Packing light for a teen girl

Sep 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Packing light for a teen girl

Our trip is quickly approaching to Italy. We will be there for three weeks and I pretty much know what I am packing, as does my husband, but my 15 year old....well, thats another question. We are only taking carryons, they are pretty good sized backpacks that we purchased through Rick Steves. Wearing khaki or beige is not her thing. She loves black and pretty much lives in her jeans and combat boots. She is packing a long black skirt for visiting the churches and she found a nice shawl to wear as well, other than that I am not sure what she needs to pack. I am just concerned that her jeans will not dry quickly when we wash them and she will be stuck wearing semi-wet jeans as we tour Italy. (yuck) any suggestions on "cool" but practical clothes for a teen girl to pack?
Thanks so much!
Gypsygurl
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Has she looked for any light weight jeans or knit jeans? The jeggings are pretty popular for girls and I think they would dry faster. Nothing wrong with her combat boots for jeans and pants, she's 15 after all. But I think she might like a pair of flats to wear with the skirt.

Black legging type pants sound like they would be good for her too. They would pack up to almost nothing and should wash out in the bathrooms sink and dry overnight.

I wish I were 15 and could wear leggings myself! I also wish someone would have taken me to Italy when I was 15.

CindyP.
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM

An afterthought....the cargo pants that are very fashionable are often made out of nylon blends, they should dry quickly too.
CindyP.
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM

YOu dont say if you will be renting flats or staying in hotels.

The flats usually have those combowasher/dryer machines that take ALL DAY to dry jeans! Even then, hainging the on a chair overnight, they were dry by next morning.

But...if you are using the laundromats, the BEST washer dryer we found anywhere, in the world, was in Italy! It even put detergent in (no need to carry our own). ANd the dryer got though an entire big load, including several pairs of jeans, in LESS than 20 minutes, in the large size dryer.

I dont know if this high efficiency wash/dry laundromat is the norm in Italy,but i'd say as long as you make time to get to a laundromat (find a nearby cafe while the wash goes) your dtr will be fine. Mine lives in jeans too, and she never had to wear damp jeans.
Sep 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM

why jeans?

perhaps one or two pairs, but with those, some black trousers and a black skirt [though no reason not to visit churches in jeans or trousers for women - it's knees and shoulders they don't like], she should be fine.

if you are there for 3 weeks, she may want to buy some the cheap and fashionable clothes she sees there; silly point, she's 15 and a girl. of course she will. She may even decide that capris and shorts are acceptable, when she sees others wearing them.

I would limit the no of tourers she packs, and concentrate on tops she can layer - when we went to Florence one late october, we ate outside every evening, and only needed light jumpers. OTOH, it may rain and be miserable, but in 3 weeks you are likely to get virtually every sort of weather you can think of.

have a great trip!
Sep 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM

"and only needed light jumpers."

Translation if needed: jumper = pullover sweater

Does she ever wear capris/crop pants? If so, I'd recommend she substitute a pair of capris for one pair of jeans.

1 pr jeans
1 pr capris
1 long black skirt
maybe 1 other
Sep 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM

My daughter (almost 13) pretty much only wears jeans, but agreed that black pants made sense for last year's trip to Europe in October. We bought a cheap pair from Target, and she didn't wear them after that, but she did wear them on the trip, and they weren't too uncool. (Come to think of it, we'll be in Spain in mid-October - I'll have to ask her what pants she's planning to take.)

If the weather's good, then shorts or capris are fine. My daughter also took a casual skirt that she wore. She also brought boots (the kind that come to the knee); as she wore size 3 at the time, they didn't take up too much room. I think she also took flats and sneakers, so she could trade off from the more-fashionable but less-comfortable boots.

We're not big shoppers, but she did want a scarf in Italy. In Venice, we stopped at a small store on a side canal, and took our time picking out the perfect scarf. The shopkeeper made a big deal of it (as they do), and tied the scarf for my daughter, and showed her different styles, then packaged the scarf up very nicely indeed. She doesn't wear it much here at home, but I'm sure she'll be taking it to Spain!
Sep 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM

<>

Good for her!

She's 15- she should be wearing jeans if that's her prefered look. It is what most teenagers everywhere- including Italy- wear. If she can bring two pair of jeans then she can be wearing one pair while the other pair dries. I always wear jeans when traveling and I've never had a drying issue. Perhaps my jeans are lighter weight than what some of you wear.

I don't understand the need for a long black skirt unless it is something she enjoys wearing. It is not needed for church visits.

Have fun!
Sep 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM

I definitely agree with those who say let her take her normal clothing - they will be fine. Just don't take too much of it. And wear the combat boots on the plane because they will probably take up too much room in the suitcase.

I take jeans to Europe. We usually do laundry in a laundromat so we use dryers there, or we send laundry out - that's when I wash my jeans. If we have an apartment with a washer only, I wash them, double spin, and then hang them out where they get good airflow. I've never had a problem with damp jeans.

