Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any problems crossing border with driver's license and birth certificate?...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the new passport law (for flying) went into effect in late January.....

Wondering if there's been any problems crossing the border (either direction) in a car or on the ferry with a driver's licence and birth certificate?

Is it taking longer?

We will be traveling in June (by car and ferry) and have decided NOT to get a passport so I'm wondering if all is going well with border crossing.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I think it is too early to tell. TSA is to put it mildly often hard to deal with.

I suggest going ahead and getting passports. You will need them soon anynow for any and all travel outside of the USA. They are good for 10 years.

What I have found is that entry into Canada is rarely a problem if one answers the questions of the border offical with a direct gaze a the questioner. Don't play games, don't get cute, and you will have a minimal delay.

Returning is a different matter. I have had trouble even with a passport from a TSA joker who must have had indigestion compounded by a headache. A passport should have gotten me back in with no questions, as it was I had to play verbal tag. I finally asked the guy what right he had to deny me entry when I had a valid passport. That was the wrong thing to say!!

So in short, I think you need to ask in a few weeks after more people have had a chance to get a little more experience with the new regulations.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bob_brown...I will go ahead and ask again over the next few months.

Re: passports....We realize we will need them eventually but we're a family of 6 and don't have another $600 in the budget for the passports (that supposedly aren't needed since we're entering by ferry and leaving by car).

I will have the birth certificates ready and I'm hoping for no problems...but I really appreciate your advice about no game playing or getting cute. My husband likes has a great sense of humor but I will tell him to be quiet that day as the border officials won't find him humorous at all. Great advice! Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I didn't want to afford it either for our family of five but the thought of having my family of five detained was WAY more than I wanted to plan for... so I planned to avoid that scenario... by purchasing the passports. Why risk it and possibly ruin a trip?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I live near the US/Can border and have not experienced any new delays or problems....however, agents have told me that inspections and scrutiny increase along with the status of the color warning alert system.

They are also telling border crossers that they should get their passports now to avoid the end of 2007 logjam.

Why not stagger your passport aps by one or two family members each month and get a head start? They're good good for 10 years and are more and more necessary for all types of travel(Mexico, and the islands as well as Canada)
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
LJ

No to be unduly gloomy, but although it is your firm intention to arrive and depart by car or ferry, what if the unthinkable occured and you had an accident or medical emergency that meant you all or just some of you, had to return seperately and by plane? It does happen. Get the passports.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I agree with Gary about staggering passports. I know $600 is a lot and could easily be the make or break to going on a vacation so getting everyone a passport now may not be an option.

However, maybe you can afford to get you and your husband passports. That should help at the border somewhat.

Then you can get the kids their passports after the trip (staggering as needed).
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM

The only time I had a problem with the Canadian border officials was when we had plums in our little ice chest. We ate them and went on.

The only time I have seen a vehicle searched was at the station between Glacier National Park and Waterton. The guy in line ahead of me was driving a crazy looking VW camper van. When asked about alcohol, tobacco and firearms he said he had enough hotch to get all the Indians drunk and enough boom-boom to blow up that end of Alberta.

The man asking the questions directed him to a small parking area and the van was soon taken over by 4 more officers who began making the insides of the van the outsides.

As I drove off, the pile of stuff on the pavement was still growing!!

I did not hang around to see if he had to reload it all himself!!

Once when I crossed the border into Canada, the sun was very bright. Naturally I had on my sunglasses, which I was asked to remove. I did and answered the questions.

Before going on, we took advantage of the restroom at the border station. Inside I caught a glimpse of the backroom: metal vests and automatic weapons were visible. The Canadians try to keep it low key, but one should get the idea rather quickly that they can be firm when the occasion demands it.

I wish to emphasize, however, that all of my dealings with them have been polite, professional, and efficient.

Now TSA folks are another matter. Coming home has resulted in more than one hassle for no good reason at all.
It does not seem to matter where, the story follows a similar pattern.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM

My husband has been crossing the border (from BC Canada) for six years with no passport and hasn't had a second look. We just breeze through. Our last crossing was last fall. But a relative drove across the border in Ontario last week without a passport and said it was just fine.

So, I can't see why you'd need passports although it did cross my mind, as LJ mentioned, that it could pose a problem if an emergency flight was needed.