Orsa Maggiore Rome [Women's Hostel]

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if any of the lovely Fodorite ladies have stayed at the International Women's Hostel in Rome - (Fosteria Orsa Maggiore)? I'm on a poverty-line type of budget but am unfortunately not over-joyed to share bathrooms etc, though I thought this might be bearable. Ta.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 10:37 PM

I assume you've seen the web site at
http://www.casainternazionaledelledo...ia.htm#english

It certainly sounds like an interesting budget option. So although I can't tell you anything, I'm glad you brought it to our attention.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Hello WillTravel - my pleasure. This site also provides additional information: www.italialodging.com/est/orsamaggiore/
The rooms look quite bright and clean and can be leased as regular doubles etc. It's in the Trastevere district and it sounds lovely really doesn't it? Reviews would be a bonus though.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Please forgive the topping - still cannot locate a single review. The doubles are around E110 and its right near the Ponte Mazzini in Trastevere. How about the area safety-wise even for 2 women [I believe it's north of Santa Maria]? Thanks again.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:21 PM

I actually just emailed them a few minutes ago before I came over to the Fodor's site and saw this post. I haven't stayed there before but read about them in Lonely Planet. If you check out the website, there are different types of rooms, some w/ and some w/o bathroom. The organization sounds interesting. I will let you know if we get rooms...
Annabelle
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Cool Annabelle, when are you planning to go? I've emailed and have my fingers crossed for an October booking if I can secure my own private bathroom! Mappy indicates it's about a 13 minute walk to the Camp dei Fiori etc so, incredibly central. By all means post your review. M
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM

AussieMel:
Well, I got a prompt reply and for our dates in mid-May, we can get one single for 52 euros and one double for 36 euros/pp. These are w/out bath, which is okay with us for this part of the trip -- if w/bath opens up, we would happily switch. We are traveling with other friends, a married couple, so our only dilemma is finding them a place nearby. We actually have reservations for the 5 of us at several hotels, which we will cancel as soon as we decide on where to stay; we are just on a search for something cheap but not creepy, and in a good location. So, far, this looks like a great deal for us 3 gals...
I'll try and find a review, too, and better idea of exact location.
Annabelle
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Annabelle - if you type the hostel's address - "via della Lungara 19" and note its postcode in the field provided "00165" at www.mappy.com you'll get a great idea re the hostel's location. It looks incredibly central to everything, though just across the Ponte Mazzini into Trastervere. I've emailed also and believe I'll confirm for October. It looks clean and the price is unheard of for a creep-free environ!

The process involves a 30% deposit into an Italian bank account which is fine bar the fact I've no idea how to do this from Perth. Perhaps one of Fodor's digi-transfer experts will assist?!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:51 AM

Hi again
Checked the map and the location looks convenient. AussieMel, did you make the 30% deposit? I just got the same information, and I haven't had time to figure out exactly how to do it yet. I will call my bank later. Did the hostel give you any information about cancellation policies? I asked, but didn't get a response on that yet.

Where else are you going on your fall trip? Do you have any other good lodging tips?
Thanks
Annabelle
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Hey Annabelle,
I'm in WA [Australia] so was daunted by any prospect of money ordering to Italy however the Hostel provides all the details necessary to make the deposit digitally. You'll probably be able to do it via your net banking set-up or ofcourse you'll be able to wire it for a fee. The outstanding sum is to be paid in cash upon arrival - but I'm not sure about cancellation. I'm presuming you might lose the deposit?

We're spending around 3 1/2 weeks in Italy so are hoping to self-cater for most of it. In Venice we're staying at Al Campaniel [sizeable self-contained apartment] - very highly recommended on this site - for under 90E per night. We're yet to cement our other accommodations, though I have a number shortlisted in Bellagio, CT, Florence and Perugia. Exciting. It's our first trip and our dollar isn't fantastic so we're making all attempts to do it cheaply, but without sharing bathrooms! I'm not a big youth hostel type but I think the Trastevere one looks awesome. Good luck!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM

I'll check with my bank tomorrow...seems like a difficult way to make a deposit, but I suppose it's part of the reason this place is cheap!

Funny, we have a reservation at Al Campaniel, too, but may switch to Ca'Turelli, which is a few euros more but nearer the Guggenheim, which is the one museum I want to see on this visit.

Here is a website for a B&B that also has apts in Perugia:
www.domusminervae.it
4 of us stayed there 3 years ago and it was a little funky but very reasonable and run by nice and helpful people. If you are interested in a longer stay in Umbria, click on my name and look for a posting about "le case gialle" -- it is an agriturismo (farmhouse) apartment where we are booked this May, right after Rome. It sounds great!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:36 AM

Here's a good link and descriptor for this hostel: http://www.italialodging.com/est/orsamaggiore/
I just booked a stay for 3 nights at the end of September.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:38 AM

Michelle, how did you handle the bank deposit requirement?
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 02:06 PM

I just printed out the instructions and am taking them to my credit union tomorrow. We'll see what they say. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi WillTravel,
I was able to digitally transfer the funds via my net banking service. If you netbank, or are able to create a new internet banking account, just set it up to 'pay anyone', or pay internationally. I'm obviously in Australia so it may be slightly different but the payment was received and confirmed within a day or two and the fees were low. Hope this helps! M
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info, AussieMel and Michelle. I'd love to hear how you like this place after you stay there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:30 PM

Me, too! We decided to stay at Nicolas Inn instead so we can all stay together (traveling w/ a married couple, so this hostel was out for them), but we girls may end up there for the last night of our Italy trip if it works out. It sound like a great place.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM

My bank had no difficulty with the wire transfer. I brought in the email with all of the relevant account information forwarded by the hostel and they wired the money. It was a $15 fee for the wire transfer -- from my credit union to a bank in NY to the hostel's bank in Italy. Good exchange rate (such that it is these days, a good rate for the current lousy dollar value.) I then faxed a copy of the wire transfer to the hostel and received a confirmation. They have been very responsive and quick in their replies. They do not, by the way, accept pay pal or US internet transfer options. It has to be bank wire transfer.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:49 PM

One last note -- the remainder of the payment (after the 30% deposit) has to be made in cash at the time of check in. I won't be going until the end of September, but will post a review when I'm back.