Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Edinburgh to Liverpool... things to see places to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are going to Edinburgh for a few days and then will drive down to Liverpool for a conference my daughter has to attend. It seems to be about a 4 to 5 hour drive and we could either drive straight through or find a place to spend the night somewhere along the way. Any suggestions of things to see or places to stay for a night?
Old May 19th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Any suggestions of things to see or places to stay for a night?<<

Tons - the natural place would be somewhere in the Lake District. Keswick - 3 to 3.5 hours. Windermere would be about 4 hours. Then you'd be about 2 hours from Liverpool - less if there is no traffic.

But you could easily stop along Hadrian's Wall. Haltwhistle would be about 3 hours, Hexham about 2.5. From say Haltwhistle it's about 3 hours to Liverpool.

(the straight drive would likely take 5+ hours especially if starting from central Edinburgh)
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:26 AM

I must have done that drive a 100 times as I have a sister and her family living in Liverpool for around 30 years.So much on the way down and actually I would suggest exactly what Janisj suggests, though I do love Ambleside in the lake District
Old May 21st, 2018, 12:06 PM

"especially if starting from central Edinburgh"

Depending which part of central Edinburgh, it could take half that long to get out of the city. There's TON(NE)S of construction in Edinburgh. Probably all the time because the city is so bloody old. And yeah, it's congested and twisty and difficult to navigate generally.

I'd think Hadrian's Wall is cool just so you could go on about how much the Romans wanted to keep the Scots out of England . . .