Traveling Alone

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling Alone

Good Afternoon,

I am going to be taking a class in Bergamo in July. I found a really great airfare price 3 night before the class starts. This means I would need to stay alone in a hotel for 3 nights. I am 22 years old and have never traveled alone. I am looking into cities I can fly into and stay for three nights. The ciites are Verona, Pis, and Turin. Which of the three would you say is a good place for a person traveling alone.

Thanks!
Kimberley
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I think that Verona is one of the greatest places in Italy. It is very manageable, hospitable, and if you get a chance to go to the opera, do not miss it!

I have never been to Pisa or Turin, but I would return to Verona in a second.

Traveling alone for the first time is hard, but I am sure wherever you go you will be fine. And normally you find other travelers and are not alone for long.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM

First of all, there's absolutely nothing difficult about traveling alone in Italy.

Of the three places you mention, Verona is probably the closest and it's definitely the most agreeable and with the most to see.

The Hotel Bologna (near the Piazza Bra and the Arena) in Verona is a fairly agreeable hotel; it doesn't drip charm, but it is comfortable. It also has a good restaurant.

For a very good meal, go to La Greppia, it's on a small street near the Piazza delle Erbe, the second big piazza in Verona. And just behind Piazza delle Erbe is the Piazza dei Signori, which has the lovely Cafe Dante.

It's about two hours by train from Verona to Bergamo, with one change in Brescia.

www.trenitalia.com
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I think I am going towards Verona because of the Opera. I have always wanted to see an Opera and the Arena di Verona looks very charming.

I am excited and scared about traveling alone. I think credit goes towards my friends and family saying I am crazy and it is to danderous for a woman my age to travel alone.

I think Verona would be a great place to start my advertures.

Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Something to consider, Pisa is a University town and you'll find lots of young people (once you get away from the Campo di Miracoli). Wherever you choose, enjoy yourself!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Kimberley, Friends and family tend to have highly exaggerated ideas about how dangerous it is for a 22-year-old woman to travel alone. I was 19 when I started doing it, and I'm here, many years later, to tell the tale.

You'll have a great time!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Here's another vote for Verona, not because the others are unsafe but because 3 nights in Verona is just perfect. It will give you time to see so much of what the city has to offer, because everything you want to see is right within walking distance.

As a person traveling alone, you'll really enjoy the bookstores, the truly wonderful museum, the "scene" at Piazza Bra and seeing the Roman amphitheater.

But you must find out if the opera is going on in Verona in July. Not only should you buy tickets and go -- it's in the ancient amphitheater -- but you will need to reserve a room as soon as you can.

Bed-and-breakfasts in small Italian cities are most often family run and perfectly safe. www.tripadvisor.com is a good resource for hotels and sometimes b&bs.

Enjoy your stay!

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM

All three towns Kimberley mentioned are university towns.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Eloise,

When I was in Verona in September, Piazza dei Signori was undergoing some reconstruction and Caffe Dante was temporarily closed.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Kimberly, like Eloise, I took my first trip to Europe at 19, and have travelled alone many times since then. My 21-year old daughter is studying in Rome this semester and went without knowing anyone in her program. She has made many friends, but there are still times when she's on her own. The important thing is to be sensible and observe the same safety rules you would at home and you'll be fine. I would never go into any US city late at night and walk around alone, therefore, I would never do so in Italy or any other country. The other thing I always do when travelling is to wear (the dreaded) pouch under my clothing at all times. After travelling all over India and South America, I never been robbed. As others have said, it's a great way to meet people and it can be a wonderful experience.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Hi Kim,

Don't worry too much about traveling alone. I've done it twice to Europe now and have had a great time on both trips. I think after you have spent a couple of days there and have conquered your first train trip, you'll see how easy it really is.

My family, friends and co-workers were all completely amazed that I was doing a 3 week Italy trip solo. They told me I was "really brave." Nope, I had already visited twice before and I knew how easy it would be.

Go, have a great time. Use your common sense.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Nessundorma,

The eternal curse of Italy: "in restauro"!

But there is so much there and it all has to be taken care of, so I've learned to put up with it...

I would hope that by July the Caffe Dante will be back in business - but at the speed with which restorations go in Italy, it's far from a sure thing.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:54 AM

My first trip abroad was when I was 19, but I went with my 21 year old sister. We traveled by boat and bus from Greece to Istanbul, then down through Turkey to the border with Syria, where we got a $10 flight to Beirut. We spent a week in the mountains of Lebanon, and then flew to Cairo and went down the Nile to Luxor. We returned to Greece and toured the Peloponese.

I think the lesson is that you ONLY do this when you are young, and if you don't do it when you're young, you end up never going -- and just staying at home telling other people not to go either!

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Eloise,

There was a sign saying they'll get to finishing it as soon as they're done with the duomo in Milan.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I travel alone about half the time. A few tips of mine that you may find helpful:

When solo it is even more important you have your ducks in a row about finances. Don't carry your money/cards all in one place. Keep your paperwork and reservations well organized.

Pack light. Being able to easily manage your own bags without assistance avoids looking like an easy target or opening the opportunity for a stranger to "help you".

Always carry a paperback novel. If you are bored or lonely you can actually read it. If you want to be left alone (on a train or plane) you can pretend to read it.

If something unexpected happens or you find yourself upset, go to a cafe and sit down and have some food or a glass of wine. Or a hotel lobby works too. Gather your wits before you proceed.

Carry the business card of your hotel and local currency. If you are lost, you can show it to a taxi driver to find your way back "home".
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM

I went to the UK at your age, and this summer, some years later, I am going to Germany and Italy on my own. If my husband can't travel with my I actually prefer it to traveling with someone else. You can have a blast and cover as much ground as you want, with only yourself to suit.

I may get crucified for this, but I urge you to consider dressing conservatively and even wearing a wedding ring if you are single. Just a thought, based on experience and observation.

Rick Steves and some of the other travel guides have nice, succinct sections on women traveling alone. With a few helpful hints you will have a GREAT time!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hi Kim,
Have no fear about traveling alone. The friends and family who are discouraging you have most likely never done it.
Just use common sense and normal precautions that you would use even if traveling with friends and you'll be fine. Enjoy!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.journeywoman.com
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:58 PM

There are some great tips here which I also use, wearing a wedding ring is an excellent idea, don't carry your camera swinging from your arm, have it in a bag and take it out when you need to use it, step in to a cafe or even an office or shop doorway to read a map, advertising that you might be lost attracts attention sometimes.
Also Verona is a great choice, there is so much to see, the archeological museum, the arena, the cathedrals, the markets are all relatively close together. There are some nice cafes opposite the arena, great for people watching. The train station is a bit of hike on foot from the centre, about 15-20 minutes from memory. Try to get to Lake Garda, the train from Verona only takes about 15 minutes and it's well worth a few days there. Even one day. The local buses can get you to Sirmione and other lakeside towns, they are just beautiful.
Have fun.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:17 AM

Hi Kim,

While I can't help you as to which city, I can say that traveling solo in Italy is a blast!!! I went for the first time last October. Going solo allows you the freedom to stay as long or short as you want at the sites. Plus, the Italians are the nicest people I have ever met!! It was my first trip to Europe and am now planning my second trip for this October.

Where ever you pick to go, just have fun and soak it all in.

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -