Dresden City Jubilee this July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm still working on my Dresden itinerary. If you could help with a couple questions, I'd sure be appreciative!

It seems as though Dresden is having quite the celebration this summer! I noticed a few concerts, etc. during the time we'll be there (3 nights, beginning 20 July). It's just a bit difficult to exactly figure out what the activities are (my limited German!). Is there any activity in particular that you could recommend, or conversely, an area that should be avoided?

Also, we are out of luck for the concert at the Frauenkirche (sold out), but it looks as though there is one at the Kreuzkirche on 22.07 and also Dresden-Kaditz on 21.07. I can't figure out if online booking is necessary, or is it just walk-up?

The evening Dixieland riverboat, any comments?

From my reading, it looks like Zwinger will be a full day, then there's the Albertinum (although it doesn't appear the main collection of the Green Vault will be open--sigh...). It doesn't seem like we'll have enough time for Suchsische Schweiz, right? Can't quite squeeze that in, or should we?

Thanking you in advance.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Hi kopp,

I am glad to help with some information. Yes, we celebrate the 800th anniversary of Dresden - and the celebrations started in January with the Semper Opera Ball. The celebrations/events will culminate in the "Festival week" July 14 - 23 which you mentioned and the City Festival in August (including a parade).

In general there is no area which should be avoided but - if you dislike crowds you better avoid the city centre! I am very sure the celebrations draw a huge crowd.

Right on your arrival day (20 July) there is an open air concert which I will definitely visit. They show Sergej Eisenstein's classical movie "Panzerkreuzer Potemkin" (don't know the English name) and the Pet Shop Boys and the Dresden Symphonic Orchestra play live. Location is Prager Strasse, a pedestrian zone of the 1970s. Tickets for about 12 -15 Euro should be available at any ticket office in town.

Through the days you'll be here there are markets and street festivals planned in the old town. I think the medieval market on Schlossplatz square should be quite nice, you won't be able to miss it ;-) A highlight will be the performance of "Plasticients Volants" (they performed at the Olympics in Barcelona and Sydney) called "Moon" vis-a-vis the old town at the right bank of the Elbe river on Sat, 22 July, start 10 pm (free, probably best view from Brühl's Terrace and Augustus bridge).

Too bad you are out of luck for the Frauenkirche concert. But you should try again at the day of the concert (in the morning) - sometimes tickets are returned. For the concert in the Kreuzkirche you can just show up (or if you walk by you could buy in advance, which should be one or two Euro cheaper). The church in Kaditz is difficult to reach by public transportation - it's a small village at the edge of the city.

Highly recommended are the open-air concerts in the Zwinger courtyard. There are two in the days when you'll be in Dresden: July 20 and 21, 6.30 pm. You just show up and buy the ticket (10 or 12 Euro). Or you just walk by on July 20 and watch/listen from the freely accessible part of the courtyard and decide if it is worth to buy a ticket for the next evening. According to the schedule they perform scenes from the ballet "Summer Night Dreams".

Did you notice that they play "West Side Story" in the Semper Opera? There are performances on the days you'll be in Dresden in the afternoon and evening. Tickets still available.

If you like Dixieland you can try the Dixieland riverboat. I have no personal experience, though. I must confess I don't like the food which is served on the paddle steamers. Nothing special, unfortunately. IMO it is better to do the steamboat trip by day (from the old town to Pillnitz Palace). There are enough other activities in the evenings (and better food elsewhere!).

I don't think you need a full day for the Zwinger. Calculate an hour for wandering around, gazing at the architecture and sculptures from outside (Crown Gate, Nymph's Bath, Wall Pavillion, Chimes Pavillion, walk on the roofs). Then it depends how much time you plan to spend visiting the State Art Collections: A must is the Picture Gallery Old Masters, also the Porcelain Collection. Of course, you can spend another two hours in each, but you don't have to - and I think it would be visual overload. Beside these two I recommend a quick look into the sculptures exhibit (right wing from Wall Pavillion) and the Watches Collection/Mathematical-Physical Salon (old scientific instruments/globes). A day ticket for the State Art Collections is 10 Euro, btw.

