Reload this Page >

Packing: Would sheets work?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
LibrariAnna

I've read many of the messages regarding packing with great interest and know that someone mentioned placing garbage bags or dry cleaner bags between clothes to keep them from wrinkling. Well, that brings me to my question: is it the plastic that keeps the garments from creasing or would something like a sheet work as well? I've been given a new set of sheets to take with myself to Rome in a few weeks (but not for my own use!) and was wondering if I might lay my skirts and tops between sheet layers. Would this just make it worse? Thanks in advance from this very worried packer.

Old May 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheets can be quite heavy; plastic garment bags or white tissue paper will work just as well to keep clothing from getting crushed. Be sure to roll anything with knit fabric.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would guess they'd make matters worse.

I'd pack the gift sheets flat as the first/bottom layer of the suitcase, with a normal pack of clothes on top of that (I don't use paper, tissue, plastic bags, nothing extra... just fold things real neat and stack 'em in).
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

What you're looking for is something slippery (specifically a low coefficient of friction between cloth and plastic), so no, bed sheets won't work.

And I'm assuming that the person who has asked you to take sheets to Italy has considered possibility that the beds are not identical in size, right? Because sheets are heavy, and I'd hate to have carried them all that way for nothing.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Darling, what are you thinking? Do yourself a favor and just have your clothes pressed by room service when you get to your hotel. If that is too much of an expense, bring a travel iron.

You are on holiday. You should not be worrying about wrinkles, you should be worrying about how to get to the sale at Prada on the Via Condotti.

Have a large pink gin, please, sweetie darling and you will feel better.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Linens can be quite heavy, I would ship them ahead.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM

I use dry cleaners plastic, zip locks and the storage bags my dry cleaner uses for sweaters ( they even have little snaps)
The clothes slip and slide with the plastic, the whole point is that the fabric is not against another fabric where it will just sit and wrinkle..
So if you want to do it right, use plastic.
If you want to take excellent advice, listen to Polly
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:06 AM
LibrariAnna

You folks are wonderful! I will definitely lay the sheets out on the bottom of the suitcase and most likely use plastic for layers (if anything!). As for actually toting the sheets to Rome, I really have no choice. I'm not actually going on vacation but to a 6-week meeting of my congregation. (I'm going as a "worker bee!&quot They have a large guest house, and by asking members who have been tapped to attend the meeting to bring new sheets...the guesthouse is always well stocked!So, mille grazie, and I am so looking forward to my first visit to Rome. Of course, first I have to live through the agony of packing! Mille grazie!

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I also use the dry cleaning bags
now I'm off for a gin and prada