Paper Pants at Vatican?

Search

Paper Pants at Vatican?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paper Pants at Vatican?

My husband and I are leaving for Italy this Friday. I've been checking the weather and it's been in the 70's, which is very nice, and my husband will want to wear shorts during the day. I know that during the heat wave this summer there were vendors selling paper pants outside the Vatican. Does anyone know if they are still selling them? I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Paper shorts? That's a new one to me, but I believe you. Tell you husband to make a great purchase before he goes. I bought a pair of lightweight pants with the zip off legs, converting them to shorts. One of the smartest things I've done. Those lower legs pieces can roll up to nothing and fit in a pocket and if you need them on or want to dress up a little more, you just zip them on! Also great for those days that start out cool and then by noon you're dying of the heat.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 03:15 PM

You are joking, right? To walk into a church, any church, let alone St. Peter's without the proper attire??!!?Paper pants? Part of your plans?!!? I think I have to throw-up...wait..I am better now. Just dyed my paper pants black, goin'up top the Hassler tonight,they'll give me a clip-on tie.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:32 PM

If you painted stripes on them you could claim to be a Paper Tiger...
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:38 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in563585.shtml
valerie: Maybe you could take along a pair of those really thin nylon (same material Windbreakers are made of) work-out pants. They roll-up very small and would be very easy to carry around. Regards, Walter
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM
lyb

Valerie,

They may still be selling those paper pants, but for the day that you will be visiting the Vatican, why doesn't your husband wear a pair of regular pants. When I was there this summer, it was in the 90's (farenheit) and humid, but men did wear pants to the Vatican. It won't be that hot that he'll sufficate, it's only one day, plus he might want to have pants on the trip anyway for nicer restaurants.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM

If my husband wore paper pants I wouldn't be seen with him.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I wouldn't want to be seen with anyone wearing those zipper pants things, I think they are really ugly -- everyone knows what they are, they don't fool anyone; they don't like like regular pants.

I agree your husband should get over the idea that he has to wear shorts when it's in the 70s. HOwever, if he does, why not carry around a pair of those thin nylon pants in your totebag or something like that; or even scrub pants from a uniform place (like medical personnel wear), those are fairly easy to rollup very small. I think Walter's idea is a good one.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:35 AM

We were in Rome this summer and it was nearly 98 degrees. I didnt see anyone selling paper pants - but I have heard of them.
I second the recommendation of the pants/shorts that the legs zip off. Lots of men used them the day I was there.
Also - if you are traveling to any other cities besides Rome, you might find shorts are not permitted. We made visits to several duomo's that shorts were not permitted (and your shoulders need to be covered).
The sites are so breathtaking - you dont pay any attention to the heat!
Have a great trip!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Christina, it's nice to know you wouldn't want to be seen with anyone in those zipper leg pants -- the ones I saw thousands of European men wearing all this past summer -- but you don't mind being seen in the Vatican with a guy wearing medical scrub pants???
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM
PCHsmiles

As I recall from my last visit to see where the Pope lives, there was a giant crowds of people, so many one couldn't see one's feet. I'm betting no one will be able to tell he has on shorts. Now, I wouldn't puch it and let him wear short shorts, ulness you get him a bikini wax beforehand. But walking shorts, sure, what's the pointof (yea!) arguing.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM

I wonder if, after reading this post, people will still be asking what souvenirs to bring from Italy! Of course - paper pants!! Who ever heard of such a thing in USA? Do they come in different sizes and colors? Who need expensive paintings on the walls? Just frame those pants!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 11:53 AM
PCHsmiles

Faina, you are the wild child!! Bring me some, 32 waist.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM

PCH, only if you share your secret - how can you manage this tiny waist size
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:04 PM

When I was there this summer, the guards were being really strict. Even some people with LONG shorts (down to their mid-calves) were being turned away. I did not see any vendors with the paper pants or shawls. A woman did sell me her shawl (which she purchased from a shop nearby) for 5 Euros, when I was turned away for having a top that did not cover my arms. Some people were even using their big Rome city guide maps as shawls, out of desperation - (now that is really stretching it!!)
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Sorry, this thread is making me laugh. Between this talk of paper pants, medical scrubs, etc, I am also picturing that soon people will have paper robes (think: the kind you wear for a "women's" appt) available to cover ladies arms...

Then there will be no crowds because people will think they mistakenly have come upon a hospital!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:14 PM
PCHsmiles

Faina, at 185, it is work, work and more work. It's why I'm with a trainer tonight for 90 minutes - treadmill, stationary bike, machines and free weights. Gosh, if I were my old 178 I could be on my rear end drinking champagne and watching Erin select Chad or Wade tonight. Will she get the $2m, or will they jilt her and go home with $1m. What about poor Rob - rejected by Erin two times, and on national TV. And my goodness, I think I face some tough work tonight. At least I'll have my partner with me smiling me through the tougher reps and sets. Have a good evening, and take care. Happy Travels!!

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:16 PM

These paper pants could come in handy in many situations. You don't have to ask your waiter for another napkin- just peel a piece from your pant cuff! No toliet paper in the washroom? No problem! Of course, by the end of the day you might be stripped down to your underpants. Best keep an extra pair of paper pants folded in your money belt.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Fifteen years ago when we took our kids to Europe we were unaware of the need for long pants. We had to buy our boys the paper pants to go in. I think if you are aware of a rule--like no sleeveless dresses or the need to have your head covered --it is well to abide by it. Your husband knows what to expect so I would think he could dress accordingly for one day. The guards DEFINITELY see everyone's attire and enforce the rules.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 12:20 PM
PCHsmiles

... I hope I'll be forgiven for sticking with the original edible candy pants. Somehow that strikes me as more delectable than woofing down a wad of paper. Yuk! Well, will it be Wade or Chad tonight? And will he take Erin over the mil $?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -