Paestum

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paestum

Hi

I've been working on our southern Italy trip and it looks like the best thing for us is to stop at Paestum on our way from Matera to Salerno.

I am wondering about the parking at the Archealogical site of Paestum. I can't find any good information online, but that doesn't mean there isn't some.

What I would like to know is if there is a pay lot with an attendant. We will be traveling with our belongings.

The other option is to drive in to Salerno, return our car, check our bags at the hotel, and take the local train Paestum. This seems time consuming when we could get there with the car.

I would love to hear anyone's experience visiting Paestum. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't recall a pay lot with attendant, but it's been a few years.

Try www.infopaestum.it. The home page is in Italian, but the links (most in pdf) are in multiple languages. Tourist Office email is [email protected].

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM

As I recall there is a pay lot with an attendant. Its a rather rural location - there are men directing you to park when you get there. We were there off season and the friendly guy motioned us to tell us we could go ahead and park right there on the main street next to the site rather than the pay lot. It was fine. We had all our stuff in the car (closed trunk) and didnt give it a thought, frankly.

The alternative you are talking about - I simply cant imagine it!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM

yes...there is a pay lot at Paestum (which really is spectacular, BTW!)...don't know when you are going though...there is no attendant when I've been there off season (and I've been there in winter before and we were the ONLY visitors ;-) ) It's really not in a bad area though...I'm a big scardy-cat and would NEVEr park in Naples (for example) and we don't worry about parking there at all.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, this is what I was hoping for.

Jean, thanks for the website.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM

oh - and I also would nppt dump the car first...but...if you did, there is a direct bus to Paestum from Salerno - it leaves from outside the train staion.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

CasaDC: we are going in May. I think the exact day is May 9.

We have often had a car in Italy, and have heard and read so much about leaving nothing in the car.

Anyway, I will figure this out. Everyone has been really helpful and I am getting closer and closer to a complete plan. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

I was just thinking: I really want to have the car. I would like to stop at the WWII cemetary before we dump the car.

My father was in the landing at Salerno, coming from N. Africa. I am probably the least sentimental person in the universe, but I am having feelings around seeing my ancestral home in Matera, and the landing site of the invasion of Italy.

Who knew?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM

I think there should be an attendent there in May I don't think it will be a problem at all. We've never felt un-safe leaving the car anywhere in Campania really... once you get outside the Naples area ;-)
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:41 AM
kja

BTW, tuscanlifeedit, be sure to see Paestum's museum as well as the grounds, and stop somewhere to order a plate of caprese or something else with the incredibly fresh, delicious buffalo mozzarella for which the area is famous! There are several places right at the entrance to the grounds and museum.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

kja: the ideal thing would be for us to hit Paestum in time for an ealy-ish lunch. Caprese is one of my husband's favorite dishes.

I am trying not to micro-plan this soon before the trip, but I'm weak.
I think if we leave Matera by 9, we will surely be in Paestum before noon. Lunch, the archealogical site, the museum, then on to the WWII cemetary.

We would have to turn the car in at the end of the day, but there should be enough to get to Salerno to do all that.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:31 AM

yes - from Matera it will take about 3 hours to drive...don't worry so much though!! eat when you're hungry for goodness sake (!) Paestum is NOT the only place to get Mozzarella di Buffala!!! you can get it pretty much anywhere from Matera to the coast (some production is even better out in the countryside!) Paestum is just the only place where there are huge billboards for it for the tourists! You will see it on almost every restaurant menu and grocery store and can order it on your pizza too
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:39 AM
kja

Sounds like a great plan, tuscanlifeedit. You might even be able to make it to Salerno in time to walk its beautiful lungomare as the sun sets over the Amalfi coast - spectacular! Enjoy!