Reload this Page >

Orvieto Day trip from Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Katie

Hi!<BR><BR>I would like to visit Orvieto on a day trip while in Rome next week and I was wondering if anyone knew the train schedule for this route? Also, any tips about taking Italian trains would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!<BR><BR>Katie

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Kim

Hi Katie,<BR>Check out www.trenitalia.it for schedules between Rome and Orvieto.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Byrd

Last year we (a group of 10) hired a van and driver for the day. We went to Orvieto and Todi, and thoroughly enjoyed the day. If you happen to be a family or group large enough to warrant it, this is an escellent way to see the villages as well as the countryside.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:36 AM
ann

I didn't do it as a day trip but I did leave my car in Orvieto and take the train to Rome for a couple of days, and then we did Orvieto. The train is easy, takes about 75 minutes and they run quite frequently, I think at least once an hour. You don't need reservations and the cost was about 10-15 euros, if I remember. Once you get to Orvieto there is a funicular right next to the train station which takes you up into the old town of Orvieto. Once up there you can walk (10 minutes) or take a shuttle bus (free with your funicular ticket) to the main piazza where the duomo is (and also the TI office). The world's best (really) gelato is to the left of the duomo (if you are facing it). The town is wonderful for wandering, some nice ceramics shops, and check out some of the smaller churches as they have some really nice, unrestored frescoes. The duomo is famous for it's frescoes which were recently restored.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Helen

Hi Katie, we are off to Italy in 7 weeks! Also plan a day trip from Rome to Orvieto - friends did it, and said it is a nice day trip (as Fodrites agree with!) Do a search on Trenitalia as suggested by Kim. I did a search already for myself - there are so many trains running - on an hourly or even less than hourly schedule - to and from Orvieto, and it is about 1 - 1 and half our drive - depends on the train!<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>Kindest regards<BR><BR>Helen Malan