Paris

Mar 8th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Paris

I will be in London from 25/03/15 onwards. Planning to spend some time in Paris from 02/04/15 to 06/04/15 in Paris as I will be departing from Heathrow Airport on 7/04/15 12noon flight .

1. Anything insteresting in Paris beside the Lourve and Eiffel Tower ?
2. Best and cheapest way to travel from London to Paris ?
3. Best and most affordable way to travel around Paris ?
4. Best and affordable tour agencies/operators?
5. Clean,affordable, safe and convenient location to stay?

Please advice as this is my first time to Paris and wish to enjoy my stay there =)

Thank you very much in advance for any advice that will be provided by all members =)
Mar 8th, 2015, 11:53 PM

1: Depends on your interests, but, yes, of course - the destination guide on this site and any good guide book will give you plenty of ideas depending on your tastes.

2: If you're already in London, the Eurostar train from city centre to city centre.

3: Public transport (metro and bus):
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/visiting-paris/
http://goparis.about.com/od/transpor..._and_Buses.htm

4: No idea, but if you can manage a little French it's really not difficult to do it yourself.

5: What's your budget?
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm
Mar 9th, 2015, 12:22 AM

1. You are in desperate need of a good guide book. DK Eyewitness, Fodors, or Michelin Green guides are all very good.

2. Eurostar is very easy and very inexpensive if you purchase tickets well in advance. It´s too late for cheap tickets for this month but you can take a look:

www.eurostar.com
www.capitainetrain.com/

3. Individual tickets t+ purchased in blocks of 10 unites at 14.10€ (or 1.80€ each). The ticket t+ is valid for buses, métro, funicular, or tramways.

4. You do not need a guide or tour group. See answer #1.

5. All of Paris is safe. All hotels in Paris are near public transportation. I have no idea what affordable might mean to you. For hotel suggestions, please state a budget window in euros.
Mar 9th, 2015, 12:31 AM

Now I am confused. Are you going to Paris or Amsterdam?
Mar 9th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Paris is endlessly interesting. You really do need a good guidebook. Start your research by using the "Destinations" tab at the top of this page to see just some of the things you should do while there.
Mar 9th, 2015, 05:37 AM

I'm confused also. Is it Paris or Amsterdam?
Mar 9th, 2015, 01:34 PM

Anything insteresting in Paris beside the Lourve and Eiffel Tower

Seriously?
Mar 10th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Havana - please don't be offended. as someone living outside of Europe, I only saw these 2 most famous landmarks.

Patricklondon, Sarastro and mamcalice, thank you for the info. Will look into it and decide.

Is my first time travelling to Europe and are afraid *scary*

lastly, sorry for any confusion or inappropriate words.
Mar 10th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Havana - please don't be offended. as someone living outside of Europe, I only saw these 2 most famous landmarks.

Patricklondon, Sarastro and mamcalice, thank you for the info. Will look into it and decide.

Is my first time travelling to Europe and are afraid *scary*

lastly, sorry for any confusion or inappropriate words.
Mar 10th, 2015, 02:16 AM

Hi Annie, start with the information on Paris you can find here on Fodors;
http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/france/paris/
We have absolutely no idea what you like to do and what your itnterests are; museums, shopping, churches, just wandering around. If you're not interested at all in the Louvre or the Eiffel Tower, don't go there.
You'll have to read a bit more, decide what's important to you, then come back with more questions.

First of all you need to decide wether you want to go to Paris or Amsterdam after London. Paris is easier, as it's a short trip on the Eurostar.
Then decide on what you want to spend on a hotel in Euros per night, and people can give you recommendations.

But you should book your tickets asap, as they get more expensive every day you wait.
Mar 10th, 2015, 03:33 AM

Anything insteresting in Paris beside the Lourve and Eiffel Tower ?

Absolutely not. It is a dull dull dull place--for pete's sake.
If this is all you have seen about Paris, then as suggested above, you REALLY need to get a guide book and STUDY it and decide on what is interesting to you.
Are you spending months in Paris? and then a month in London? Do you have an unlimited budget?
If you are going so soon, you'd better be doing some reading.
Mar 10th, 2015, 04:02 AM

The OP is asking about London and Paris, where does any mention of Amsterdam occur?
Mar 10th, 2015, 04:04 AM

Come on guys we were al newbies one day.

London, is way big with loads to do with much of it free. Paris is a fair bit smaller but loads of stuff to visit (much of it a small charge), yes they speak French so signs and announcements will be odd but in the travel industry everyone will speak English.

Amsterdam, (see Paris)

We need to know what you like to do on holiday, how much you expect to spend on stuff and then we can help
Mar 10th, 2015, 05:38 AM

"The OP is asking about London and Paris, where does any mention of Amsterdam occur?"

She has almost the same post re: Amsterdam. I am guessing she is trying to decide between the 2 and English isn't her first language and she isn't a seasoned traveler.
Mar 11th, 2015, 03:18 AM

Ah, Debit, the old two post trick!
Mar 11th, 2015, 06:20 AM

1. Yes! A lot. Paris has many amazing museums (Musée d'Orsay, Musée Picasso that just reopened a few weeks ago after several years of renovation, the Centre Gerogrge Pompidou, among many others). You can just stoll in the streets and along the River Seine. The best areas: Le Marais, Saint Germain des Pres and the 1st arrondissement (around Le Louvre).

2. I would say Eurostar that makes the link directly from center London to center Paris. Convenient and cheap if you book well ahead.

3. Metro! They are A LOT of metro stations in the city. Esay, convenient and cheap.

4. Sorry, I cannot help with this but I can recommend a conciergerie service: Clé Privée. http://www.cleprivee.com/. A good concierge in your hotel will help you as well!

5. Location is very important. I recommend to stay in the central arrondissements to go anywhere in Paris really easily. Hôtel Brighton (http://www.paris-hotel-brighton.com/en/) and Hôtel d'Orsay (http://www.paris-hotel-orsay.com/en) are a must.
Mar 11th, 2015, 06:37 AM

Please pick up a Rick Steves Paris guidebook. That will help you considerably. This is a wonderful opportunity and you will want to make the most of it.
Mar 11th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Annietan - at the top of this page to the right you can search the forum. Just type in Paris and you will see lots of posts with great info.
Mar 11th, 2015, 08:51 AM

I have no idea what your budget for hotels are ( you really need to give more information to get the most specific answers) but I can recommend this one as being cheap, clean,and has an EXCELLANT location.. I have stayed there as a solo woman and with my hubby. Rooms are plain and very small however.
Hotel St Pierre on Rue Ecole du Medicine ( there are a few hotels with similar names.. this is the one you want) .

If you can spend a tad more then look at Hotel Eugenie or Hotel Diana, or for a bit more again,, Hotel Le Regent or Hotel de la Place du Louvre.

I have stayed in all of them.. they are all in safe and very convenient areas for walking about and seeing sites.

If you have lots of money I personally would stay at the Hotel Aubusson..love the area and its a nice hotel.. but its out of my price range.

If you visit a museum rent the audio guides.. they help make it way more interesting.
A boat cruise in evening is fun and easy to do..

One tour company I have used and had a hoot with is Fat Tire Bike Tours.. easy and fun.. take it the first day or so to get the lay of the land so to speak.