The Albertinum is closed for a couple of years (reconstruction). I highly recommend the current exhibit "Rodin in Germany" in cooperation with the Rodin museum Paris and the Bucerius Art Forum Hamburg, which is on disply in the Exhibition building on Brühl's Terrace, linked to the College of Fine Arts, next to the Albertinum. It is the building with the cupola which looks like a lemon squeezer and a "Fame" figure on top.

The New Green Vault is located in the Royal Palace, entrance vis-a-vis from the Zwinger and Kempinski Taschenberg Palais Hotel. It is definitely a must to see. Although the interior of the rooms is modern - unlike in the Historical Green Vault, which is going to reopen in Sept - the pieces on display are some of the finest jewelleries worldwide.

Definitely try to squeeze in a tour (if you don't attend a performance of West Side Story) of the Semper Opera house. Magnificent interior and it's just a magical place for classical music.

The catholic cathedral is also worth to see. Beautiful Baroque organ (free organ play on Saturdays 11.30 am) and magnificent main altar painting by Raphael Anton Mengs. Have a look at the beautiful four chapels at the corners and the Baroque pulpit.

The Frauenkirche will be crowded as usual. But go in, see the altar, the frescos of the cupola and don't miss the underchurch. Read about its history, especially the reconstruction as a symbol of reconcilation.

All this (plus maybe a paddle steamer trip to Pillnitz Palace) should keep you occupied for Friday and Saturday. No chance to go to Sächsische Schweiz on these days. You'll pass through on your train ride to Prague, however, and see what you missed. The train to Prague will stop in Bad Schandau and if you leave Dresden early you could spend some hours in the National Park Sächsische Schweiz. Store your luggage in the lockers in Bad Schandau and take an S-Bahn train back to Kurort Rathen (2 stops) where you can cross the river by ferry and hike up to Bastei for the most famous view. This short side trip would take about 3 hours I think so you could hop on the train to Prague 4 hours later in Bad Schandau. Just an idea.

I would like to show you around one day if you're interested, but cannot say yet if I will have time. I am leaving on July 23 for a short trip to Hamburg and don't know what sort of packing/preparations I'll have to do the days before. Maybe Friday would be an option.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Ingo
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ingo. You information is always appreciated.

I didn't mean to sound as though Zwinger and Albertinum were the only things on my list. Heavens! I've got 42 places of interest on my itinerary, and only 2 1/2 days! Who knew Dresden had so much!

The music in the evenings all over town sounds delightful. Usually after dinner we're looking for something to do, except resting LOL!, so these sound inviting. I'd read about West Side Story being on so I may look into that again. A German rendition of the New York rival gangs? hmmmm... But if nothing else, a tour of the opera house is definitely high on the list. And who are the Pet Shop Boys? Am I dating myself by not knowing??

Interesting about the location of the New Green Vault. My guidebook (Michelin Germany '05 edition) shows it's still in the Albertinum. Thanks for that update.

And of course we won't miss the churches. I love the churches!

"A visual overload" in the art galleries? Talk to my husband about that. He could stay for hours and hours....

Ingo, the personal guide? Whoa, what a treat that would be! Let's see how our times match up as it gets closer.

Just as an aside, the other day you gave the link to the Reichstag Tower restaurant in Berlin. Well, I emailed them, made a reservation. All set. Today I get a call from them (yes, to me in Texas!), saying that that time would not work as the German Parliament is coming there and will take up the whole place from noon to 5 pm, so could I pick another date. I was stunned that they would be that considerate, to call and just ask me to pick whenever and they would fit me in.

To top it off, as I was speaking to the gal, there was a lot of noise in the background, yelling of all sorts. Then she comes back on to say that Germany had just won their football match! Congratulations! (DH is a BIG fan. Haven't seen him much the past week since the games started!)

Thanks, Ingo

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM

Hi again Kopp,

no need to know the Pet Shop Boys. They are a Pop-band from the 1980s, doing some other projects like classical music nowadays. They composed a so called "Hochhaussinfonie" for Sergej Eisenstein's old movie. The musicians of the Dresden Symphonic Orchestra are going to play live from the balconies of the large apartment block while the movie is on play. You can simply call it an open-air cinema with live (classical) music.

