Search

Good Paris Book

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Danny

Good Paris Book

I will be going to Paris the first week of January and would like to buy a GOOD travel book on the city. Can anyone please recommend one!<BR><BR>(PS-I had 3 years of French in high school 8 yrs ago and wanted to get a book to catch up-any recommendations for that would also help)<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:31 AM
elaine

Danny<BR>Do you mean just fun reading, or a guidebook?<BR>If a guidebook, we all have different preferences. You should go and browse for a while in a good bookstore and see which guidebook most appeals to you.<BR><BR>I think Fodor's guide to Paris is excellent. For a preview, go elsewhere on this Fodor's website and design your own "miniguide" for Paris.<BR><BR>If you like more historical and art information, Michelin's Green Guide is a step up in that area, but has essentially no info on restaurants, hotels, or basic practical info for getting around.<BR><BR>The 5X8" booklet <BR>The Paris Mapguide provides pages of excellent, detailed maps, plus good info on the metro and bus system, plus just a little on sightseeing suggestions.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Gretchen

I love the DK Eyewitness Guide to Paris and Michelin Green Guide. Neither are really much help for restaurants or hotels. I rely on the internet sites for that info and recommendations from sites like this. Also for restaurants Patricia Wells book on Paris is good for all levels of restaurants. The March 2001 issue of Gourmet was a really good guide for some offbeat things to do and places to eat also.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Jennifer

Hi Danny,<BR><BR>I use different guidebooks for different purposes. If I want to find more thorough evening entertainment, restaurants, and shopping, nothing beats "TimeOut in Paris." I like their candid views because they give impressions that aren't always positive.<BR><BR>For a general overview and a book to take with me, I prefer Lonely Planet.<BR><BR>For a funkier side of Paris, I absolutely love "Avant Guide to Paris."<BR><BR>I LOVE DK Eyewitness for their fabulous photos.<BR><BR>Michelin's is great for detailed information, especially about museums.<BR><BR>For someone who is completely unfamiliar with Paris, one of the "Dummies Guides" or "Idiot Books" (I don't recall their exact titles) are superb for clarifying new but sometimes confusing information about an unknown destination.<BR><BR>And Fodors has a great online forum. <BR><BR>;-)<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:54 AM
dan

thanks

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Peggi

I also enjoy the Rick Steves guide books, especially Mona Winks for the museums. <BR><BR>Paris to the Moon was a great read as was French Toast (both by Americans who have lived in Paris.)

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:24 AM
Christina

Danny, I think you've gotten several good recommendations. For Paris itself, I like the Michelin green guide for specific info on sites I want to see; for general info on the city and some places to see, I like the Access guidebooks, or Timeout. If you want more history included, others may be better, but the Michelin will include history if you have it, and it has some walking tours, also.<BR><BR>As for the French, I am a traditionalist in that regard and think real classes are the best way to learn. If you aren't going until January, you might look around your city and see if there's anything you can sign up for (if you want to take the time, I know it's time-consuming) at a local community college or recreation program, or an Alliance Francaise. As far as books, I only tried learning a little language from a book once and didn't get far, but it was a difficult language. There have been lots of posts on here, though, from those who have -- I believe Pimsleur is often recommended as a very good program. You can find them online or on Amazon.com. Try a search under "france" with "language" maybe, or "pimsleur" should work, also, on this forum to see more.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:58 PM
carol

Hi Danny,<BR><BR>For brushing up on French, I'd recommend the Berlitz Traveller's French phrase book. It's pocket-sized and comes with a language cassette. I found it very helpful. And, oh yes, keep the phrase book with you at all times and use it when necessary. I always feel more secure about speaking French when I have it with me, even if I don't use it!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Graziella

Hi Danny there is a fascinating book , travel book, about Paris is all of the above and more, <BR><BR>"The Collected Traveler, by Barrie Kerper, Three Rivers Press/New York, this book is fascinating for anyone.