Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Oyster Card - purchase online before leaving home?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted this on another thread but thought it probably won't attract attention if it's not on its own clearly-titled thread.

Tried buying an Oyster Card online before I leave for UK in 2 montha time. All the signs were encouraging. The product I selected was called a "Visitor" Oyster Card. The dropdown menu for my address to send it to listed all countries, not just UK options. And there was a promotional blurb about how good it would be to arrive in London with my Oyster Card already received and ready to use.

But when I was about to click "confirm purchase" a message appeared on screen saying "Important note before proceeding: Oyster card is available only to UK residents at UK addresses".

What's that all about? It seems a massive contradiction to everything that went before it.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I cant help with the website but there is no reason to buy in advance. Just walk up to any ticket counter and buy one.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:54 AM

I am not referring specifically to the OP in this thread so please forgive me but...

I never understand, unless there is money to be saved, why people have this fixation of getting local transportation passes in advance. I have read some complain about not having to wait on queues; rarely are the queues more than 2 or 3 minutes long (and there are usually no queues at the machines although you have to know pretty much what you want)....if you're paying the same amount it's just one more thing to forget, or lose in the mail or whatever.

Same thing goes for tickets in advance to some attractions.

Oyster cards for PAYG or for 7 day travelcards are just one thing that are most assuredly not necessary to be bought in advance.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Before our last trip I wanted to top up our Oyster cards but I couldn't figure out how to get the rates I wanted on the web site. (7 days in zone 1-2 and return to LHR)
We ended up doing this at the window at LHR. Had to wait a couple minutes in the queue but otherwise pretty quick and efficient and got exactly what we wanted.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Weird message from website. the visitor Oystercard does let you pre-buy one from travel agents abroad before you arrive, but frankly, don't bother. It'll probably take more time and be more hassle than just getting one here! If the 'blurb' made it sound like you'll have hassle getting your card on the spot it is fibbing (oops, sorry, marketing).
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks for that everyone. I was under the impression that prebuying before you left home might get you a better "visitors" rate. But if that's not the case, I'll leave it till I get there.
T.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM

<<< I was under the impression that prebuying before you left home might get you a better "visitors" rate >>>

No - you pay a non-refundable £2 as opposed to a refundable £3

In any case an Oystercard may not be the best option if there are at least 2 adults in the group and you intend doing touristy things as a PAPER Travelcard allows you to use the offers on www.2for1entry.co.uk
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:41 PM

twoflower, which website did you use for the Oyster Card?
When I was planning the trip, I first used www.tfl.gov.uk From that site, I found www.visitbritaindirect.com where I purchased the 7 days Travelcard. The cards came in the mail in about a week. I thought this card was for advanced purchase overseas.

This is the paper card that gives you unlimited rides on the underground and buses and more. The price was well worth it! We took many short rides, long rides, and even took couple long bus rides sitting on the top deck - beats taking tour buses!!
AND, yes the 2 for 1 discount advantages!