The West Side Story is going to be performed by a company from New York if I am right. There is another post here on Fodors where a poster mentioned they will visit Dresden, then Prague and then drop off their son who will play/sing/dance (whatever) in that musical in Dresden. She recommends it ;-)

I had a look at the agenda for July once more. There is an organ concert in the Kreuzkirche scheduled for Thursday, 20 July 3 pm, which is free and just 20 minutes long. The other organ concert on Sat, 22 July 3 pm in the Kreuzkirche is a "real" concert, about an hour I think and includes works of Bach, Couperin, Franck. Not free, though - ticket should be 5-10 Euro, you can just show up I believe.

I noticed another interesting concert: Sat, 22 July 7.30 pm in the Dreikönigskirche (right bank, Inner Neustadt). The students of the Heinrich-Schütz-Konservatorium (a music school in Dresden) and the Dresdner Motetten choir play a summer concert.

Too bad you did not get tickets for the Frauenkirche, but I heard and read there are still some tickets available which are going to be sold right that evening. Please ask your hotel staff and inquire at the Frauenkirche information/ticket centre which is close to the Hilton.

So your hubby is a big art fan? He will be satisfied in the Picture Gallery Old Masters, I am sure. Right today I visited together with a student from Texas (funny coincidence, eh?) and we spent about 2 hours in that picture gallery. Not that we saw everything ... barely half of all. And we only rushed through some rooms ... Btw, we also visited the Rodin exhibit and it is indeed fantastic.

The story with the Reichstag restaurant is unbelievable. I did not expect such great service from a German restaurant, especially not from a restaurant which caters to tourists mostly.

Thanks for the congratulations on the soccer match. Hm, I am a soccer fan too, but not as much as others ... and I am a bit sceptic about the German team. We will see ...

Greetings from now cool Dresden (after a Thunderstorm),

Ingo
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM

spending time with ingo is a highlight of any dresden trip!!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I had to post to this since I will also be in Dresden fm Saturday 22 Jul through Monday 24 Jul. I saw the message on West Side Story. I will actually be visiting my son who is in this production - it is out of New York (Sundance Productions)- very good. They have been all over Asia and in Italy, the Netherlands before Germany.

I am looking for a hotel for the 2 nights my daughter and I will be there. We were supposed to stay at the Westin where the West Side Story troupe is staying but they have no rooms because of the festival. Any suggestions? Price is not an issue.

Also, I will be glad to meet you at the show if you can get tickets. My son can most likely take you back stage and to meet the cast if you like.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello PennyAnn - how exciting for you to see your son in a Dresden performance of West Side Story!

We are keeping the night of the 22nd open as I am hoping to secure tickets for the organ concert at the Frauenkirche that night. Right now, the concert is sold out, but Ingo has said there may be tickets available that day. So I have my fingers crossed for that!

If that doesn't work out, it is very possible we will go to the Saturday performance of West Side Story. It sure would be fun to meet, and your offer of a backstage tour sounds delightful!

As far as available hotels on your dates, I did a very quick search. On booking.com, they have a rate for the Kempinski (#1 on tripadvisor) for around $500 USD for the 2 nights you need. I used them to book my Berlin nights, and checking with the hotel, everything is just fine with using this booking service.

Ingo, this question is also for you - how do I get in touch with either of you if we are to meet? My email is fraukopp at yahoo dot com. Maybe we could talk offline about details. I'm leaving on the 13th.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM

rhkkmk, you're too kind as always It is my pleasure to show other travellers around. They will soon realise I am proud of the city and eager to tell about it. That can be a pain, LOL!

PennyAnn, how exciting, indeed! I am still not sure, however, if your son can manage to show other visitors the backstage area. But it would of course be great to meet a member of the company!

The Kempinski Taschenbergpalais should be your No. 1 choice. Great hotel, 200 m from the opera. Other excellent options are the Bülow Residenz (5star) close to the Westin, in an old Patrician town house, or the recently opened Maritim Hotel right by the Elbe river (ask for room to the river or view to the opera), or the Steigenberger de Saxe, opposite Frauenkirche (neighbourhood is construction site, though, but not noisy at the moment).

Kopp, I am going to contact you at the email you gave. Will also tell my cell phone No. Looking forward to see you!

I.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Ingo/Kopp

Thanks for your responses. I booked before reading these posts (anxiety) at the art'otel dresden. Do you know anything about this place? I know it is new. It looked great and was rated well at www.hrs.de. I also read about it on a few Dresden posts. How far is it from the Westin?

