Parental Authorization Form?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm leaving for Italy one month from today!!! I am going alone with my 10 year-old son. We have only been out of the Country when going to Canada or on cruises to Mexico and the Carribean. For these trips I have a notarized letter from his father generally allowing be to take him out of the Country (it is about 3-4 years old.)

I have read that such letters should be specific as to dates and places. Should I get a new letter from him? Does it need to be specific? Is there a preferred format? Has anyone ever been asked to produce this type of documentation?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Yes, get an updated letter of authorization done.

We always include the flight details, specific dates and countries we will be visiting, as well as permission to make all necessary medical decisions. And, yes....get it notarized. You may never be asked for it, but it's best to have it in case you are.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Everything our dear Statia stated, make sure it is very specific to your travel dates, flights to be taken, etc. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just state all the facts and get it notarized.

That was good advice also Statia, regarding 'permission to treat' in the case medical attention is needed. You are such a smartie!

Have a fun journey jrmama4969!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I've traveled a lot between Canada, the U.S., and Europe without my husband and with our seven year old son. I travel on a Canadian passport and my son on a U.S. passport. I've been asked at every manned border crossing for the letter for the last six years. The current letter we have is a Special Power Of Attorney allowing me to cross all international borders and "to do all acts necessary or desirable for maintaining the health and welfare of my child while traveling outside of the United States to all international destinations." We got this from the military legal office, had it notorized, and I've never had a problem at a border. This POA is valid for 3 years. We've also traveled with just a notorized letter from my husband and didn't have problems with that either.

If you have trouble finding something that works for you, email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy of this one.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Does it have to be so specific? That would mean I need a new letter every time I travel with him. Does anyone know where I can find the exact requirements?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM

None of the letters I've used have been specific other than to specify "all international borders". We've had them be valid for between one and three years. So far it's been okay for Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and the U.S.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM

How specific it is jrmama, would probably depend on what your son's father wishes to state on the letter.

As you have seen from the above, he can either have a notarized letter for each individual trip, or as sardog10 states, they have used a 'blanket' letter covering a 1-3 year period.

His choice, just as if he was traveling out of the country with your son you could draw up the letter in the format of your choosing.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM

This website may be helpful:
www.aa.com/children
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM

You can also go to www.ilrg.com/forms (don't know why this is duplicating when I preview - sorry!)and search for travel authorization for minor. An attorney suggested the site to me. You can just copy and paste the info into a word document and make the changes you need. We're using this for a child we're taking with us overseas this month.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Sardog graciously offered to send a copy of the letter they have used.

I will also ad this example for you:
http://www.all-travel.com/form_minor.html

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM

tying too fast there, that should read "add" not "ad"

Hopefully you will be all set, jrmama, have a wonderful time in bella Italia!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Oh good grief, Tiff... "tying"

Forget it, lol, you get my drift.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM

guess I'd better bookmark this considering I'll be going to Europe alone with my two 12 year olds. It never occurred to me when I travelled in 1998 with my then 8 year old. Was that a big risk or is this all new now?

Should my husband have a form like this when leaving the country with our 17 year old???

sigh - one more thing to do (but a worthwhile one I admit!)