Paddington or Victoria area in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which would be a better location and okay to walk at night? I have some B&amp;B's booked near Paddington Station and some near Victoria Station. We want a &quot;quaint&quot; area - is either possible?<BR><BR>Any strong feelings as to which one is the best area for my husand and myself?<BR><BR>Thanks so much.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Both of these areas are in Central London. Victoria is probably a better choice, the station is near Buckingham Palace and a walk to other familiar places such as Westminister Abbey, River Thames, the Houses of Parliament etc. Paddington is more downmarket. However, as both these areas are very central...i don't think that this really matters, buses and underground trains run until late at night. I wouldn't really describe either area as 'quaint' but in Victoria you are slightly nearer to familiar tourist sights....and in answer to the question about safety, I am careful about where I walk at night in any major city...it's difficult to say how 'safe' it is. For example in both of these areas you will see beggars outside the train stations but I feel reasonably safe in the busy areas of London because there are so many people about.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Niether are &quot;quaint&quot;, but I'd also give a slight nod to the Victoria station area for its convenience to other sights in central London.<BR><BR>For &quot;quaint&quot; you might consider staying in Chelsea, which is south and slightly west of Victoria. Not as close to the sights either, though. Some of the Mayfair area would probably qualify as quaint, although the prices for accomodations in this upscale area may put you off. Some of the backstreets around Covent Garden are sort of quaint too, although parts of this area can get really busy in the evenings.<BR><BR>Having type &quot;quaint&quot; so many times, I almost wonder what the word really means. I associate it with more rural locales, i.e. &quot;a quaint Cotswold village&quot;, rather than London...<BR><BR>
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I've never stayed in the Victoria area but I have stayed in the Paddington area. There were 3 females in our party and at times we returned late to the hotel. We always felt safe. I would stay in Paddington again. I agree with the others though, I wouldn't consider Paddington a &quot;quaint&quot; area.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Personally, I prefer the Victoria area for its convenience to public transportation--train, bus, coach, and underground. I've never felt unsafe in London at any time, but I am careful there as in any city. However, you are far more likely to have your pocket picked than to be assaulted. And I must say that there are definitely neighborhoods to avoid. The King's Cross area comes to mind, and Notting Hill isn't quite as pleasant as it once was.<BR><BR>There are wonderful places to walk all over London, but I would suggest Soho for some after dark strolls. It isn't quaint, but it is wonderful for people-watching.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I agree with KidsToLondon about quaint. Can't think of a train station area in any city that I'd consider quaint.<BR><BR>Ebury St. near Victoria Station has lots of hotels &amp; B&amp;Bs but is less &quot;commercial&quot; looking than other hotel areas because it's also an upscale residential area (Belgravia). Why not tell us some of the places you're considering for more feedback.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 06:01 AM

PS, on another current thread entitled &quot;which London hotel should we take?&quot;, Argus82 points out that the Belgravia side of Victoria (which is where I was talking about-in fact, he's referring to the Lime tree Hotel which is where I've stayed on Ebury Street)is preferable to the Pimlico side.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I guess I won't find &quot;quaint&quot; - but have reservations at LimeTree Hotel (on Ebury St.), Windermere (n Warwick Way) in the Victoria area. <BR><BR>In the Paddington area I have reservations at Norfolk Plaza Hotel - and Best Western Phoenix Hotel - both a bit bigger than we'd like.<BR><BR>Would appreciate any input on these if possible. Thank you.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Well I've stayed at the Lime Tree and liked it. Argus82 in another post says it's his/her favorite hotel in London. I think you'll find mention of all these hotels in previous posts. Type in the names (one at a time) in the text search &amp; see what comes up. Also, you can go to tripadvisor.com &amp; check reviews of hotels.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:21 PM

What are some of the names of the hotels (B&amp;B) on Ebury Street? Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:05 AM

The last 4-5 times I have stayed in London, I have stayed at a hotel on Belgrave Road in Victoria.

We stayed at the Best Western Corona Hotel, which is actually closer to Pimlico than Victoria, although Victoria is still walkable.

We often fly into Gatwick, so it's great to be able to take the Gatwick Express, go up the escalator, out the door and be to the hotel in just a matter of minutes.