CanTravel to Berlin and to Hamburg from Hannover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,<BR>My wife and I will have a business trip to the CeBit show in Hannover, Germany in March and will spend couple days after the show staying in Hannover. By reading some of the message posted here, it seems a day in Hannover is enough, we are planning day trips to Berlin and to Hamburg, want help on transportation (to Berlin/Hamburg from Hannover) and attractions you can't miss in Berlin and in Hamburg. We both never be in Germany before so would like to have as much info as possible. I appreciate your help in advance.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM

myslui1 - check out the German railways site at &quot;www.bahn.de&quot;. Click on &quot;International Guests&quot; at the top or &quot;Travel Service - Time Table&quot; in the left banner and you will be connected to the English version - very intuitive from there. A &quot;day trip&quot; will hardly scratch the surface of either Berlin or Hamburg. The German Tourist office site at &quot;www.germany-tourism.de&quot; will give you lots of info and links to other sites. Have a pleasant trip!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 12:42 PM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 810 shows that you may leave Hanover main station at 31 minutes past any hour, and reach Berlin Zoo in 2 ½ hours. The last train back leaves at 2056.Table 900 shows that you may leave Hannover main station at 21 or 36 minutes past any hour and take 1 ½ hours to Hamburg Altona. The last train back leaves at 1953. All trains have restaurant cars<BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM

myslui1 - I don't know why Ben keeps suggesting people run to their local reference library to look through a several hundred page timetable when every thing you need to know is on the bahn.de website and it is much more user friendly! You don't have to copy it at the library - you just print it out for future reference. For EASY &quot;day trips&quot; from Hannover might I suggest either Hameln(pied-piper town with wonderful old wood framed houses) or Celle - both within an hours train ride from Hannover and a chance to get away from the &quot;big&quot; cities and a chance to experience the real Germany. Do enjoy!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:53 PM

<BR>Pretty tough to take in Berlin on a daytrip!!<BR><BR>CharlieB is on target with his suggestion that you enjoy the immediate area. Some other nearby towns that are reachable (and do-able) in a day by train or car : <BR><BR>Hildesheim (2 UNESCO World Heritage sites)<BR>Rinteln (Lots of Weserrennaisance buildings)<BR>Goslar (Eyepopping half-timbered town)<BR>Nordstemmen (Marienburg Castle)<BR>B&uuml;ckeburg (B&uuml;ckeburg Palace)