Taking a minor relative into Canada.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about taking two nephews to Toronto during their Spring Break. We live in California. One is 18 and the other is 15. I am assuming that the 18 year old just needs a passport. Was wondering what the 15 year old will need and where can we find out the rules. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 08:45 PM
wow

You will need a letter from the parents/guardians of the 15yo authorizing entry into Canada. And, valid Id for him.
For detailed info go to
www.cic.gc.ca
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM

Make sure to have the note from his parents notorized.

What a nice aunt or uncle you are!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:34 PM

If you are flying, I believe everyone will need a passport to reenter the US.

The US government is coming up with some passport alternative for ground travel. If you are traveling by ground, you need to keep up with info on the US State Dept website, at:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:52 AM

PSCSB-

We did this 2 years ago with a nonrelated minor friend of our daughter. In addition to a passport, we prepared and brought 2 [notarized] affidavits, one from each parent.

The information we included came from either the airline website or the Canadian consulate website--I can't recall which right now.

It generally recited the identities of the parents, their adress, how to contact them, that we had permission to take their child into Canada, the expected duration of the trip, where they understood their child would be staying and I think I vaguely recall we put something in there about assuming financial responsibility for any medical bills they might incur in Canada.

I believe we also got the parents to execute limited powers of attorney in our favor to authorize medical care in the event of a some sort of emergency.

I may still have this stuff on my old computer and will be happy to look for it if you want.

Also, upon arrival at the Montreal airport Canadian immigration asked the girl a few questions about who we were and why she was with us, etc.

My understanding is that concerns about a divorced, noncustodial parent taking a child out of the country [i.e. jurisdiction of US Courts] prompt these types of questions.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Agree with beaux's suggestions, especially 1) the detail in the affidavit and 2) the separate medical authorization. The 15 yr old should also get a passport.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the information. Looks like there is some work to be done here. Good thing there is 3 months plus to go. Got them started on getting their passports. Will tackle the paperwork side later this week. Happy Holidays to all.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I used to carry letters of permission from my ex-husband when I travelled internationally with my son. I was never once asked for them.