Umbria day trips from Rome

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:03 AM
dd

Umbria day trips from Rome

If one had to pick 2 days trips to Umbria from Rome, which places would those be? I am looking for a good taste of Italian countryside with small towns etc.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:15 AM
gac

You have a good selection to choose from:
Orvieto
Narni/Amelia
Spoleto
Spello
Assisi
Perugia

Each can be reached by train (Amelia by bus from the Narni Depot).

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Diane

If you go to Orvieto, be sure to take a tour of the underground caves -- it is well worth it (reserve at the visitor center across from the Duomo). We loved Orvieto. They have lovely shops with crafts and ceramics.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Marcia

If you like ceramics, try to stop in Deruta. They have incredible factory stores and I bought the most beautiful ceramics there. They ship anywhere too. My favorite is Sambuco - check out their web site: www.sambuco.it. Prepare to go crazy!

Perugia is a great town - don't miss a restaurant called La Bocca Mia. V. Rocchi 36 - 06123 Tel: (+39) 075 5723873.

Enjoy!
Marcia

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 12:18 PM
dd

Thanks for the responses! Are all these places really day trips from Rome? What is the commute time by train from Rome to say Deruta?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:30 PM
gac

Yes, they are all day-trips (although Rome to Perugia is a minimum of five hours by train round-trip, plus ten minutes in each direction to reach the city center of Perugia by local bus, and Assisi/Spello not much less). The shortest commute is to Orvieto and Narni (a little over one hour each direction), with Orvieto clearly being the more significant attraction. Spoleto is also worth considering. Some trains to Spello/Assisi/Perugia require a change in Foligno.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:35 PM
sally

dd: if you only plan to go two places, my advice would be to skip Deruta. Only thing there is ceramics and you can get Derutan ceramics in most Umbrian towns. Go to Spoleto, Spello and or Orvieto; they are truly worth your time. A shop called `Baiocco in Spello has a great selection of ceramics. If you stop there, be sure to eat at Il Trombone; great food and a nice view of the countryside from the patio. We also loved Trattoria La Grotta in Orvieto and Tric Trac in Spoleto, which is next to the cathedral there. Our Italian hosts said Todi is well worth visiting, but unfortunately, we never got there.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:16 AM
guy

Orvietto and Assisi. Orvietto is about 75 minute train and Assisi is about 2 hours, maybe less. Both beutiful rides/scenery on the way.