Seniors Railcard UK

Search

Seniors Railcard UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seniors Railcard UK

Could someone please advise if my husband and I, both in our 60s but from Australia can purchase a Seniors Railcard in England or purchase Seniors Tickets when purchasing tickets on-line.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
ron

Yes, you can do both. You will, of course, have to have gotten the Railcard before you take your first journey - the train conductor will want to see both the ticket and the railcard.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:44 PM

You don't need the card to buy the tickets on line and get the discount, or to collect those tickets from a machine.

It's a nuisance buying the card from abroad anyway, and on longer journeys there are substantial additional savings from booking ahead (the senior and advance booking discounts are cumulative), so in your case it's wisest NOT wait till you've got the card before booking.

You must have the card to get on the train, and to buy tickets over the counter. So just make sure you've gone to any railway (not tube) station before getting the train and bought the card.

Wisest not to do this during evening or morning rush hours: it's a slightly time-consuming transaction. Not only do you risk not being able to buy the card in time - but far more importantly, you're delaying other people. As the person behind you will very forcibly remind you.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM

When you book your tickets, you just tick the box that says you have a senior card.
As others have said, you need to have your senior card with you on the train.
If you are going to London, you can also load your senior rail card onto your Oyster.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your help. Will definitely purchase one outside of rush hour.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Tried to purchase a senior rail card on line, since I live in the US my zip code configuration was not recognized by the web site and I could not finish my application. Is there anyway I can get around this so I can buy my card before I go to England.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM

<i>Is there anyway I can get around this so I can buy my card before I go to England.</i>

Don't bother doing so.

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/buy...-your-railcard
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM

May I ask-We'll be in Linlithgow Oct. 6-13, and will take 3 roundtrips via train. Was told that the senior pass, which is good for a year, might not be cost effective for us since our stay will be short. I believe it costs 28 pounds for each of us,but haven't yet found how much it saves per ticket. Any info. is appreciated on this topic.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM

Discount on Senior Railcard is 1/3 off most fares. Any exceptions will be indicated when booking online, or by ticket staff over the counter in a station.
http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/are...s-travel-times
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM

Whether you save much with a Senior Railcard will depend mostly on your routes. The only way to know for sure is to go to the NationalRail website www.nationalrail.co.uk and check ticket prices for your intended routes. I'd doubt that you'd save much with only three trips especially if they're fairly local. The savings of 1/3 can sound like a bargin but on many point to point tickets it might not cover the initial cost of 28 GBPs
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:50 AM

Many thanks for the info. We'll be roundtripping from Glasgow to Linlithgow and back for our flights. Then Linlithgow to Edinburgh and back, and to Stirling and back. I think those are pretty short trips, so I'll bet the senior pass wouldn't help us. Thanks again!
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:09 AM

1965, if your trip is mainly central Scotland, take a look at the Central Scotland Rover, http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/fa...tickets#rovers

though pricing out the tickets individually will still let you know if it saves you money and/or if you need to travel before the restriction of 9:15am

On buying the pass, I do know that all I've seen online indicates it is a lot cheaper to just buy at a staffed station, ex, when you get to Glasgow. At today's prices it'd be $55 vs $65 - $80 plus shipping that I've seen on different sites
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM

We bought the passes and were lucky enough to go to the UK twice in one year so it really saved us money.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM

To put to rest any idea that you'll save money with a Senior Railcard, a return fare from Glasgow to Linlithgow will be about 9 GBPs, return fare from Stirling runs about 7 GBPs, and for Linlithgow-Edinburgh, a return is 9 GBPs. The card will cost more than the tickets.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM

If you are traveling a lot on the train and wish to go first class then strongly conside the BritRail Senior Pass that if taking several trains can be a great bargain - again if going first class which my decades of incessant travel on British trains makes me exhort folks like you to definitely go first class - a world of difference over Standard (2nd) class - often sardine city IME - first class always has lots of empty seats to spread out in - put your luggage on an adjoining empty seat - 2nd class is often chock full - seats much much smaller (if big or mobility challenged 2nd class seats can be a real struggle!)

and in first class on long train trips you even get complimentary snacks and beverages the whole way IME

This is one area you do not want to scimp on if on the trip of a lifetime - first class will be really relaxed - 2nd class IME can often be nightmarish.

Great sites for oodles of great info on British trains - www.nationalrail.co.uk - compare fully flexible first class fares here with the pass as the pass lets you hop on virtually any train anytime - just show up - no need to book some often non-refundable non-changeable ticket weeks in advance as the discounted online tickets that many here often say is the best way to go (I highly dispute that - pay extra for first class and have a really great ride IMO - and other sites - www.seat61.com (check this site's commercial link to RailEurope Australia to book your BritRail Pass and give this wonderful site some commission to boot!) and www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - sites with more than the usual things for sales but loads of great practical info.

Senior Rail Card is good but if traveling several long trips the BritRail Pass may be a better deal even. And if you have kids under 16 traveling with you they all get a free Family Pass to match what adults buy and if you have others traveling with you under the Party Pass the 3rd thru 9th passengers on the same pass pay only 50% of what the first two pay and Nov thru Feb all passes are discounted 20% - so those are other factors affecting the efficacy of a pass.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:25 AM

HistoryTraveler-You've answered my questions, and saved me a LOT of research. We're excited and looking forward to our week in Linlithgow. Thank you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:28 AM

You're welcome and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. It's Scotland! How could you not.