Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pack-Mate plastic travel bags...anyone use these? or are ziplocks just as good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone used the Pack-Mate plastic travel bags? There seems to be some question as to whether they prevent wrinkles or cause more. Are common Ziplock bags just as good?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Not sure what you are referring to - something to pack some small incidentals in (toiletries, hair products, etc)? If so, I always use Ziplock bags which are both sturdy and leak-proof. I haven't heard of the Pack-Mate plastic travel bags before.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I use freezer weight zip lock bags. I don't like the kind with the little movable box that zips the zipper, they come off too easily.

It is easier to use a plastic travel bag that lets the air out but after a few times opening and closing them they aren't air tight any more so you might as well pack less expensive ziplocks.

I do keep one new plastic travel bag in the bottom of the suitcase for the trip home.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:00 PM

are you referring to the type of bags where you use your vacuum to suck the air out and compress your items? I have never tried them. I buy the plastic baggies withthe plastic zipper from my supermarket and squeeze the air out. Works fine for me.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
amelia

You can do a search under Spacesaver bags, too.

I use these for items that will not be impacted by wrinkling--Polartec items, underwear, socks--and always pack large ones in a pocket for dirty laundry. It hermetically seals the dirty clothes.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM

I've got the Pack-Mate bags - they work pretty well. I have the kind you don't need a vacuum cleaner for. You seal it up then roll the air out of the bag.

I've found that the longer things are packed, the more wrinkled they get. And, of course, it depends on the material.

One warning: It will make your suitcase heavier - because you can pack more in them. I usually don't use them on the way to my destination, but pack them in my suitcase to use on the trip home when I have more I need to fit in my suitcase.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM

I have those bags and I really like them a lot. I have the kind that you just roll to squeeze out the air. I've tried Ziplocks to try to achieve the same kind of compression and it's just not as good - eventually the air comes in again and fills the bag. For me, the one drawback is that the clothes I put into the compression bag does tend to wrinkle more - but I generally put just a waterproof jacket or things in there - very casual stuff - that once I've taken it out and hung it for a few hours, the wrinkles fall out of.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:15 PM

I use a similar brand -- but NOT to pack more into my bag on the way over. I take 1 or 2 empty ones and use then on the way home for dirty clothes and/or sweaters or other bulky items. That way I free up a lot of space for any new treasures I buy during my trip. If you fill them at the beginning of your trip you won't have any extra space later when you need it.

And if you do use then your suitcase will be heavier and you may have to check it.

Don't use them for things like woven shirts, silks, linens - they wrinkle more and don't have much volume that you'd save. Use them for things like sweaters, fleeces, down vests/jackets, or a pillow if you must use a special one.

ZipLock bags do not work nearly as well if you want to use the vacuum feature. You can't get as much air out and even then, the zipper just doesn't hold the seal all that well.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use ziplocks to organize small stuff but simply fold clothes. My thought is that any extra "system" of bags is just extra stuff in my suitcase that I can't wear! Deal with wrinkles by carefully choosing the types of fabrics you wear/pack.