Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Osteria de Duca (Romeo's House) in Verona? Any other can't miss restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I did a search for Osteria de Duca and came up empty-handed. Several guidebooks rave about this place, but I'd like your input.

Here are a few others the guidebooks like:
Alla Colonna Largo
Bottega del Vina
Ristorante la Greppia
Al Carroarmato
La Taverna di Via Stella
Al Duomo

Any first-hand reports?

I've read good things here about 12 Apostoli so we'll probably try it out, but our main interest is local food at a good value.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Topping because like a do-do I forgot to select the topic.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Trying again.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Whenever I visit Verona I include La Greppia in my dining list. It's in a little courtyard off the main street near Juliet's house. I recall a delicious lumarche in umido con polenta (snails--a stew of them).

At Taverna di Via Stella we had nicely prepared food but we remember with delight their dessert, crema di marcapone boscaiolo (a generous bowl of marscarpone and cream topped with a huge pile of mixed berries).

A really good value, a real local place that you would hardly notice as you pass by but is just east of the Piazza del Erbe--Al Solito Posto. We almost missed it since the door was so inconspicious. A plain, neighborhood dining room. We opted for antipasti and pizza our first evening. The pizzaiolo came out of the kitchen to give us each the correct olive oil for our particular pizza. By the end of the evening, the gregarious owner was sitting at our table telling jokes. (We had to explain to him that it was unusual for Americans to find three preparations of horse meat on a menu--often true in Verona.) On our second visit, we had primi and secondi--simple, good food. At the end of the meal, the owner again sat with us to total the bill, and gave us a 15% discount on an already inexpensive meal--I guess we'd become regulars. I can check my notes for an address if you like.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

ellenem,

Perfect! Al Solito Posto is exactly the kind of place we're looking for. The address would be helpful, especially if it's inconspicuous. We'll be in Verona for 8 nights so it will be fun to discover these hidden treasures. I'll be sure to take copious notes and report back.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:02 AM

Ellenem, I too would like the address for Al Solito Posto, it sounds great. Any other recomendations for Verona would be great, food or things to see, do or buy. Thanks
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I had lunch at La Greppia in June. I thought they had a website so I will check through my travel "stuff" and see if I can find it. We sat at a table next to the guy that plays Grissom on CSI and his wife/girl friend?. My daughter thought that was pretty cool.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hey, found it myself!
http://www.ristorantegreppia.com/
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I found my info but it looks like you already found the website. Their e-mail is [email protected]
I can't remember much about the food but I think I ordered a dish with 3 different pastas/ravioli 8 euro(spinach,pumpkin and ?) and my daughter maybe a salmon pasta for 6 Euro. There was a 3 Euro per person coperto charge on my receipt(yikes!!!).
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Found my notes--keep in mind that this visit to Verona was in June 2001.

Al Solito Posto
Via S. Maria in Chiavica, 5
tel. 045 8031374

Walk from Piazza delle Erbe to Piazza Signori--they are pratically connected. Continue across Piazza Signori in the same direction. At the corner (via Arche?) the street becomes Via S. Maria in Chiavica. The trattoria was on the left soon after the corner.

This is a very simple nondescript place, good inexpensive food. A real neighborhood place: we were there on a Sunday night and locals returning from a weekend away kept stopping by for a drink or dinner. I found my receipts and our "discount was not as high as I recalled, about 7%. (I was thinking in lire.) The receipt doesn't show it, but I remember they were closed on Monday.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Ellenem, thanks again.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM

osteria del duca is one of the best place to eat something in verona. try it!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

ellidiano, tell me more...