Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pssst! I'll tell you my best travel tips/secrets if you tell me yours!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we all have our little travels things we do to make our trips easier. And we probably think the things we do are not all that unique. But chances are...you do something that others haven't thought of yet.

So, I thought maybe we could all share our helpful tips and secrets for easy and hopefully stress free travel.

Please post your tips and feel free to come back and add more!

I used to pack a suit case inside a suit case so that I would have a spare one for the trip home...especially handy for the purchases made along the way. Well with weight restrictions, this is no longer a good idea. So here are my tips:

#1 - I always pack a lightweight nylon duffle bag inside my suitcase. This serves 2 purposes -- it gives me a extra room on the trip home for either purchases or even for dirty laundry AND if my suit case weighs too much, I can shift things out of case and into duffle on the flight to destination.

#2 I use TSA approved locks on my suitcase that I check. These give me a bit of peace of mind as to the security of my things.

#3 I pack my clothes in ziplock bags....sorry, I just don't want TSA touching my lingerie etc.

#4 I take a chamois/swimmer's towel with me. These are fake chamois called THE ABSORBER that are sold in auto section of WalMart or in car parts stores. They come in nice colors and are about 2' x 3' in size. I cut them in halfand use one after shower to dry off {no need to worry about how fluufy and absorbent the hotel towels are } and the other is my beach towel. Simply rinse them out when done, squeeze out excess water and let them dry. If you have to pack before they are dry...just pop them in a ziplock bag. They cost around $8 each and they are great.

http://www.autobarn.net/miniabsorber.html

So, let's get those tips rolling in!

Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I always travel with an extra duffle type bag stuffed in the outside pocket of my suitcase. I usually pack it with dirty clothes and guidebooks, etc. that I don't need for the next part of the trip. That leaves room in my suitcase for souvenirs, etc.

I use either a bucket bag or a backpack as one of my carryons. I stuff my purse, reading material, and things I need on the plane. I also have my laptop in there so I can get through security quickly.

If going to a tropical location, I use my snorkel bag as a carryon. I have my swim suit in there, a thin beach towel from Kmart, short and Tshirt and a change of underwear and toothbrush. If my luggage doesn't make it in a timely fashion, I can still start on my vacation the minute we get there.

I pack high thread count pillowcases. I have a couple in my carryon to use with the airline pillow and to stuff a winter jacket in it for pillows on the plane. I use them in hotel rooms to ensure a good sleep. I take brightly colored (usually Ralph Lauren floral) so maids don't take the case by mistake.

I tuck in a travel candle in a metal tin. SteinMart usually has some but I find them everywhere. I like citrus or linen scents. Really helps in musty rooms. If I forget it, I buy a small votive candle when I get there.

I check a big bag. I do not try to get everything in a carryon. I make sure that whatever I have will fit on the top of the suitcase and I can wheel it all myself. I do use porters, bellmen, etc. but like that to be an option - not an necessity.

I am not pennywise and pound foolish. I will spend the money on a taxi or a tour or whatever I want/need to make the vacation go more smoothly. I work too hard for the time off to waste vacation time to save a few $$$. I don't blow the budget, but I don't lose sight of the goal - to have everyone enjoy the vacation.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM

When I check into a hotel, I always look the desk clerk in the eyes and smile.

I never complain about a room until I see it.

However, if a room does not meet my expectations, I tell the bell boy to get it changed, or, if there is no bell boy, I call the desk and explain how the room fails to please moi.

Sparkling, I am yours very truly,

L.M. Sunshine
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Talking about laundry tricks..Parrot Pop and I take two large mesh bags...one we put our drty whites and the second our dirty colored clothes...We then transfer any and all clean clothes to one suitcase and in the suitcase with the dirties we add among the mesh bags any fragile items or bottles of liquor. When we arrive home that particular suitcase is left downstairs by the washing machine.. On our last trip we did add a smaller suitcase inside a larger one and used that one for all sorts of items we bought on our extended trip. One of our oldest tips is the hanging shoe bag which has gotten around the internet these past ten or so years.. If toothpaste and any other toiletries are used up I put a post it on the cosmetic bag so that the next time I'll know to refill.. Its old hat now, but we take bottles of water and refill and use Crystal Lite to make iced tea and lemonade... I know.. they now have indivdual packages..but we have been doing this for five years or so. Another tip for Europe has come in handy.. when you get to almost the end of a roll of toilet paper crush it.. put it in a baggie and when your in Europe...it will come in handy..lol
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM

When car traveling, I bring a Rival Hot Pot for those penny pinching high end hotels that refuse to put a coffee maker in the room.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM

ParrotMom, I'd never heard of the hanging shoe bag. What a good idea! I also like the almost empty roll of TP tossed in the suitcase. Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I like the idea of the candle in the tin...for both scent and ambience but be careful...
...I have seen [recently] in many hotels a "severe" warning not to use an type of candle in a room and I think that would be even more of an offense in a "non-smoking" room where there is often a $200 + penalty for smoking in a room [smoke is smoke??]

