Orvieto

May 26th, 2003, 02:30 PM
ira
Original Poster

Orvieto

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a daytrip to Orvieto from Florence.

Any suggestions of what to see other than the Duomo and the Archaeological Museum?

Good restaurants, shops?

Thanks
May 26th, 2003, 03:05 PM

I had a great meal at the Trattoria Tipica Etrusca near the Duomo. The undergound caves tour shouldn't be missed. Very interesting and different from everything else I saw in Italy. Just a walk around the perimeter was nice, with great views of the valley below.
May 27th, 2003, 03:51 AM
lekker

If you are interested in buying pottery - the shops in Orvieto sell the most beautiful ceramics!

We were waiting for our train to Rome - feeling sorry for ourselves because the restaurants next to the Duomo were full - decided to eat at the small Trattoria behind the station. What a pleasant surprise! Wonderful and cheap food, good, friendly service - and the cleanest and most beautiful toilet I have seen in a long time!

May 27th, 2003, 06:24 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks guys.
May 27th, 2003, 06:52 AM

We ate at the Hostella Evoria (I believe that's the name!). The food was the bomb! Everything in the restaurant is for sale - the furniture and accessories I mean. Also the Michaelangelli (sp?) store is also not to be missed.
There is a little gelato shop right across from the Duomo. The best gelato in Orvieto.
I second the underground cave tour-really interesting.
Just wander through the little town and enjoy!
May 27th, 2003, 07:03 AM

Good morning, Ira
Can put a second on alan64' recommendation of the Trattoria Etrusca, via Maitini, 10. Had a most
exellant dinner there a couople years
back and would most centainly return.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
May 28th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Does anyone know if there is a luggage room at the Orvieto train station? We'd like to stop over enroute to Florence from Rome with light luggage.
May 28th, 2003, 03:21 PM
ira
Original Poster

Hi Rosie,

You are more likely to get a response if you ask your question on your own post. Most folks will just look at my quesion and not see yours.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:45 PM

ttt
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:59 PM

Hi Ira, we'll be doing the opposite in a few weeks -- staying in Orvieto and going to Florence for the weekend.

Don't miss the San Brizio chapel inside the Duomo. It has a separate admission charge, but it is a spectacular and unusual vision of the end of the world.

If you will be there for dinner, the Etruscan (as mentioned) is quite good. My favorite restaurant, however, is Zeppelin, a 5 minute walk from the Duomo.

And the gelato place mentioned above is not only the best in Orvieto, it's on my short list for best in Italy.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help.
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:31 AM

I have one regret about Orvieto. I didn't stay there long enough. What a beautiful place.