Reload this Page >

Spoleto or Orvieto? - A day trip from Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:19 PM
Vita

I'll be in Rome for 10 days and plan on taking a day trip to one of the Umbrian towns. I wanted to go to one that was convenient from Rome by train, and I narrowed it down to either Orvieto or Spoleto.<BR><BR>Since I'll be staying in Rome, I'd like to go someplace with a smalltown feel - someplace pretty - but at the same time, I don't want to be bored.<BR><BR>Any comments on either of these towns for a day trip? In particular, which do you think has the better view? The better food? The better art and architecture (duomo, etc.)?<BR><BR>This will be in late November.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Graziella

I would choose Orvieto because it is a small town standing as a jewel on top of this plateau or altipiano,easy to visit in one day/ Orvieto has a fantastic duomo with a "facciata" that the evening sun can turn into something even more beautiful, ..Inside the duomo there is plenty of art to see...so if you visit the Duomo + the little streets of Orvietto + having a good lunch....you will have a great day.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Marilyn

Definitely Orvieto!<BR>Be sure to see the San Brizio chapel inside the Duomo.<BR>Here are 3 fabulous restaurants:<BR>1. Zeppelin<BR>2. The Etruscan<BR>3. The Fox and Grapes (Volpe y Uva?)<BR><BR>The gelato place at the end of the block to the left of the cathedral as you face it has some of the best gelato in all of Italy. Just follow the crowd after dinner.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:43 PM
Book Chick

Another vote for Orvieto! Vita, I think you will really enjoy the town & it is perfect for a day trip.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:58 AM
Luke

Toss a coin!<BR><BR>I've done day trips to both, and they were both fantastic. Orvieto has more obvious attractions and tourist infrastructure (museums, restaurants etc) but Spoleto is charming and has less of a touristy atmosphere.<BR><BR>Both are v. easy by train from Rome, and cheap too (avoid the Eurostar trains and you'll save loads although the journey will be a little longer).<BR><BR>If you choose Orvieto, go on the underground tour (organised from tourist office). Fascinating; learn the importance of pigeons in a besieged town.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:17 AM
xxx

The mosaic facade of the cathedral in Orvieto is unbelievable.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Dayle

We loved Orvieto & used it as a 3 day base. Stay for the evening meal and stroll! Several fantastic restaurants, definitely do the underground tour, it's very interesting. Lots of great shop & art. Very UN touristy.