I'd have her take a couple pairs of jeans, some capris and/or shorts, a skirt only if she actually likes wearing a skirt. I might not be picturing things right, but I can't see a jeans and combat boots girl being happy in a long skirt and shawl.
Sep 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM

My only concern is that she may get sick of combat boots in the hot weather. I had a pair of knee-high boots and a pair of black leather, comfortable walking sandals, and I wore the sandals every day in Italy except for the day in Venice when it was freezing and pouring with rain! It was just too warm for the boots most of the time! She could wear some stylish tunic-tops over her jeans, and a pair of black sandals or flats, and that would be quite stylish. Add a pair of cute sunglasses and a floaty, feminine scarf and she would look chic, stylish, and very European.
Sep 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Just to clear up the long black skirt thing, she loooooves this skirt. It is long, soft and she wears it with her combat boots, (of course!), a black cami and a black lace long sleeved sweater thingy. Oh, and her ever present black knit beret. She reminds me of a gothic Audrey Hepburn, very classy with a bit of an edge.
I ran the cargo pant idea by her and she is all for that, as long as they are black or grey (of course!)
I will have her pack an extra pair of shoes just in case she needs to switch out the boots. I ran the idea by her about a pull over sweater and she settled on a boyfriend type cardi that will go with everything. It even has a hood in case we get a few misty days. She also found a back belt that has rivets/studs that goes with everything as well, including the black skirt!! Now when we get to Italy, probably when in Milan, I will pick up a couple of scarves.
Now, what about on the plane, she hates sweats, so any suggestions on some comfy clothes for the 12 hour flight that are P.J like clothes but can also be worn on the street?
Thanks,
Gypsygurl
Sep 14th, 2011, 12:52 AM

She should just wear her most comfortable clothes choices on the plane, and not the boots!
Sep 14th, 2011, 04:56 AM

She doesn't need to bring extra PJ like clothes just to wear on the plane; she can decide which of her clothes she's rather wear for that time period.

Sound like she has her wardrobe figured out, and definitely she should bring a second set of shoes.

Enjoy your trip!
Sep 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Definitely the second (or third) pair of shoes - her feet will be happier, even if the weather is cool enough for the boots, you guys will probably walk a lot more than she generally does at home. I couldn't imagine wearing the same pair of shoes everyday for 2 weeks (stinky).

For the plane - have her wear something comfortable. Plane seats are cramped, so there isn't going to be much curling up, just sort of learning to one side or the other and trying to sleep. For our last trip, on the way there I wore a pair of yoga pants, tennis shoes, a tee, and a fleece. On the way home I wore cargo-capris, a tee, and my tennies.
Sep 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Good for her for not wanting to wear sweats on the plane - she should wear the long skirt. If it is soft and comfy it would be perfect - she can tuck her feet under if she gets cold. Just came back from France - wore jeans on the way over because I thought it would be cold when we landed and my long travel skirt, tank top, shirt on top for the way back when I knew I'd be hot landing in Atlanta.

And jeans are great for her to travel with as she doesn't need to wash them unless you plan on doing some very muddy hiking.
Sep 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM

I'll admit I do tend to wear pretty comfortable clothes for any overnight flight as you are going to be sleeping in them. I also don't wear clothes I don't want to get that messed up, they may get wrinkled, etc. I would not want to sleep in my skirts, for example, as when I wear them I like to fell, well, "nice" and not as if I'm wearing some rag I slept in.

But others may feel differently. I tend to wear one pair of pants that I take that have a fairly loose drawstring waist and are not real tight. These are a lightweight cotton twill.

If she plans on taking no such item, you might consider some leggings with an oversize T. That is sort of PJ-like but what a lot of young people might wear in other situations. IN any case, when I travel in colder weather, I usually take a pair of leggings and big T just for wearing when I'm lounging around my hotel room, I always need something for that purpose.

I can't even imagine ever wanting to wear nothing but combat boots, boots are not really that comfortable.
Sep 14th, 2011, 10:30 AM

Boots? She might weer them onto the plane; they'll take up way too much space in the backpack if she tries to pack them. Take them off for the flight and just wear socks/slippers/sneakers for the flight.
Sep 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

You guys/gals are the best!! We are counting down the days now, only 14 more to go, woohoo!! My daughter decided to wear her boots on the plane and she found a really comfy pair of walking shoes by Avia to take with her. I liked them so much I even bought a pair. Of course, hers are black. She likes the idea of wearing her skirt on the plane. So, now we are going to pack up the backpacks with all our stuff in it and walk around town for awhile to see if we can handle all the junk we are carrying!
Thanks again for all the tips,
Gypsygurl
Sep 21st, 2011, 06:18 AM

She needs to make sure her boots will fit in her luggage when not being worn. It might be walking on cobblestones in then is uncomfortable or they rub blisters walking so much.

You can always buy a bag in Italy to check on the way home if you shop too much.