Paging Ingo: Dresden Stopover

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ingo - Taking in your suggestion per one of your posts, I plan on stopping by in Dresden on my way to Prague (from Berlin) in July Can you help me with details on luggage storage at the train station, and what I can see/do and how to get into town for a short period of time (4 hrs, including the time to go back into town and back to train station .. is it enough, should I allow more time)? Any recommendations for a great place for quick lunch? Thanks!!
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:32 AM
J62

Historic Dresden is a compact area and is not far from the train station. The main sights are the Dresden Zwinger. The Frauenkirche Church and the Semper Opera House - all right near each other.

Dresden has a very informative web site www.dresden.de with event info, downloadable maps. Most of the info is avail in English, although some of the specific transportation details may only be in German.

There is an extensive network of bus and streetcars that are easy to use. I know there's a streetcar that runs from the train station right to the historic old town (#4 maybe??).

Gotta run now. Explore the website a bit and I or others can try to answer specific questions later.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM

It's about a 20 minute walk from the train station to town. Don't miss the Green Vault collection in the palace.
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Hi - good idea to have a break in Dresden.

Lockers are easily to find (signposted) in the Central Railway station (Hauptbahnhof). The station is a mess due to (re-)construction works, but it is still easy to navigate.

The tram No. 7 stops right in front of the railway station and runs into the city centre (direction: Weixdorf). Get off at stop "Synagogue". Turn left (westwards) there and walk on Brühl's Terrace, (the remains of the former city walls) to the cathedral/Schlossplatz square. From Brühl's terrace enjoy the views across the river and of the Frauenkirche. Have a look at the big mural (actually made of Meissen porcelain tiles) called Procession of Princes in the small street left of the Schlossplatz (not to miss).

Have a quick look in the cathedral and continue to the Theaterplatz square right behind the cathedral. I guess you will not have enough time to tour the famous opera house, but see the Zwinger courtyard and don't miss the small Nymphenbad (northwest corner).

For quick lunch I recommend the restaurant Paulaner's in the Hotel Kempinski Taschenberg Palais - although the hotel is a five star, the restaurant is very reasonably priced (they serve typical German/Bavarian food). The Paulaner's is located in the left wing of the Taschenberg Palais and has a nice terrace in the shadow (should be nice in July). The location of the hotel is right vis-a-vis from the Zwinger and the Royal Palace. Leave the Zwinger courtyard not through the Crown Gate, but through the pavillion with the chimes (eastern front).

After lunch you should have enough time to see the Green Vault collection in the Royal Palace, entrance right over there from the Taschenberg Palais. It is a "must" if you are interested in any sort of art, jewellery etc. (closed on Tuesdays, usually crowds on Wednesdays).

Take the tram back to the railway station from the nearby (2 min.) Postplatz square. Tram No. 6, 8 go right to the railway station (Hauptbahnhof), if you take tram No. 9, 11 you must get off at "Hauptbahnhof Nord".

Let me know when exactly you will be in Dresden and I'll see if I can get off a few hours to show you around. I would be glad to help you.

Ingo
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies I actually requested some brochures from Dresden Tourist Information website and received handful of very informative reading. I just felt a bit overwhelmed with so many options to choose from for only about 4 hrs stay, therefore I figured I'd ask from all of the experts in this board

Wow - thank you for the offer to show me around your hometown, Ingo, that's very kind of you. I hope that I will be able to return the favor one day.

I'll definitely be in Dresden on Wednesday July 6, but I am still debating whether I will be taking the 07:42AM or 9:42AM train from Berlin, which will arrive in Dresden 09:56AM or 11:40AM, respectively. I just think that 07:42 might be too early for me, but I also want a little bit more time in Dresden so I don't feel rushed. Can I let you know when the time gets closer?
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:03 AM

Hi again,

7:42 am sounds a bit early to me too I think you can make that decision later. Post again when your trips gets closer.

I am looking forward to meet you here.

I.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I also think that if I have to be in the train at 7:42, I'd have to wake up probably at least at 5
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Ingo - would you mind giving me your personal e-mail address so I could email you my arrival date? I am thinking that I'll email you as soon as I arrive in Berlin on Jul 2 and let you know what time I will be in Dresden on Jul 6. Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:08 PM

Sure, good idea! Here it is: [email protected]

Maybe I will be off the week when you arrive in Berlin. But I will be back by July 6 - so please don't be concerned if I don't reply right away.

See you, Ingo
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo!

Yudith
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:40 PM

Dresden apartment for gluten intolerant tourist
h2babe, J62 and ingo
The time seemed appropriate for an inquiry re Dresden. My sister and I (from Oz) visited Dresden and vowed to return to see the completed restoration of Dresden's famous church: we intend returning next year. Last visit we stayed at one of the three Ibis hotels near the main station, which was convenient, reasonably priced and a splendid location (as Ingo you would well know). My query is: could you recommend an apartment suitable for our forthcoming visit. Unfortunately my sister has developed a gluten problem thus needing to cook most of her own meals. The hotel you mentioned in your reply to h2babe should be able to cater for my sister, but should any gluten readers have any ideas re suitable restaurants, cafe, nearby grocers etc. selling gluten free products, this info would also be much appreciated. With apologies, guess the topic would not be of much interest to general European readers!
PhylJ
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

Hi PhylJ,

glad to hear you plan to re-visit! And I am sorry to hear about the gluten problem of your sister. I am not sure if I understand that correctly, but I have an idea ...

Here are some links to apartments in Dresden:

Right by the Frauenkirche:
http://www.dresden-tourismus.de/ferienwohnung.htm

A five minutes walk from the Zwinger palace, still central location:
http://www.pension-zwinger.de/

In a residential area in the south, sufficient tram/bus connection with the city centre:
http://www.ferien-bei-thieme.de/

In the Neustadt, right across the river from the Old Town:
http://www.suche-ferienwohnung.de/ty...d=1024&L=1

Sorry that only the latter is in English, most are in German ... if you like the picture of one of those (and the price ) please let me know and I'll translate.

There are groceries with a huge variety of food everywhere in Dresden. They have gluten-free food as well, I am sure. You don't need to walk (or take a tram) longer than 5 or 10 minutes.

Hope this helps a little. Let me know if you need more info.

Ingo