Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Oxford afterall--Janis or any Oxford Fans

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Janis. It's Helene once again. Well, after all of yesterday's discussions, the plans have changed. We're omitting Stonehenge and visiting Oxford...definitely! Here's an itinerary I've drafted. Please comment.

Wednesday--Drive directly from York to Broadway...Do you know how long that will take?

Wednesday--Explore Broadway and Chipping Camden

Thursday--Oxford

How much time should we devote to Oxford?
Is there a particular car park you recommend?
Do you recommend a walking tour? (I would really like to do this on our own, if possible.)
Is there a specific tour of the BMW factory or a computer site I can research? (Hubby owns one)
What not to miss in Oxford?

Friday--Bourton, Stow and on to Heathrow to drop off rental car, tube to Victoria, Ceremonyof the Keys at 9:30

We leased from Autoeurope. Is there a specific location within the Heathrow aiport grounds to drop off the car?

Thanks again and again! Helene

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:46 AM

TTT for you and obviously I am not Janis

My only comments: you "leased" from AutoEurope??? Usually the supplier of the auto is listed on the voucher and it will often be one of the so-called "majors" such as Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc., and that is where you would pick up/return your car.

From experience I can tell you it won't take too long to explore Broadway itself as the village is fairly small (I know...relative term) and certainly walkable.

If you'd like to check mileages between York and Broadway one way to do so is to go to
www.theaa.com and use the route finder feature.

Have a great trip.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

You're right...it's Hertz. Sorry! H
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi,

Don't know if you saw my last 2 posts on yout other thread about how you could manage the inside access Stonehenge tour and see more of the Cotswolds . . .

Now - about your new questions. The only BMW plant I'm aware of in Oxford manyfactures Mini Coopers. (I may be wrong - it has been a long time since I lived in the area and haven't kept up w/ that sort of thing. flanner will probably know in an instant - hop he sees your thread). Mini's are wonderful cars - but you husband mught be a tad disappointed if he is expecting to see a Z4 or something.

What I think of your new plan partly depends on whether you meant BMW or Mini Cooper (and if someone can tell us if there is in fact a BMW plant)

But I highly recommend an organized walking tour in Oxford (and I am not a "tour person" ) The tours are offered by the Tourist Office and are great. They only take 90 mins to 2 hours and give you a really good overview of teh city and (usually but not always) entry to a couple of colleges.

Then you have a lot of free time to see other parts of Oxford. You can visit Christ Church (one college that is open to visitors all the time (they charge an entrance fee) and see its chapel.

If you are coming in from Broadway you'd use the peartree park and ride.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:19 AM

manufactures - sheesh . . . .

sorry for all the typos.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:46 AM

The BMW plant makes only Mini Coopers, and is forever struggling to find space to extend itself yet again to keep up with demand. There is a factory tour, but you must prebook. Details at www.bmwgroup-plant-oxford.com.

Im not sure what computer site you'd be looking for. Our version of Silicon Valley is really 20 miles or so further south: biotech is Oxford's big thing. The Museum of the History of Science (Broad St) is good on some scientific breakthroughs, and the instrumentation involved - but it's stronger on what happened before 1800 than all this new-fangled stuff. Power is what Oxford's about: it leaves most of that tinkering with transistors to the parvenus in the Fens.

Personally I can't see the the point of a human guide. There's a good poster map at http://tinyurl.com/2zke4u, and walking tour brochures at the City Council site that comes from.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM

Oh - by "computer site" I thought you meant a website to research how to book a BMW plant visit.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Duh! I did mean a website! H
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Janis....I meant the Duh! referring to me. Three and 1/2 hours from York to Broadway....reasonable? Helene
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM

Possible but maybe not reasonable, depending on traffic, road works, etc. It's approx 200 miles - some on congested motorways and some on slower country roads. I'd count on about 4-4.5 hours and then be happy if we made it faster.