Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for London lodging...great location,great value!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Travelers!
Am I asking for the Moon?! I will be in London for a stopover and want to maximize my time there by staying in a location close to the Tate Museums, Tower of London, and other attractions. I fly into Gatwick on the morning of Sept. 6th, and fly out from Luton on the following afternoon. Does anyone know of a nice budget accommodation? I came across the Belgravia Hotel as an option...can anyone recommend it? Also, it is important that I have easy access to airport transportation.

Any other suggestions for that visit are welcomed!
Thanks...Elizabeth
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i> close to the Tate Museums, Tower of London</i>&quot;

Tate Britain, Tate Modern and the Tower of London are in differnt parts of London so no area is close to all three. And Gatwick is south of London while Luton is north - so again no area is convenient to both.

If you take the train in from LGW you will end up either at Victoria (close to Tate Britain), or by another train to London Bridge (not far from Tate Modern or the Tower)

Since your flight out isn't early in the morning you can basically stay anywhere since you have plenty of time to takle the train to Luton.

If it were me I'd take the train to Victoria or London Bridge, and then stay near whichever you choose.

But what do you mean by &quot;budget&quot;? Give us a number to work with.
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply...
For convenience, I wanted to stay somewhere within easy reach of Victoria Station. I don't want to spend more than $175 USD, which isn't a lot by London's standards. Since this stopover is only one night, I want to maximize the little time I have, and at the same time stay in a place that is comfortable. I am staying at The Elizabeth Hotel on my return stop, but wanted to try some place different, with more character, on my first stop. Know of any &quot;charming&quot; Inns, or boutique hotels, in that area?
Thanks again!
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you mean the Elizabeth Hotel on Eccleston Sq - then that is about as charming as you will find in that immediate neighborhood. It is actually a pretty good property, one of the better ones around Victoria Station.

&quot;Boutique&quot; hotels are a different animal - and usually a lot more expensive.

One place you might check is the Rubens at the Palace. They show a &quot;classic single&quot; available for sept 6 @ &pound;83. It is a super hotel just across the street from teh Royal Mews.

I'd probably just stick w/ the Elizabeth, though.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I may just stick with The Elizabeth then. Good to hear that I have chosen well!