Round-trip on Vancouver-Victoria Ferry

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Cynthia

Round-trip on Vancouver-Victoria Ferry

Does anyone know if you can just stay on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria and back, or must you disembark on the island? Last vacation to BC we spent a week on the island. Since we've done that, we want to spend this vacation on the mainland. However, we loved the ferry ride to the island and want to take it again without getting off. If this is possible, will we have to pay another fee for the return trip even if we don't get off?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:40 AM
gary

If you come on with a car obviously you have to get off but it's a good question about a foot passenger staying on after the ship docks. I don't imagine that they do a sweep of the ship to make sure everyones off so while I guess there is probably a charge for a round trip I doubt if it's strictly enforced.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Robyn

I don't know... they ferry is full of staff. Unless you plan to hide, they'll probably ask to you leave the ferry. I don't think you can pay round trip, but you might want to check out their website - http://www.bcferries.bc.ca

Have you thought about taking the ferry to one of the Gulf Islands instead? Spend a few hours on Galiano or Saltspring (or one of the many other islands). It'll give the trip a little bonus.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
cindy

I think Robyn gave you a great idea. The most interesting part of that ferry trip is where you go through Active Pass, among the Gulf Islands. If you've got a car, you could travel to Saltspring or Galiano, for example, and then get back on the ferry and have a look at Mayne or Pender (both are quite small and scenic) and then make your way back to the mainland.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Cynthia

Thanks for the advice everyone. We'll consider the other islands. By the way, I wasn't implying that we'd want to cheat the ferry company by hiding or anything like that! I was just curious as to how it would work if we don't get off.