotel has AC, which was very necessary when we were there. Also the Muguet is not that expensive.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I would advise against staying at Relais Bosquet despite the fact that we really like this area. Some items were stolen from our room--some things that were not missed until we returned home. Can't remember for sure but I think the elevator was only large enough to hold luggage.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Geez, Anthony, why not paint with an even broader brush. I have never read Rick Steves. I love the Muguet and the 7th. Is that OK with you. It is easy to access the Metro and 5 bus lines. And you can walk to the Eiffel Tower, which is NOT easy to access by Metro, by the way.
You could not go wrong with the Muguet--to the original poster. Squeaky clean, good value.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM
MaureenB

We stayed at the Hotel la Bourdonnais this past June, in their quad room #503, which has a small balcony and a view of the Eiffel Tower. So beautiful to see the tower at night and in the early a.m. They have A/C and a lift, also.

I booked it through Expedia, back in December or so, for $225/night for four. Breakfast is offered if you want it, I think for 11 EU. But we just walked to Rue Cler instead, which is just a block or so away. We really liked this hotel and the area it's in. We appreciated the quiet of the 7th, after a day of touring it was nice to come back to. There's a metro stop close by the hotel, and you can easily walk to the Seine to catch the Batobus.

The hotel is very clean, maybe it could use some updating in decorations-- but really that's about the only semi-complaint I would make. Front desk personnel were friendly, too.

The Ave. la Bourdonnais is a nice tree-lined street that runs parallel to the Champs de Mars. There's a little market next door to the hotel where you can stock up on staples, etc.

If you click on my screen name above, you will find my recent trip report of London-Paris-Amsterdam, with more specifics about our stay there, and some restaurants we liked.

Enjoy Paris! We envy you.

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:56 PM
bsm

Please don't pass up the 7th district and take a look @ the Hotel Valadon. We have stayed there the last two years and love it.http://www.hotelvaladon.com/
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Hello, Anthony! I think Rick Steves is a total bore and have never read any of his books (actually, I have, once - and his description of the Dordogne as a place too hard to get to sank right in with me as "right on&quot and have been a fan of the 7th arrondissement since 1972, long before Rick even found the place!

I usually stay at either the Hôtel de France on the Blvd. de la Tour Maubourg or the Duquesne-Eiffel on the Avenue Duquesne. It's a lovely neighborhood, despite the fact that Rick Steves found it.

It's not boring at all. There are great restaurants the Florimond, the Fontaine de Mars. the Auberge Bressane, and lots more.

Anthony - spare us your hostility to Rick Steves and give some of us who "discovered" this area before RS did some credit. Who cares if RS thinks he "found" this area of Paris? Some of us were coming here a decade before he "found" it and loved it. Catherine Deneuve still shops on the rue Cler, and that's good enough for me.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:13 PM
To_Paris

I just read with interest your comments.

I've made a reservation for my family at Hotel Muguet in August. But, I have been wondering if I'd rather be in the 5th or 6th - We have a 19 (almost 20) year old daughter who will be with us. I'm wondering if the 7th will seem to quiet to her. Also we'll be visiting with friends who are in the 5th - is the transportation between the two easy/difficult. It seems that the metro doesn't go that direction.

Any comments or thoughts welcome!

Any hotels in the 5th or 6th I might try at this late date for a triple?

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Regarding the 7th; I agree with St.Cirq. I love the 7th. I spend the day in the Latin Quarter, St. Germain Blvd, Montmartre, the Marais, Champs Elysees, Republique, and others but at the end of the day I love the peace, quiet, wide boulevards, big parks and open spaces of the 7th. You may think it is dead, you walk down a quiet street and when you round a corner there is a street cafe with lots of people quietly enjoying the peaceful Paris evening in a most relaxed setting not possible in the more touristy parts of town. And the best thing about it is you are only a 10 minute metro ride to those more touristy neighborhoods when you want them.

Larry J
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM

My recommendation would not to go hotel hunting at this late date. The Muguet is a top rated hotel in Paris, and it's right around the corner from Rue Cler. Nothing boring about that.

We're going in September again...and we stayed in the 7th at the Hotel du Champ de Mars, which books MONTHS in advance.
We're staying at the Muguet when we go again.

I'd stay put if I were you...but of course it's your call.

Jules
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:32 AM

"Dead" is a positive thing if you have to open the windows at night for some air circulation.

I have moved farther out (to the 14th) as added insurance that my late evenings will be "dead".
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 06:33 AM

I stayed at the Muguet and thought it was great. It is spotlessly clean and we liked wandering the neighborhood and managed to eat and drink late in the evenings and overall have a lovely time. Stay with it and don't stress about changing. You will like it
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:17 AM

We love the 7th and don't find it the least bit boring unless your idea of fun is to hit the night spots. It is a lovely area with some of my favorite sights and good restaurants. It is relatively quiet at night, which for most of us is a good thing. I have never had a Rick Steves book and have found the Rue Cler to be very boring. Otherwise, the 7th is a nice place to stay and the Hotel Muguet is a nice hotel.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 08:21 AM

We have stayed at Hotel Muguet and most recently rented an apartment in the 7th. My husband and I enjoyed the restaurants, shops, markets, and sights. On our last trip, I thought perhaps my 22 year old daughter would prefer a faster pace, but after sightseeing in the Marais she agreed that it is nice to return to a quiet neighborhood to unwind at night. The Muguet is very clean and the staff is helpful and professional.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM

We stayed at the Relais Bosquet in May. It was a wonderful hotel with the best service we've ever had in Paris excluding the club level at the Le Grand. The 7th was very relaxing with many good places to eat and drink. Easy to navigate to the rest of Paris too. Spent an afternoon in the very crowded St. Germain area and we sure glad to get back to our quiet and untouristy area.