Search

Outer Hebrides

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Hebrides

We are hoping to go to the New Hebrides in September 2016. I thought we would fly into Glasgow and make our way by car to Ullapool. From Ullapool to Hebrides. How long would we need in Hebrdes or would a day trip be sufficient. If we took a cottage around Ullapool would 5-7 days be too long?

Thanks

Lucy
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM

What exactly do you mean by "New Hebrides"? Google search leads me to Wikipedia that says it's the name for an island group in the South Pacific, named for the Hebrides Scottish Archipelago.

Since you are talking about Glasgow and Ullapool you are probably talking about the original Scottish Hebrides, not the New Hebrides. And that's multiple small islands.

So, what island in the Scottish Hebrides do you want to see?

I think you need to look at a map and the ferry timetable to see where and when you can go. For example the ferry from Ullapool only goes to Stornoway on Harris. Then you can jump around to other islands, of course.

Go to the Calmac website
https://www.calmac.co.uk/
Click on the interactive map link and chose "show all routes" to see the ferry lines.

I have no idea if there is anything to see in Ullapool itself. I think I spent maybe ten minutes there while going from the ferry to the bus in 2008.
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Ooops. That's Stornoway on Lewis, actually. Sigh.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 12:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are doing on the the Hebrides, diving, bird watching, whale watching, hiking etc etc?
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 01:03 AM

I don't think they would be rewarding for a series of day trips, to say nothing of the cost.

The usual route is down (or up) the chain linked by Calmac ferries as described above.

Flights from KEF to GLA go right down the Western Isles at a fairly low altitude, and they look well worth a visit.

I haven't had the good fortune to visit, but my SIL spent all his summers at University working on archaeological digs, and his photos are beautiful.

If you go, be aware that much -- perhaps everything -- is closed on Sundays in parts of the Isles.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 04:18 AM

The Outer Hebrides is more usually known as the Western Isles nowadays. If taking a car, go through Uig on the Isle of Skye, the ferries are cheaper. From there you can go to Harris (joined to Lewis by a mountain range) or North Uist (joined to Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay by causeways.
Not worth it for a day trip.Shops etc are open on Sundays.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Ullapool wouldn't be a good base for the Islands, you would need to spend (expensive) hours on a ferry everyday.

I recently spent some time in the area, but didn't drive:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-hebrides.cfm

You might want to have a look at what the Rabbies tour covered even if you plan to drive yourself--it will give you an idea of what there is to see:
https://www.rabbies.com/tours_scotla...tour.asp?lngen
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 07:11 AM

The drive from Glasgow to Ullapool is wonderful. From Ullapool to Stronoway by Calmac ferry, then explore Lewis and Harris and return to Isle of Skye via Uigh. That is about the most you could do in 7 days. Ullapool is not the best place for day trips to the Hebrides although It's an area that has possibilities for exploring just not convenient for day trips.

You could do a day trip to Lewis/ Harris from Uigh on Skye or visit Iona / Mull as a day trip ( Calmac again ) from Oban.
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 11:43 AM
ESW

A day trip isn't enough time to see the Outer Hebrides. To do them justice you need to spend several nights there. We've regularly spent a couple of weeks on Lewis and have loved it.

I'm not quite clear what you are asking in your post. Are you intending to spend 5-7 days in and around Ullapool and just make a day trip to the Outer Hebrides? Whether this is too long depends on what your intrests are and how you are wanting to spend your time. Scenically it is a lovely area and you could easily spend several days exploring. But if you are wanting entertainment, then this isn't the area for you. Follow the links on the map here to get some idea what you can do around Ullapool.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...thwestern.html

Why did you decide on Ullapool as the jumping off place rather than Uig? There isn't much difference in mileage from Glasgow. The ferry crossing from Uig is shorter and less likely to be cancelled because of bad weather.

I think you need to sit down and decide what you want to do and how long this is likely to need. Have a look at the map of the Western Isles here for some ideas of what to do and see.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...ternisles.html
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 01:46 PM

I did a trip to the Western Isles a couple of years ago. I drove from home near Glasgow to Oban then the ferry to Barra, about 5 hours, then worked my way up to the Butt of Lewis over 6 days, staying in bed and breakast. Travelled back by ferry from Tarbert in Harris to Uig on Skye, about 1 hour 40 minutes. Spent two niģhts on Skye then ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and then drove home.
Stunning scenery and I was lucky with the weather. The southern islands are traditionally Catholic so no Sunday closing problem which can still be an issue on Lewis and Harris, but not as strict as it used to be.
I booked all of the b&b places by e-mail and had no problems. My brother-in-law has just done a similar trip but hired a motor home in Glasgow instead of b&b.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 06:32 AM

Having all that information above,I would get the ferry to Ullapool and take your 5-7 days to meander down through Lewis and Harris, take the little ferry to Berneray then go down through Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist to Eriskay. If you rush you might manage Barra too. Use pubs/wee hotels rather than self catering.

It's beautiful. You will love it