I am sure you are careful with the candle...just a friendly reminder to be careful with the hotel rules on candles.
Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I travel weekly on business and have never seen such a card restricting candle use.

I was happy to see that two hotels on my SW trip had recently converted to fully non-smoking and the guest had to initial on the check in form that you acknowledge the $450 cleaning fee if you smoked in the room or its environs. A BIG laminated card was in the room as well. I was VERY happy about that policy. Travelers who think that smoking on the patio "doesn't count" just can't smell the odor that lingers inside the room.

I always book non-smoking rooms and keep my candle tin (opened) on the bedside table and no one has ever commented. If a "no candle" restriction were to be in place, I would think it would be for safety/liability purposes and not compared to smoking cigars or cigarettes in the room.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

We tend to stay at smaller hotels...and that is where I've seen the do not use candles rule, but I also think I just saw it at either the Westin or JW Marriott in Tucson.

I think it more for safety than the smoke.

Maybe I'll have to take a tinned candle I just happened to have 1 handy ] with us tomorrow up to Grand Junction and see what happens [-o<

Debi
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Nothing clever from me, but I always take Cetaphil cleanser in my carry-on--it can be used without water (but doesn't dry out my hands the way Purell does), and it works as a facial cleanser.

Also, I take coat hangers from home. That way, I can graciously cede my husband all the hotel's hangers (which often won't hang on the bathroom door for steaming wrinkles out of clothes anyway).

I take a dollar-store personal fan on planes--before takeoff, it can get hot as fury.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM

I know I'm asking for it, but how dense am I? A shoebag? And use it for what? The over the door hanging style with pockets for about a dozen shoes? I use one of those on the back of door at the family entrance to my house to hold mittens and scarfs in the winter time, but never thought of a travel use for it.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM

A few years ago I "invested"in some really great luggage. Since we travel often I knew it was a good idea. Well it was a great idea! I bought 2 suitcases, one expands, so if I need extra room it's there. The other one is a wardrober. I pack everything hangers (I have the clothes dry cleaned and just hang them in the plastic) There are 3 "hooks" in the suitcase then it folds. It is actually smaller than a regular suitcase. I fit so much into this case it is amazing. When I put it on the scale the most it has weighed is 55 lbs. It also makes packing and unpacking very easy. Also whe I pack to go home, I know what wnet in which suitcase, so now my bags are never over weight.

I always bring my travel cashmere blanket. It comes in a cashmere zipper bag, which I have my Ipod, face cream lip balm and some bars. The blanket is warm, cozy and light and has come in handy on long flights and when leaving the airport when it's cold. The pouch is small and "squishes" so it takes up no room in my carry on.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM

I like to take candles too. I use the little tea light candles, so I don't have to haul the remains back. That 1 gram can get heavy.

For our next trip, I copied only of the map we're going to need and got it blown up and in color. Now, even I can see it without searching for my glasses. I also have been printing, by hand, the directions from mappy.com on the back.

The mesh bag idea is a good one, it can be thrown in a washer and dryer that way and you don't have to worry about losing anything. If you're a light packer losing one sock is a bummer.

My husband brings a bottle of green tea extract with him whenever we travel in case he doesn't like the taste of the water.

I carry a little imersion heater and my favorite herbal teas. Also some coffee bags in case we are desperate.
I also use Lightdays while on airplanes.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM

We take a wine opener everywhere we go...
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:01 AM

I take my little flashlight. The one I have right now is as small as a credit card and when you push on the "button" it lights up. Handy for when you get up in the night in a not familiar room to go the bathroom
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:07 AM
GoTravel

Duct tape!

I use it for alterations, repairs, lint brush, etc.

Also, I carryon only.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM

If going someplace that requires we dress up when we get there.....cruise, wedding, I take any of my sweeties shirts that he will be wearing for the occassion to the cleaners before and ask that they box them instead of hang them. Depending on how much we are bringing and the room in the suitcase I either take them out of the box or pack the box also. Shirts come out nice and fresh.

I also have a soft sided cooler with a shoulder strap that I use as my purse like carry on when heading to a beach destination. When I get there, I switch my purse stuff into a bag I have tucked in there and use the cooler for the beach. Also works great for bringing home fragile purchases.

Instead of a large beach towel to lay on the sand I pack an queen size top sheet to spread out on. Much lighter....takes up less room and the sand comes off easy. Most places I stay have small towels you can take to the beach to use to dry off with but nothing large enough to lay on.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:21 AM

"I also use Lightdays while on airplanes"

WHAT?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM

I always carry a pareau when I travel. It turns into a skirt if I need to cover my knees, a shawl if I need to cover my shoulders and/or head, can be a bathing suit, a sunsuit, a dress, a beach towel, a head wrap, a tote bag, a jacket (of sorts)...it actually has all sorts of uses, and as a plus, it's very light to carry.

I also always bring a compass.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I go on product websites and request samples rather than purchasing travel size containers of toothpaste, body lotion, shampoo and conditioners. WalMart also has a running supply of free samples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -