Ilegal parking and Ilegal tour guides in M.A park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a big problem in M.A, every time somebody is trying to drive to the park you will be stop by this grup of guys wearing police vest who are going to make you park your car on the side of the street for $5. They will also forced you to take the guided tour with them and charge you in advance. This guys are all ilegals, the two head persons have a grup of 5 guides to do their tours, you are going to be in a tour with somebody who has not clu what he is doing and no only this, they will charge more money for the tour. This is something I have to see everyday, people not been happy with their guide and those head guys they never give any money back.

This is something every body needs to be very carefull with, the only real parking areas are located pass the Marlin Restaurant and they are run by a grup call HOGARES CREA. If you want to hire a tour guide please request for a (ICT) Instituto Costarricense de Turismo license. Today a very nice familly had a very bad experience with the grup of ilegal guides. I hope this helps to those planning to get a good tour in Manuel Antonio park. NATUREGUIDE
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Thats pretty crazy...these guys actually dress as police?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM
RAC

Why don't the actual police do something about this?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:31 AM

My husband got in an argument in the parking lot right by the entrance because he tried to overcharge us - even when we showed him our receipt form the day before he would not back down. It made me nervous finally a Costa Rican man spoke up and he finally let us in and stopped screaming at us in front of everyone at the beach!!!!

This was like an omen because this is the same day that my husband got stuck in the rip tide - luckily 2 men came to his rescue!!!! Be very careful in the water there.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

They dont dress as police mans, they have vests and every tourist stops because they think they are real. The place where this people will try to make you park is about 500 of the ehtrance of the park and they will charge $5 to park you on the side of the street.
Parking is only $2 and you can park amost at the entranec of the park, just look for the guys with the yellow shirts with the name of HOGARES CREA.
I have to see people every day no benn happy with their guided service or because something happend to their car and the ilegal people dont take responsability even when you paid $5 to park. Dont let people to make you park on the side of the street and charge you for it. NATUREGUIDE
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM

I was just there two weeks ago and saw this very thing. We hired Juan Luis Brenes for our tour and had a wonderful time! He was delightful and so interest and informative. He was recommended by someone on this forum and it was an excellent recommendation.

I reached him through your email. Juan, is that you? If so, thanks for the wonderful tour!
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello Karen.
Yes this is me. I am glad you enjoy the tour and thank you for all your positives comments. I will visit my familly this week and I will be able to send you the other pictures you want.Pura Vida.
Juan Luis Brenes.
NATUREGUIDE
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM

For me best to park away free walk a few Blocks in.Was there recently and Nature Guide is right they pose as
officials and then try to scam folks
on parking fees and then send them to
poorly trained not certified "guides"
who do not know squat.

Usually make separate arrangement with
a knowledgeable certified guide which makes all the difference.

So Caveat Emptor.