Dresden - Best Places to see in 6 hours

May 28th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Dresden - Best Places to see in 6 hours

I have heard so much about Dresden on this forum and decided to stopover for a few hours on our way from Berlin to Prague. I already booked our train ticket on bahn.de and we have about 6 hours for sightseeing.

What are the best places to visit in such a short time? We (my husband, myself and 15 yr old son) like museums, churches and good food so any suggestion will be most helpful.

Also, I have a question regarding lockers at the station. Are they big enough to hold standard size suitcases?

Thanks to all who reply.
May 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM

The Zwinger complex.

The "most important" parts are the Old and New Green Vaults (you need a reservation for the Old Green Vault) and the Gemaeldegalerie (which houses the paintings -- this is where Raphael's "Sistine Madonna" can be found). There are a few museums in this complex so you may end up deciding that something else is more interesting.

I did a half-day trip from Berlin and this was all I had time for. I forget how much time this took -- but probably 3-4 hours.

I didn't have time to see Frauenkirche (destroyed and rebuilt).
May 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I whole-heartedly agree...the Zwinger! So much to see and the highlight for me was the Picture Gallery that houses the Old Masters Gallery with paintings by Raphael, Rubens, Vermeer, Titian and others. It was glorious. This complex is full of interesting spaces - you will be glad you had several hours to explore.
May 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely put the Zwinger complex on the top of my list.

Did you take the train from Berlin? Was it easy to get to the Old Town from the main station and back?

May 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Where to begin? ;-)

Yes, the lockers are big enough for standard sized suitcases. No problem.

Good food:
Palais Bistro in the Kempinski Grand Hotel Taschenbergpalais has French inspired cuisine, gourmet "light" at very reasonable prices.

Paulaner's in the same hotel (and just around the corner has hearty Bavarian food - very good and even less expensive.

Alte Meister in the Zwinger complex/corner to the Opera house with beautiful view of Theaterplatz square and trees and flowers has also very good food - e.g. one of my favourites for small lunch is the baked goat cheese with tomato chutney on ruccola salad. Mid-range prices.

For coffee and delicious cakes/tarts try Coffeehouse Coselpalais right behind Frauenkirche. Not to beat (ambience!), a little more expensive than average but still ok.

Another option is Cafe Kreutzkamm on Altmarkt square. Or Cafe Vis-a-vis on Brühl's Terrace, part of Hilton Hotel.

Must see is the old town area from Frauenkirche to Zwinger. It's easy to navigate and very compact. Take a tram to a stop in that area or walk the 15 minutes (the latter recommended after 2.5 hours on the train).

Definitely visit the Frauenkirche (Church of our Lady), the Procession of Princes (mural of porcelain tiles), the catholic cathedral (Hofkirche), the Theaterplatz square. The latter is surrounded by the Royal Palace, the Zwinger and the Opera House. Tours for the Opera House are available a couple of times every day - highly recommended.

Walk around in the Zwinger's courtyard and on the roofs. Visit one of the museums there - Picture Gallery Old Masters is probably the best option, the Armoury should be very interesting and also the Porcelain collection, but pick only one!

In the Royal Palace see the New Green Vault - no chance to get a ticket for the Historic Green Vault for summer this year, sold out. Except for the 200 tickets that are sold at 10 am every day for the respective day, but you won't be that early in Dresden, right?

I also recommend that you climb up the Hausmannsturm (Tower) of the Royal Palace - excellent views. Buy a Day Ticket for the State Art Collections which provides free admmission to all the museums mentioned and the Tower of the Royal Palace. Family Day Tickets should be available too.

You'll be tired by then. ;-)

Have fun and let me know if you have more questions.

Ingo
May 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Hi, yes, I took the train. I took a very early one (I think it left before 6 am) because I didn't manage to reserve tickets for the historic Green Vault and I had to get there early to queue.

I can't remember whether it was Ingo or someone else who I think told me that there's a different train station that's a little closer to Zwinger. I got off there and I took a taxi to and from the train station because I had limited time.

I think the train station was Dresden-Neustadt (for "new town"). There's another station in Dresden after this one.

But someone here can probably help on that.

If you can't be in Dresden in time to get tickets for the historic Green Vault, I think the new one is very much worth seeing also. In fact there're just as many treasures in the new one, but the setting is modern rather than a reconstructed historical one (much of the section that housed the historic Green Vault was gutted by fires after the Allied bombings and had to be rebuilt).

May 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM

> I already booked our train ticket on bahn.de and we have about 6 hours for sightseeing.

Was it an advanced special discounted ticket or a normal one? Because in the latter case, you can take ANY train, if you decide to stay longer.
May 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Yup, that was me, 111op ;-)

However, here I think it's better to get off at Hauptbahnhof. More lockers, and if they're full or the suitcase too large then there is also a manned locker service in this station.

Also, no elevators in the Dresden-Neustadt railway station and it is a hassle to drag the luggage up and down the stairways.

I.
May 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I already the printed this page to bring with us on our trip.

111op, our train arrives Dresden at 10:52 AM at the main station in Old town. I guess we’ll just buy the ticket for the new Green Vault.

caroltis, I am so excited I included Dresden on this trip even for a few hours. I love Renaissance paintings. When we went to the Louvre and the Prado a couple of years ago, I thought I was in heaven.

altamiro, I bought the discounted weekend ticket (50% off the regular price) which doesn’t allow any changes or refund. With three of us traveling, we saved quite a bit on the fare.

Ingo, thanks for all your recommendations. We will do our best to fit in our schedule the itinerary you suggested. The info on the lockers is very helpful (I didn’t find it in any guide books). After reading your posts on this forum, our family is looking forward to visiting your amazing city.