Oslo Neighborhoods

Search

Oslo Neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oslo Neighborhoods

Hello, Does anyone have recommendations about best (i.e. most charming, nearest to the attractions) neighborhoods to stay in or be close to in Oslo? Is Kampen a good area? That's one of the places on our short list. Also, if you have hotel/apartment recommendations, they would be appreciated!!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM

It seemed to us that we should have stayed in a hotel close to the waterfront. That is where you can visit the Resistance Museum and catch boats to Bygdoy Island to see all the amazing museums there. We stayed at the Thon Stefan but wished we had stayed at the Thon Cecil, which was much closer to said waterfront. I don't really know much about the neighborhoods in Oslo, but the Cecil is between the huge park with the government buildings and the waterfront. Don't miss the KonTiki Museum and the Viking Ships.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Teacher Lady. (I'm a teacher lady, too;-) Is Karl Johan gate close to the sights? A lot of places we're looking at are close to that, but I don't know that it's necessarily in the heart of the town since it's a gate.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:47 AM

We stayed on Josefinesgate in one of these:-

http://www.bridgestreet.com/BWImages...Apartments.pdf

Not sure if you can do it as a private rental, though....

Anyway, the area is very nice - leafy, tree-lined avenues, minutes from the shops and Frogner (Vigelandspark)
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Barbara:
We like the Embassy District..residential, clean. We've stayed at the ivy-covered Gabelshus, and either walked or took the nearby trolley car to Akker Brygge, Karl Johann, etc...and found it easy to catch the Bygdoy boat, walk to the outstanding Resistance Museum (in a beautiful park) , etc.
Trip Advisor ranks the hotel as #1 in Oslo. Enjoy your trip.

stu t.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both. Am looking into the Josefingate apartments. We try to avoid hotels because we're traveling with little ones who need space to play, etc. when we're not outside. I have 2 apartments on the hook so far. One is near the Munch Museum and Botanical Gardens, which seems a bit outside the city center. The other is a 10-minute walk from Karl Johans Gate. It's about $50 more a night. Is it worth it to be closer to the center of the city?
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM

public transport is reliable and frequent, but be sure to buy tickets beforehand, much cheaper.
7-11 or Mix kiosks. Oslo is not a big city, both Kampen and BG, and anywhere else, is easy accessible with beforementioned transport, I don't think you would use 50$ on transport every day. However, if you stay 'out of center' you may have to change tram/bus in downtown to travel from one part of the city to another.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:19 AM

Karl Johans gate is the main street of Oslo with Stortinget (Parliament), Slottet (the palace) and the National Theatre. Gate is the Norwegian word for street. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM

If staying in Kampen, a good place to eat is the Kampen bistro.