I did try to get on the Bulow website but it does not have an English translation. The Steinberg was an option but the place I booked looked more interesting.

We have nothing planned yet except for the show. We will be in Dresden 2 nights, then I think one night in Prague (or can you suggest somewhere my son, daughter, and I can go for one night that is between Dresden and Munich so he can take the train back. From there we will spend 3 nights in Munich and do tours from there. Then off to Frankfort for home.

I plan to read all these posts more carefully in the next day or so so I can make plans.

Kopp: once I firm up my hotel, I will provide info so we can meet up if you decide to see West Side Story.

Any other tips the two of you can provide will be appreciated.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Hi
Ingo, the Eisenstein movie title in English is the "Battleship Potenkin" a classic silent film from Russia about a military mutiny [I saw it a long time ago] aboard a Tsarist battleship.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:29 PM

In fact this movie is being shown outdoors on 7&8July2006 at Millennium Park in Chicago. It is a silent movie but was presented with a score by Dimitri Shostakovich. That score will be played by the Grant Park Orchestra live--at least the second time they have done so.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Thanks aeiger.

PennyAnn, the art'otel is - no doubt - an excellent hotel. I personally do not like those minimalistic style "art" or "design" hotels, though. Too "cold" IMO. Service etc. should be very good.

Location is relatively central. Only 5 - 10 min. walk to the Semperoper. The Westin is located on the other side of the river - 3 stops by tram (one change) or about 15 - 20 min. walking (across Marienbrücke and then through gardens along the river.

I don't get it why you don't spend just another day in Dresden or do a day trip to another interesting town or scenic place (National Park?) in the vicinity. No need to check out/in and packing/unpacking and wasting much time.

I.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Ingo:

Thank you. I think I may change to the Bulow or Kempinksi (I'm waiting for my daughter to show up to see about this). Unfortunately, at this point the Bulow only has a single room. The Maritim is not showing up on bookings.com at this time so they must be full.

If there is as much to do as you say, we probably will just stay 3 days in Dresden. Are you willing to meet up with us? I keep hearing that Prague is a "must see" - the only reason we were considering it. Your opinion?

I would prefer to be nearer the Westin if possible. I'll post again when I can secure another hotel.

Penny
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Hi
Have you checked out the RadissonSAS Gewandhaus in Dresden. Great location in the city center. It had a parking lot if you're driving also. We stayed there for several days and loved the location. The hotel itself is very nice and some renovations were beginning there last September.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Hi PennyAnn,

The Bülow Residenz is located only 200 m from the Westin. Definitely try to stay there if you want to be close to the Westin. The Radisson SAS which aeiger recommended is indeed an very good option (and has surprisingly low rates) but not conveniently located to the Westin.

If you want to be close to the Westin the Maritim is not a good choice - similar position like the art'otel.

My second rec. (after Bülow) would be the Kempinski Taschenbergpalais.

Yes, Prague is a "must" see, but it doesn't make sense to go there for only one night IMO. You lose too much time with check out/in. If your heart is set on a visit to Prague you could also day trip there - it's only 2.5 hours one way by train.

Yes, there is so much to do and see in Dresden and (if you like) in the surroundings that you could easily fill a week. What about a day trip to Meissen with a tour of the famous porcelain manufacture? Since money is not an issue you could do some excellent shopping

I would like to meet you, but unfortunately I am leaving on Sunday morning for a trip to Hamburg. That would leave only Saturday for meeting. Not sure yet if I'll have time on that day. We still have some days to decide and post here before you're leaving, right?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Ingo:

Sorry I have not posted since last week. I had to go out of town over the weekend. We decided to keep our reservations at art otel dresden because my son would rather have us near the Opera House than near the Westin (since he is actually at the Opera House for two shows Saturday and Sunday and it is easiest to see him between shows.

I have not had a chance to speak to him about Monday but I think he went to Prague with his dad this week. So perhaps we will stay in Dresden or go to Meissen as you suggested.

I realize you are busy but if you end up being free Saturday evening stop by the hotel for a few minutes so we can meet.

Again, I appreciate your help and advice.

Penny Braboy & Jennifer Dornoff