Overnight from Paris???

Search

Overnight from Paris???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight from Paris???

Hello All!! Small problem with a 14 day trip to Europe. We will be traveling with our two children (10 and 13) and mother. Trip is scheduled for mid April arrival in Paris. My husband and I have been to Paris, but not with kids or mother who have never been. Itinerary is 3 nights in Paris, followed by free night, 3 nights Brugges, 3 nights Amsterdam, 3 nights Strasbourg, then 1 night Frankfurt where we leave for home. The free day after Paris is a bit of a mistake, and now I cannot confirm that I can stay in the same flat for the extra night. Question is - since we are all packing and checking out, where do we stay for the night? If I could stay in the same flat in Paris, there would be no question but to stay in Paris. But with that is not possible and us having to pack up...options are overnight somewhere or other area in Paris?? Have thought of Normandy, Giverny, London, Luxembourg, Brussels? I am trying to pretend we are taking a Paris day trip or heading to our destination in Brugges. Nothing I can do but try to make the best and see where it takes us! Any suggestions would be great.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 09:40 PM

I would head in the general direction if Bruges, Normandy doesn't really make sense for example. Brussels would make sense and break up your travel day and the square is lovely there. One night would allow you to see that.

Or you could head straight to Bruges.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

I thought that also and there is availability in Brugges for the extra night, which saves on the packing and unpacking. Original plan was to get off the train in Brussels, check the luggage at the train station and spend the day in the square before heading to Brugges. I guess my biggest concern is that it will be my mom's first trip and not sure if she will do another. Just wondering if I am shortchanging mom by not seeing something like Versailles or Normandy, or even more Paris??? First and last trip guilt for her. We are well located on all hotels/flats so access to sights, food and shopping are all out of our door. Too much time in Belgium??
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 12:17 AM

I would not go anywhere other than ion your direction of travel for 1 night...adds a tonne if hassle for little reward.

Your mom will enjoy herself anywhere you take her I bet...and she won't know what she missed by not going to Normandy so I wouldn't worry. Unless going there is on her bucket list...but if it was then you would likely be going anyways, right? So don't worry and add complications out if guilt. Fit something into your schedule easily so it's enjoyable and not a hassle.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:03 AM

I once took my mother to Brugges, and we spent almost a whole week there; she loved the city. She was in her 70s at the time. She loved just sitting at the window in the hotel watching the life in the square below, or wandering around the streets, and exploring shops. You could take day trips from Bruges if you think four nights are too many. Almost any other city in Belgium is within a fairly easy day trip from Bruges. With my mother, we took a day trip to the Netherlands and even a day trip to Paris.

In general, I don't think it's worth visiting a city for one night only. You have two back-to-back travel days, with all the attendant hassle of changing hotels, packing, and unpacking.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Depending where your apt rental is, you could just stay in Paris an extra day, booking one night in a hotel within walking distance of your flat. Any decent 2-3* hotel, is what I do. I sometimes have that problem either that I must leave one day before I want, or cannot have an apt until one day after I want, just scheduling. I just stay in a nearby hotel. To be honest, it is actually somewhat convenient to have the packing and settling of deposit, keys, etc. out of the way before the day you actually leave. At least for me it is, as I often want to leave very early in the morning. And then it can be much easier to get a hotel to call a taxi for you if you want one.

If that appeals to you, give the address of the flat and I might be able to suggest a couple nearby hotels.

Otherwise, I'd add it onto the next place you are going.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM

uh, I just noticed how many people you have with you -- 3 adults and two children who are not small. That will cost you for a hotel, that's for sure, you'll need a double and triple. But any hotel where you go is going to have that problem.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 02:27 PM

Too much time in Belgium--yep. Find a hotel down the street in Paris and stay 2 nights.