Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Women travelers- clothes theme when packing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you travel do you try to keep to a color theme to avoid taking everything you own?
Will be gone for 2 weeks and am thinking multiple black pants with a variety of tops to keep it simple -

Any tips you use?
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM

What do you mean multiple black pants? How many pairs of pants are you taking.

The only clothes I take are clothes that I love to wear and I'm sure look pretty good on me.

All of my pants are in neutrals so they usaully go with my tops. I pack a pair of jeans, pants and wear a pair and they go with everything. For summer I'd pack a light sweater, a couple of tees, a nicer top that can be worn out in the evening.

I plan on doing a little light laundry when I travel so I don't take much and everything can dry over night.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:44 AM

For pants, I tend to take black, khaki, and denim--with shirts in colors that go with all three.
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:37 AM

We usually try to go carry on only, because DH hates to hang around waiting for the bags to get off the plane. So I travel in my bulky clothes, jeans, sneakers, sweater, jacket. I hate the idea of sitting on an airplane with my bare skin touching the seat, so jeans are perfect. If I think I'll need to dress up a little, then black, knit, poly, no-wrinkle, pants. Then another jean, a couple of capris, in denim, tan, and/or black and of tops that go with everything.

I also have a black cashmere cardigan sweater that can be a warm layer or a semi dressy top if needed.
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM

sunbum, I think I know what you mean, and yes, I try to pack so everything goes with everything, as much as that's possible. I try to resist bringing that cute outfit that is a stand-alone, and needs its own shoes to boot! 2 weeks is a long trip, though, at least for me, so I think I'd pick two color themes rather than just one, unless space is truly tight.
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM

I just can not pick a color theme, as hard as I try. But I do take jeans or black slacks as neutrals. Then I try to have one cover up that will go with two or three tanks or other tops, honestly by the time I pack two or three cover ups, each with the two or three tanks I have just packed too much. We do try to do some laundry if it is a two week trip though.
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Look at photos of Hillary Clinton - not as fashion icon but as a woman who travels all the time. 95% of the time she is wearing black pants, black shoes and some combination of shirt, jacket, etc. She always looks acceptable for the situation.

I travel with a few pairs of black pants, a black skirt, black city shorts when appropriate. And a packable dress or 2. Then I can mix/match tops, jackets, sweaters - and they all go together and are easy to layer. Reduces the shoe problem.

When I return I am so sick of black pants, etc I could scream. But packing is a breeze, luggage reduced.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks -my plan, like Gail is to have several pairs of black pants, and a skirt and wear them to death

we will be in Alaska, first on our own for a few days, then a land tour and then a cruise - I have black pants that are great for hiking but are nice enough that I could wear to a casual dinner with a nice top - just trying not to take too much with me to schlep around and I am usually not very good at that. I usually take my biggest suitcase and keep putting in clothes until its full.

Am really trying to keep it lighter this time. Shoes are a pain- my walking shoes seem to take up 1/2 the suitcase ( big feet)
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM

I don't go with a color theme, just make sure everything I pack goes with at least 2 other items so that I can mix and match.

For shoes, it depends on the weather and what we are doing, of course, but I generally bring 3 pairs.

I generally pack for 1 week and then do laundry as needed.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM

I do and it starts with shoes. I have the pair on my feet and one extra pair. Next is my overcoat/cardigan or raincoat (depending on the season). It has to match my shoes. Then I start filling in with pieces that layer.

Last trip I had a pair of brown shoes and a pair of green shoes. I had a heathered brown cashmere cardigan. All of my clothes were brown/taupe/cream/green or rust. Everything matched everything else. I even made sure my pajama t-shirts are fit for layering duty.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM

I usually base off of black or navy. Next week we're going to Seattle for two weeks and I'll take 2 pairs of casual black pants, one pair of jeans (I usually don't take them because they're heavy but we're going to stay at our daughter's for a few days so can use her washer and dryer); will have about 4 casual tops (black, white, gold), a denim shirt to go with the jeans, a Travelsmith "big shirt" (either black or red--haven't decided) and a fleece top (because it's still cold there). For evening, I'll take a black cashmere sweater and a purple silk "big shirt." I'll wear my black Propet walking shoes and pack a pair of dressy sandals for evening.

We are one-bag packers, even for two-week cruises. I use packing bags from Ebags and can easily get all of this into a rolling duffle.
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Some good packers, here! Yes, I do color coordinate, although black is just not for me. My colors are more in line with palmettoprincess, with the brown/taupe shades. My favorite "bright" colors are orange and rust, and so what I bring will coordinate with shades of those.

Our fall vacation is usually 2+ weeks and focuses on woodsy/outdoorsy settings, so I do bring a couple of jeans and a pair of khaki or brown pants for dressing up a bit. I pick things that can be layered or worn separately, and finally learned to stop packing "standalone" items.

For shoes, I wear my bulkiest shoes, a midrise pair of hikers. I'll bring a pair of lowrise hikers also, to switch off, and a pair of boat shoes for dressing up a bit. Some vacations need a dressier outfit, of course.

As others mentioned, I pack for a week plan to do laundry. Among my weaknesses - packing too many hiking socks and overpacking tops (for layering, and then the weather doesn't call for it). It's always fun to purchase something on the road -- yes, I wear those logo sweatshirts and t-shirts, but a scarf or special piece always reminds me of the trip when I wear it later.

At one time I didn't pay attention to what I wore, thinking nobody would recognize me anyway. But those pictures! DH makes a set of DVDs from each vacation, slideshow with music, etc. So however I look is immortalized, in a way. But no way will I sacrifice comfort or be forced to haul around a ton of luggage.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM

sludick - So true about the photos!!! We don't generally take many photos during regular life - pretty much just vacations, holidays, and events. What we wore on vacation is preserved for all eternity.
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM

A good idea if one has it or can find it to buy is a cashmere twin sweater set. If it is cold wearing both is good otherwise just wearing the pullover can be a great look and just the cardigan can be used with other clothes.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 03:57 AM

i use to take only those clothes which i like most,i try to take less pents but more tops with me....
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 06:51 AM
JBX

Absolutely start w/ color theme ..... be it ubiquitous black pants (my choice) or brown or navy. Even when I take a pair of jeans, they're black denim. Color spectrum for tops can then be more flexible, because most everything goes with black .... generally I find myself bringing tops in reds & grays and have accessories & jewelry that will work within limited color palette.

Really, should think of packing for 4 or 5 days. ALL (or most) clothes should be washable. Yeah, may get a bit tiresome wearing same outfits, but well worth it to carry a lighter load.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:07 PM

i use to take only those clothes which i like most,i try to take less pents but more tops with me....