Which tour from London? Help Please!!!!

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tour from London? Help Please!!!!

I want to make a one day trip from London, want to visit Bath and have a quick view of the Cotswold, would like to see Stonehenge but not a priority, will be visiting Windsor for 2 hours in another tour but donīt mind seeing it twice and my options are:
1. Bath, Stonehenge, Lacock
2. Bath, Lacock, Castle Combe
3. Windsor, Runnymede, Bath, Stonehenge
4. Windsor, Runnymede, Bath, Castle Combe
5. Bath, Stonehenge, Windsor
6. Bath, Stonehenge, Salisbury
Which one, please?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Hi Simone: Quite honestly I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to fit any of those itineraries in a single day and still enjoy yourself, although I can't blame you for wanting to be able to do it that way! Maybe you can pare down the itineraries?

From my experience, I took a day tour to Stonehenge and Bath (sorry, I don't remember the name of the tour company) and enjoyed it. I would have liked more time in Bath, but there are only so many hours in a day.

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Are these actually options from organized tours or the places you want to see on a possble tour?

Bath and Stonhenge in one day is doable and likewise Stonehenge and Salisbury can be done in a day. However, trying to incorporate all three is cultural overload even if it might be logistically possible.

If you are looking at organized tours and they include Stonehenge, it may well be that all you'll see is the view from the A303.

I agree that you're probably trying to do too much in fitting three of the mentioned venues into one trip.

Also the Cotswolds are not particularly close to any of the places you've mentioned.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Unless a person had a strong desire to see Stonehenge I would skip it. One parks in a lot across the highway, pays a fee, walks through a tunnel under the highway and stands behind a fence to gaze upon it. For some it may be a goal unto itself; for myself it was why did I bother and what is near here that's actually interesting. Now, if I could have actually walked up to and touched the rocks I might have a different attitude, but you can't (except for rare, maybe once a year, events).

Bath was very much worth seeing.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Either,
Bath, Lacock and Castle Combe. This will give you the chance to see a couple of villages on the southern edge of the Cotswold region. In fact Lacock almost borders on the Mendips but it's all limestone so you'll get your fill of honey coloured stone cottages.
Bath, Lacock and Stonehenge. I don't know any reputable tour company that includes Stonehenge as meerly a drive past from the main road. Expect about 45 minutes to an hour there, which is just about the right amount of time to walk around the circle and visit the gift shop.
The other tours either miss out the Cotswolds or seem to pack too much in to one day (or both).
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

I must say they are all from organized tours. And Iīd rather have a superficial view from a lot than a deep view from a few (sorry!) maybe because probably I wonīt have another opportunity to see all these places.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Floyd, if you apply for tickets ahead of time, you can go in and touch the stones at a special dusk tour. We did last time we went. Some companies will even do the paperwork for you, such as Astral Tours.

We went and took a private day tour with Vic's Taxi (www.vicstaxi.com) and had a great time. We took the train out to Salisbury. He picked us up and took us to West Kennet Longbarrow, Avebury Stone Circle, Old Sarum, Salisbury Cathedral, and then the dusk tour of Stonehenge. While we were there, a Wiccan group was performing a full moon ceremony. It was great!

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Now that I have a better idea of how YOU actually want to arrange your trip, I'd choose Bath, Lacock, Castle Combe unless you are particularily interestd in medieval Cathedrals and then Salisbury is a must see.

Actually all these sites are worthy of a visit;it's just that darn time thing!

Have a great tour.Hopefully you'll have a chane to return.