Reload this Page >

DO YOU NEED TO PAY TIP IN ITALY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:14 AM
LYNN

FIRST TIME IN ITALY, WE REALY DON'T KNOW IF WE NEED TO PAY EXTRA TIP AFTER PAYING THE BILL. MOST RESTAURANTS IN PARIS, THE BILL INCLUDES SERVICE CHARGE. IS IT SAME IN ITALY?<BR>PLEASE GIVE ANY ADVISE.THANK YOU.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:19 AM
Bedi

Yes, I'm pretty sure the tip is included. I visited there a long time ago so I don't recall for certain. I think it's that way across europe. I know it's the same in Spain and France.<BR><BR>You will LOVE Italy!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:22 AM
z

please do something about that caps-lock key.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:31 AM
Laurina

Hello, Lynn. The tip is usually added into the price of the meal. Other times, they will add a coperto, which is a cover charge. This is usually 1-2 euros per person. If a tip is not included, it will say so on the bottom of the menu. Tipping is usually 5-15%.<BR>Have a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:38 AM
bigspender

Check the menu. It typically states it on the menu. If 10% is included then we didn't tip (maybe a little if great service). This was confirmed by other tables around us. Not always clear on the bill (maybe that's because we'd had vino by that point), but always found policy listed on the menu.<BR><BR>The coperto (cover charge) is charged to everyone and is not considered part of the tip.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:54 AM
kay

As Americans, we equate service with tips, so if the menus says "service included" (in Frenck, Italian, or Spanish), we think it means the price includes a tip. <BR>European waiters might differ with this interpretation this because a tip in addition to the "service" is standard in some areas, though not to the extent of 15-20% as in the U.S. One explained to me that "service included" means their salary is a living wage, but tips are welcome (unlike in the US where the legal wage for waiters is half the regular minimum wage and they really depend on tips for their livelihood). <BR>Therefore I usually leave some cash, up to 10%, as a tip. <BR>Note, Even if you use a credit card for the meal, be prepared to leave the tip in cash because some charge slips have no provision for adding it.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:23 PM
kaching

Kay - agree with what you said based upon our research prior to heading on vacation, but didn't find that to be the case while there. We ate in several nice restaurants and no one was leaving extra money (Americans and Europeans). Believe me we were scrutinizing tables the first few nights as didn't want to offend anyone. Don't want to be cheap, but also don't want to tip too much. <BR><BR>Funny thing is alot of Europeans equate Americans with flashy and showy with $$ so you can't win if you do or don't tip extra. We tipped a driver in Spain 10% for a great day and he was stunned. Very thankful, but it was incredibly awkward and you could tell this wasn't the custom. We used a driver in Italy for a wine tour and decided to buy him a nice bottle of wine at one of the vineyards (we had been discussing which ones he liked during the day). Felt like it was thoughtful without being awkward. Too bad there isn't a universal rule on this as I never want to stiff a good service person.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:37 PM
kay

Kaching: I probably tip too much because, like you, I do not want to stiff a good service person and would rather err on the side of generosity. After all, if I am spending a thousand dollars on my holiday, I can budget a few of those dollars for the service personnel.<BR>I left a tip equal to about $1 on the bathroom shelf in my Madrid hotel, adding another coin each day until I left -- I hope the maid finally realized it was OK for her to take it.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:40 PM
kaching

Kay Kay, don't even get me started on the stress about tipping maids in hotels LOL. Never sure what to leave, but usually do about a buck a day or so, depending on what I've asked from them (or how sloppy I've been that particular stay). Maybe someone should write a book on "How to Tip Appropriately Worldwide". I'd buy a copy (and a few as gifts for some friends that are more clueless than me)

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 12:52 PM
kay

Kaching: I'd buy that book too. Now that I think a bit more about it, I'd say tips are not expected in Spain, but that may not be the case in Paris and the big tourist cities of Italy. Rounding up when you pay in cash (leave 20E when the bill is 18.70, e.g.)is the custom among the locals, I think.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
Elena

Though it is always a pleasure to receive a tip, the accross the board American custom is not the same for Italians. Sometimes small change from the check is left on the table or in some instances a larger tip. It is not, however, something that is always done or expected. I'm sure it is always appreciated.