Overnight in Fussen?

Old Apr 10th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight in Fussen?

I'm traveling to Europe for Christmas, and I will have a couple of days in Munich on my own before meeting up with a friend to travel through Austria. I'd like to take the opportunity to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles in the winter. My question is whether or not to stay overnight in Fussen. Most of the advice I see online talks about purchasing the Bayern train ticket, traveling to Fussen on the train closest to 9am, and getting to Neuschwanstein sometime after noon. It seems to me that this would likely put me in a big crowd of people all trying to get to Neuschwanstein on the same schedule.

I'm considering going directly to Fussen once I arrive in the country and staying overnight there so that I can take the earliest (10am) tour of Neuschwanstein the next morning. I'd have plenty of time to see both castles and explore the area and then travel back to have some time in Munich that evening. I know that would mean I'd have to buy separate transportation tickets instead of the Bayern ticket, but lodging in Fussen is cheaper than in Munich, so cost-wise it looks like it would about even out.

For those familiar with the area, are there any disadvantages to overnighting in Fussen in order to get to Neuschwanstein ahead of the crowds?
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 09:26 AM

Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung | Neuschwanstein Castle | Tourist info | Admission

seems to say you can book time slots and tickets if done so a few days in advance and have a guaranteed time to visit. Fussen is a nice town I have stayed in but not exceptional in winter - in summer nice park along river, etc.

Pre-book time for afternoon and stay in Munich. I think of weekends also the Bavarian Day Ticket can be used anytime before 9 am - not sure but check. For lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en - www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Buses take youthe few miles from Fussen's train station to the castles, or it's a nice walk in nice weather.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 09:57 AM

We stayed in Fussen two nights (loved it there), had some excellent food, enjoyed a great bike ride, spending one quarter of our time in three countries last fall in a quick but wonderful trip. Here is our trip report: 3 Countries, 8 Places, 8 Nights, Awesome!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:56 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I certainly don't see a disadvantage to staying overnight in Fussen. I was last at Neuschwanstein in December of 2017 and it was a complete and utter zoo, so much so that I doubt I'll ever go back.

That 'guaranteed time to visit' means you have a timed ticket, as do a gazillion of your closest friends.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I enjoyed spending a couple of nights in Fussen. It would be very nice if you could see Oberamagau and the Weisskirche while near there.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Might as well see Linderhof, the hunting lodge, while you're there.

I'd highly recommend getting your booking for the castles in advance.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 06:29 PM

For those who have stayed in Füssen - can you recommend a specific hotel? We are heading there next month and I can’t seem to decide where to stay. TIA!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 06:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I had a great room at the Luitpoldpark-Hotel. It even had a wooden sauna in the bathroom!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:32 PM

Hi memejs,

I love Füssen! It's a lovely town with a real castle right in town, the Hohes Schloss

https://en.fuessen.de/romantic-soul/...n-fuessen.html

Even though the town is smaller than Garmisch, its little pedestrian zone is larger, with streets leading off in all directions. There is a river running by the edge of town, a huge lake just outside of town, and a waterfall about 15 minutes' walk. I think you would love to spend at least one night there!

For capecod73,

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for a hotel there...I live just 30 km away.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed in the City Apart Hotel, in the pedestrian zone, fantastic. We didn’t do any castle tours, but loved the town and some hiking.