Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One real handy thing you pack in your suitcase

Aug 30th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Linda

Just wondering what everyone else makes sure is in their suitcase...other than the usual stuff, of course.I've read how some of you depend on having a corkscrew or your Swiss Army knife. I always throw in an 8 foot extension cord; it's come in handy so many times ie: you want to blow-dry your hair; the plug is on one wall and the mirror is way over on another. And another thing I've been known to take is some extra hangers because there are never enough. This one I save more for the Caribbean though where I'm in one spot for a week or two.

Aug 30th, 2002, 06:19 PM
b

Scotch tape. Works in a pinch as a lint remover and for minor clothing repairs (i.e., fallen hem - tape back up from the inside)...

Aug 30th, 2002, 07:02 PM
try

Try to find room for a change of clothes in there amidst the hair dryers and extention cords. I find they come in handy the second day.

Aug 30th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Jocko

Hey Linda, How about a little bottle of gin.

Aug 30th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Cruiser

Linda--I know you only wanted one item, but I never leave home without ziplock bags, flashlight, a small alarm clock, and my satin pillowcase to name a few.

Aug 30th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Cathy

Ziploc bags. What did we ever do without them?

Aug 30th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Betsy

Earplugs! Never leave home without 'em. Have saved the day (or night) zillions of times.

Aug 30th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Marilyn

Trying to mention something different here...depending on where I'm going:

booklight for reading in bed at night

flat rubber sink stopper for hand laundry

sharpie pen for marking film cans

Big yes to ziplock bags, travel alarm, small knife with built-in flashlight

Aug 30th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Once A Day

Gel suppositories, my whole system and bio rythms get out of sync on a trip so I use the supp. at night and by the morning, well you know what.

Aug 31st, 2002, 06:14 AM
Cruiser

Hey Marilyn,
I have always wondered why people take the time to mark their film canasters. What do you mark on them? Paris, Rome, NotreDame, Leaning Tower..... Can't you tell when you get them developed what they are?

Aug 31st, 2002, 06:27 AM
Carmina

May I reply with more than one?

1. Big safety pin -- for pinning the drapes together to shut out the light.

2. Handi Wipes - to use as washcloths. They dry by morning!

3. Corkscrew

4. Eyeglass repair kit, complete with screws and screwdriver

Aug 31st, 2002, 07:12 AM
Cruiser

Hey Carmina: Instead of the safety pin, try a clothes pin. Much easier for closing drapes. Clothes pins can also be used to leave messages to maids if necessary--roommates if coming and going at different times, etc.
You can buy very cheap (therefore very thin) wash clothes at KMart type stores for 10 for a couple bucks. They too dry over night or you can just pitch them at that price. Put a wet wash cloth in a ziplock bag and put in your purse for a refreshing clean-up during the day while out doing the sites. No perfumed odors as some clean-ups are.
Traveling is such an education. Learning new things everyday....even in the packing aspect.
Enjoy!!

Aug 31st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Marilyn

Cruiser: I mark my film for several different reasons. Sometimes I need to "push" a roll (this means to shoot the roll as if it were a faster ASA than it really is and develop it that way so that you can lighten a roll that was shot in not quite enough light). Sometimes I want to see the difference between film stocks, so if the can is marked, I can then number the lab paperwork to correspond with it and with my notes.

And most importantly, to keep my film separate from my husband's, so we don't have to argue over who's used more than their share. Traveling with a photographer can get complicated...

I like the clothespin idea. Think I'll throw a couple in on my next trip.

Aug 31st, 2002, 02:22 PM
COresBoy

Underwear.
Oh and cigarettes & a Zippo.
Don't need much else as long as I have the above.

Aug 31st, 2002, 04:37 PM
Jim

I take a laundry bag so I have a more-or-less dignified way to trasport clothes between a hotel and coin laundry.

Aug 31st, 2002, 05:37 PM
Fran

I take those small skirt hangers that you get from the dry cleaners because I find that there are never enough skirt hangers even when they give you enough regular ones.I pack the skirts right on the hangers so I can just unpack them and hang them up. Since I don't pay for these I don't feel that it is extravagent to leave them behind when we go home.

Aug 31st, 2002, 06:40 PM
Cruiser

Thanks Marilyn for your film explanation. Makes sense to me!!

Aug 31st, 2002, 07:14 PM
HMH

"DUCK" (duct) tape is always helpful--especially if your suitcase comes apart in Vienna. I usually can find small rolls in discount/$1 stores and it has come in handy for many things. I also always have a knife, which fits into a cover/sheath (packed in my luggage, now) which is great for the occasional lunch from a deli, etc. Got mine at a kitchen store. Not just zip-locs but plain baggies in several sizes, can fit in anywhere, and have many uses.

Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:51 PM
Shar

Here's a second for DUCT tape. I ahve used it several times. There are many uses. We forgot to bring it once and needed it. We were in a small town and couldn't find anyone who spoke English so we had to try and explain with our hands and actions that we wanted DUCT tape. I think we finally "quaked" and the person understood! Ah the fun of traveling. I love it! Shar

Sep 4th, 2002, 12:38 AM
meira

a roll of toilet paper

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO