Car Rental in Norway

Search

Car Rental in Norway

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in Norway

We are headed to Norway in July. Unfortunately the ferry no longer goes from England to Norway so we are flying in to Oslo, picking up a car for 12 days, driving around quite a bit, and then flying out of Bergen. There will be 5 of us with luggage so we need to rent at least an intermediate car. I've been looking at car rental and the prices are much higher than I expected, with additional one way fees as much as $200. I've been checking lots of websites and it's also sometimes hard to tell if the one-way fee is included or not so I'm having trouble comparing prices.

Can anyone recommend a good website for the best prices for car rental in Norway? Someone had recommended carhiremarket.com before. I've looked at that website, but they don't include the 1-way fee and don't seem to tell you what it will be before you book. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM

Have a look at kemwel.com If you go through the booking procedure using Oslo and Bergen it tells you if there is a one way fee you will be notified and can cancel at no charge.

In your case I think it's best you phone and get things straight up front no matter who you go through.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM

I have no solutions...only empathy. We arrive in Oslo on July 19, then fly immediately to Aalesund (between Bergen and Trondheim). We rented a Ford Focus wagon through Hertz for about 16 days. I don't recall the exact price, but it was arund $100+ per day...far greater than in the US. The "drop off fee" to leave it in Oslo at the end was over $400. That was the best we could find.

All these numbers are approximate, but my point is that prices are faaar greater then in the US. We tried Chemwell--no better.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Did you rent directly with Hertz? Some of the car rental discount sites seem to be slightly cheaper, but since I haven't used them before I'm not sure which are reliable.
Among the ones I've looked at are:
secureholidayautos.com, carrentals.co.uk rhinocarhire.com, carhiremarket.com, as well as autoeurope, hertz, budget, etc...

Any input on any of these sites? (I've typed them in based on my messy handwritten notes, so hopefully those are correct).
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM

Autoeurope (U.S. office) offered a one-way rental from Bergen to Trondheim, Kemwel had a lower rate but then a drop-off fee that made the rental more expensive. The irony is that we asked for a Ford KA (or similar) and got a Passat station wagon upgrade, which I really did not want. I'm waiting for the final bill to confirm that I did not pay extra for that upgrade.