Search

paris -3 days

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris -3 days

Hello

My son, 20 yrs old is going to paris Feb 10-13 with 2 friends.

What are the must see areas there for young people. I understand that Versailles and the Louvre need a whole day each. Maybe he should skip the Louvre since he can go to the museums in NY.

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM

HI
with all due respect, maybe it's your son who could first indicate what he is or isn't interested in. If he doesn't want to go to the Louvre that's fine, but I don't see what it has to do with going to museums, or not, in NYC.
If they do choose to go, a couple of times per day there's a 90 minute walking tour, in English, of just a few of the masterpieces in the Louvre, such as the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, etc.
The Louvre website, www.louvre.fr, is a great resource.

If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, you can find a lot of suggestions for Paris, including suggestions for what to see in just a few days. Your son could pick and choose what interests him.
Also, there are guidebooks and websites, "Let's Go" is one book that comes to mind, that have student-aged people in mind, and would be great for suggesting clubs and cafes.

On a 3 day trip, I would recommend doing without a trip to Versailles.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:39 AM
ira

Dear madi,

I also suggest that he speak for himself.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:44 AM

I think he should just get a guidebook aimed at kids that age, maybe Let's Go, and give it a read. It can probably help him figure out what sounds good to him, and his friends, of course.

I agree that with such a short time in Paris, I would not devote a day to the Louvre and agree one should do things that can't be done elsewhere easily. Versailles is probably a bit much for such a short trip, also.

I think he'd like being around Notre Dame and that area, maybe going up to Sacre Coeur and Montmartre, and should see the Champs-Elysees and perhaps walk from the Arc to the Louvre. Hanging around in those places would probably be enough.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM

Since your son is at an age when specific interests are formed, I would suggest purchasing (or borrowing from the library) a travel guide to Paris. This would provide him with a brief description of various places that may interest him. The following links may be of interest:

Paris Superthread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

Guide to Paris with very useful info and amusing read:
http://troi.cc.rochester.edu/~tdip/tomsguidetoparis.htm

Just wanted to add that with all due respect to the wonderful museums in NY, you cannot simply bypass the Louvre in lieu of the existence of other museums, no matter how wonderful they may be. I say this from the viewpoint of someone who loves art and art history. IF your son is not that interested in art then this would not be at the top of his list of things to see/do in Paris.

Hope he has a wonderful time!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:11 AM

The Time Out Paris guidebook also is good for younger folks. One magnet for people a few decades younger than me is rue Oberkamf in the 11th arrondissement. Very lively night scene that started some years with the now-classic Cafe Charbon, which is jammed every night.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM

Two thoughts:
1. At age 20, I think you son is really old enough to plan the trip himself.
2. I live in New York and wouldn't think of skipping the Louvre (and Musee d'Orsay) on a trip to Paris.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:28 PM

We did the Louvre and notre dame with lunch at the louvre in 8 hours without being rushed! Both are must sees.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:30 AM

Cut Madi, and Madi's son, some slack. He may be making the trip simply because his friends are. When he arrives, he's likely to realize what a good move he made!