Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

overnight stop between heathrow and edinburgh

Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Please help: We are trying to decide whether or not to drive or fly between the 2 cities. What would be a good halfway point to stop- we will start driving around 4 pm on a saturday and would like to go at least 3- 4 hours that night. any thoughts on this journey?
Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:37 AM

I certainly would not drive it. It is an 8 to 10 hour drive depending on traffic/stops. And are you flying in transatlantic? If so you will be very tired and probably very jet lagged.

You can easily and cheaply fly directly from LHR to Edinburgh and be there early in the evening. Lots of time to wander around the city and see the castle and other sites illuminated.

The drive to Edinburgh is not horrid if you take 2 or 3 days to see some of the great places along the way - like York on the east side, or Oxford or the Lake District on the west side. But just to drive it - I wouldn't.

Plus you won't want or need a car in Edinburgh. So fly directly from LHR, stay in Edinburgh car-less - then if you are touring other parts of Scotland, pick up a rental car on your way out of the city.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Oh - I meant to include a bit more . . .

I am a bit confused - your title says between LHR and Edinburgh, but your posts says "between the two cities".

I assumed you meant you were landing at LHR and driving from there, but will you have already been in London?

Also, you say you will start driving about 4 p.m. Is that factoring in 2 or 3 hours on the ground at LHR - get luggage, clear immigration, eating, bus to rental car agency, completing paperwork, etc. ? If so, if you fly you will already be in Edinburgh before you even have your rental car, and will be in Edinburgh in the mid afternoon. What time are you landing?

And I know you asked about a stop off enroute - my 8-10 hours is for the full drive and you could stop at any motorway service area. They mostly have motels right on site. But driving is not the best way to do this . . . .
Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I should clarify , we are flying in from a 9 day stay in eastern europe. We are on our way to spend 4 days in edinburgh for the festival. WE have been to Edinburgh before and have seen most of the sites so we were thinking of a drive through england on the way.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM

If you can really only allow an evening with a 3 to 4 hour drive and then the next day a morning followed by lunch and completing the drive to Edinburgh, then I would stick with the recommendation of the Lake District (via the west coast) or York (via east). Oxford is just an hour from Heathrow but you'll be faced with a great big chunk of travel time the next day.
Sadly the journey will not be a pleasant meander through 'merrie England' but more a dull motorway journey with just the morning of the following day to actually do anything. If you make the decision to drive then you could have a late evening arrival in York or maybe Grasmere (for the Lakes) and with very little open and the fact that it will be getting dark and you've been driving for hours on end you may find the visit consists of a quick, although totally inadequate, look around during the early part of the next day, then it's back on the motorway to your final destination.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM

Liverpool.

At 1600 on a Saturday it's a painless 3.25 hour journey from LHR and it's about the same 3.25 hour ride on to Eboro the following day.

More publicly available great art than any other city in Britain apart from London (infinitely more than Edinburgh) More conservation-grade listed buildings (beating Cambridge or Canterbury). A UNESCO-endorsed World Heritage Site (more than Oxford or Bath can boast)

And the best pubs in the world.

And all that's apart from the Beatle stuff, the world's greatest horse race (eat your heart out, Louisville), the best football anywhere and the endorsement of none other than Carl Jung ("Liverpool is the pool of life")

Can't imagine why anyone would bother with anywhere else.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:50 AM

Janis is absolutely right: there is no point in driving unless you want to take several days & stop off at various scenic places en route (& most people wouldn't class Liverpool as either scenic or en route). Most of the way up either side of the country is not scenic and the drive is just a chore.

Won't you want to make the most of your 4 days in Edinburgh ? 4 days isn't very long during the festivals. (I already have 6 performances booked & generally manage about 50, working full time as well !)

Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:01 AM

Completely agree with Janis. Flying is a much better option.

There really isn't much to see on the M1/A1 between London and Edinburgh, unless you really go out of your way to see it. To see a bit of scenery you would have to come off of the motorway completely and plan an alternative route, but it would take a loooong time and be very tiring.

If you don't want to fly (which would be my preference)as an alternative what about the train? Maybe stop off in York on the way if you can get a ticket that allows you to this?

Edinburgh during the festival is loads of fun and there is loads to see just wandering around so give yourself as much time as possible.

Enjoy