Latin area in Paris?

Search

Latin area in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latin area in Paris?

Someone recommended my 20 yr old daughter and i stay in the Latin quarter in Paris. When looking up neighborhoods or areas to stay on trip advisor , Latin quarter does not pop up. Can anyone help me with the search criteria, perhaps it is under a different name or near a monument that I could locate.
Thankyou for your help!!
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Paris is divided into Arrondissements. You can tell the Arrondissement by the postal code of the hotel (e.g., 75005 is 5th Arrondissement). The Latin Quarter is in the 5th. Latin Quarter landmarks would include the Pantheon and Rue Mouffetard. Many visitors, especially first time visitors, prefer St. Germain des Pres, which is the 6th. Also popular is the 4th (the Marais). Fodor hotel listings are searchable by area.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:40 AM

The way Paris is divided up administratively and the way that is most familiar to Parisians is 20 numbered "arrondissements" or areas spiralling out from the centre near Notre Dame (see map here for example:http://www.internuntia.fr/77/localisation.jpg).
As you can see, the "Latin Quarter" is part of the 5th arrondissement, basically centred around the Sorbonne University (which is why there are a lot of students around) and the Pantheon. There actually seems to be a Latin Quarter page on tripadvisor - just google latin quarter paris .
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:49 AM
ira

Hi C,

The 5th is full of students. That might, or might not, be the best thing for you.

What's your budget?
What's your itinerary?
What are you looking for in a hotel.

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM

DH and I recently stayed in the Latin Quarter, at Hotel St Jacques. We had been to Paris only once before, and we stayed near the Eiffel Tower, so we wanted a different location. We liked it very much-- cool bars, nice restaurants, little cafes. Easy walk to the Luxembourg Gardens and the Sorbonne.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Latin Quarter = 5th (right on St. Mich. Blvd. is the hotel I stayed at there) and yes I think it's an excellent suggestion for a 20-year old. better than the Marais imo.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM

That's funny, when I first read the headline, I thought you were looking for an area full of Hispanics.

I don't really think the 5th has that many more students than lots of other areas, actually. The Sorbonne has buildings all over Paris, as well as residences in many areas, for example. And there are other schools in Paris, I went to one on rue d'Assas to the west of Luxembourg Gardens and we had residences over there. Not to mention down in the 14th where the main residence halls are. And actually, most people have never seen most of the 5th, they are only familiar with the area in-between the river and the Pantheon, which is where most hotels are.

But the term Latin Quarter is really well-known and refers to the colleges that used to speak Latin, I guess, or at least it was the language of learning. I think it's a good idea in your case, also, and could have better hotel options, anyway. On Tripadvisor, use the neighborhood "Sorbonne" or "Pantheon". I wouldn't use Tripadvisor except to review comments on a hotel you are considering already, though. If you use www.booking.com (which I recommend as one good place), use "district 05 - Pantheon/Notre Dame". Or use venere.com, they use the term Latin Quarter - Pantheon, as does Expedia.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed in the Latin Quarter with my daughter when she was in college. We live in the Boston area. When we would go across the river from the left bank (where the Latin Quarter is located) to the right bank (where the Marais is located), she said it felt like crossing from Cambridge to Boston.

The Latin Quarter and the Marais are both fun, lively areas, I can't say I would recommend one over the other. I used to obsess over picking just the right neighborhood to stay in Paris, but after several stays, I have enjoyed them all.
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Latin Quarter has no official boundaries. In the mind of most Parsians, it basically concerns the area along Boulevard Saint Michel from Place Saint Michel to the Port Royal RER station and most of the area between there and the Seine to about the Institut du Monde Arabe. The Odéon area on the other side of the boulevard is also considered to be in the Latin Quarter but not much beyond there, which becomes the anti-student Saint Germain des Prés area.
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM

If you just use "Google" as a search engine, and type in the words "Latin Quarter" all kinds of links will pop up for you to see. A description of the area, a map, hotels, etc. etc.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:14 AM

If you're worried about making a mistake by staying in the LQ, don't be (unless you pick a hotel that's a dump). It's a lively, safe area that offers lots to do, including Luxembourg Gardens.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM

>>><i> The Odéon area on the other side of the boulevard is also considered to be in the Latin Quarter </i>

This is one of my favorite areas of Paris..
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM

Where exactly is Odeon area? I imagine we were walking through it from our St Jacques hotel? We enjoyed all the areas within walking distance of our hotel, especially when you get a block or two up the hill from the boulevard.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM

<< Where exactly is Odeon area >>

It's by the Odeon metro stop and Odeon theater. South of Blvd. St-Germain.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:59 PM

The 5th and 6th are great places to stay - lots of cafes, very accessible to many sights. Much better than the Bastille.

I really think you could benefit from a guide book on Paris to familiarize yourself with different areas. It will help you now and when you get to Paris.
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:06 PM

If not a guidebook, at least print out a decent street map! I used a regular folding paper one for the street of Paris that I got free at my hotel lobby, but I'm sure they are online too.

All the main monuments and sights were shown on it, along with the arrondisement names/numbers, so it was easy to see if a hotel you are consider is (for example) in a popular area, near Luxembourg Gardens, on St. Mich., near Notre Dame, near the Eiffle Tower, etc. etc.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:47 PM

Isn't there a free app, a Fodor's Paris guide you can download?
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:21 PM

Yes there is a free app.

Also this kind of information is on the Fodor's pages (outside this forum). Go to Destinations up on the orange bar, then pick Paris, Places to Explore, and you'll find topics like "Latin Quarter at a Glance" articles with links to hotels, restaurants, etc.