TRAIN help for Syllytexan's European Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I get too far into this post I want to thank everyone for all the great information in this forum. It has been so helpful in getting me to this point. We are a party of 4 thirty-somethings on our first trip to Europe, and I bravely undertook the task of planning this adventure. It is my first time out of the states, and I can't wait!

Here's what I've got so far:

Arrive London Heathrow via AA
London: 3 days and 3 nights
Tentative lodging: Holiday Inn Kensington Forum

Train to Paris
Paris: 4 days and 4 nights
Tentative lodging: Hotel Castex

Night train to Venice
Venice 1.5 days and 1 night
Tentative lodging: Casa Rezzonico

Train to Rome
Rome: 2.5 days and 3 nights
Tentative lodging: Hotel Des Artistes

I would appreciate any comments or advice in regard to the accomodations I have chosen.

Most importantly, I'm still having trouble figuring out how to purchase train tickets. I have found the schedules thanks to earlier posts, but I'm still confused as to whether I should purchase tickets before I arrive in London. Does it make a difference?

Best to buy the Eurostar ticket from London to Paris while still in the states?

Overnight train from Paris to Venice...which website is the best to purchase through?

Train from Venice to Rome...book ahead through trenitalia? or buy while I am there?

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:29 PM

One-way Eurostar tickets are cheaper in US thru Rail Europe - seems only round trips are available in London - maybe most Brits go round trip. cheapest $90 for trains Mon-Thu between 11am and 3pm, then $120 any trains Mon-Thu or $150 any trains any day - but subject to availability and $90 fare can be hard to book even weeks in advance. Can reserve 9 months in advance, however. Or you can cheat and book the $94 'day return' fare - sold as round trips for same day round trips to Paris - and then just not return, so you can possibly get the $94 fare even on weekends, peakp period for fares. For UK prices hit www.eurostar.co.uk and compare. If US prices better and you're a US resident then book here - I always recommend BETS (800-441-9413), a RailEurope agent who I've dealt with for years for their expertise in Eurostar ticketing,and which doesn't charge RailEurope's traditional $15 mailing fee. For RailEurope prices visit www.eurostar.com.
As for your other train trips if you book online with the sources you indicate you can get much cheaper fares than thru RailEurope in Us - but you must reserve these fares far in advance - almost as soon as 60 days in advance, when they come on the computer system to get them. If you don't want to hassle with advance reservations, non-refundable fares, etc., strongly investigate the France-Italy flexipass that would be a good deal if you're paying walk-up fares, maybe even in you're doing the discount route. This pass would also give you a bargain $75 rate on the London-paris eurostar train - a passholder fare versus the $90 or $94 above fares that are non-refundable, non-changeable - this passholder fare can be changed once in Europe up until the time of the train for no penalty - so a much better ticket than the non-refundable, noni-changeable $90, $94, $120 or $150 fares - and passholder fare can be used any day any train, subject to availabilty - again book as fare in advance as possible to get it for the train you want.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalQ for your advice and suggestions. I have a couple of questions about the France-Italy Flexipass:

1. It has to be validated in order for me to get a discount on the Eurostar chunnel trip between London & Paris. If I get the flexipass, I will not be validating it until I travel from Paris to Venice which will happen after the London-Paris leg.

2. Also, does the flexipass include the fare for the night train from Paris to Venice or is there another charge?

With regard to the night train, if we are wanting a four person couchette or a 2 person berth then we need to book in advance and reservations are required, correct? Which website is the best to do so?

Is it too early to reserve these accomodations on the night train for June? I am unable to find a place to purchase.

Anyone have experience in the 4 person couchette and 2 person berth....private bathroom and sink?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM

Try checking the Rick Steve's web site in the rail travel section. There's a lot of info there. The graffiti page has loads of info too, and places to get tickets. There are pics of the various kinds of cabins.

I got my Eurostar tickets from a travel agent here in California--was driving past their place for other business and I just stopped and picked them up. Definitely buy those ahead as they sell out lots of trains. Look around on the net, not all the agents charge the high fees and shipping.

If you get a rail pass you'll have to pay extra for a sleeper or couchette reservation, or for supplements on certain other more expensive trains. Some trains are reservation only, so you have to pay for those reservations on top of your rail pass.

Compare point to point costs with a pass, might not be cheaper in Italy as trains are cheap there.

I used Euraide to make reservations for a sleeper train I was taking early in our trip. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a cabin if we waited until we got to London. It was a good decision as the train was sold out. For later trains you can make reservations when you get there.
enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM

ttt
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:56 AM
ira

Hi ST,

In addition to the above good advice, I suggest that you buy your train tickets Paris/Venice as soon as possible to get the lowest fares.

www.sncf.com

For Italy, use www.trenitalia.com

They have ES* tickets for as low as 15E.

To see if a railpass will help you, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com

Good itinerary.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM

You must validate the France-Italy pass in London at check-in for eurostar, at Waterloo Eurostar check-in desk - validate for the 2-month period, then you can get a passholder fare. I've taken the Eurostar dozens of times and no one ever checks your ticket - it's all automated so no one has ever checked to see if i have a railpass let along to see if it's validated - but validate it anyway - easier than doing in Paris. The pass pays the Artesia night train fare to Italy but not the sleeping accommodation - T-4 costs $44 in US pricing thru Raileurope per person. T-6 is $32 p.p. doubles $88 p.p. There are no accommodations on these trains i believe with private bath/shower or toilet - shared on car. And i don't believe the T-4s have a wash basin either, but not sure. You can reserve thru BETS, RailEurope, etc. 60 days in advance - really if you have any questions call BETs (800-441-9413) they are really experts you talk to who know everything about these trains. Compare with online pricing thru Ira's web sites - may well be cheaper in advance but hop on the special fares as they sell out shortly after entering the 60 day advance reservation period. RailEurope says not to bill the Artesia trains as luxxury trains due to the many complaints they've had about them! My friends took it during the infamous heat wave of 2003 August and the air conditioning broke down and they said they nearly died from heat. I'm not saying not to take it but don't expect a hotel on wheels.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 12:23 AM

Kensington is 15 minutes each way extra travel to most tourist attractions in London. I suggest the Travellers Inn at County Hall or the Royal Adelphi at Charing Cross, both of them nearer to places you will go to see.

I am afraid London is not now a good place to buy continental rail tickets, as the only public desks for all west Europe are those at Rail Europe on Piccadilly, with long queues (lines), ill-informed staff, and high mark-ups. I suggest you email some agents now to give dates, times, and class of travel, Eurostar, berths, and Italian, and ask them to estimate their cost, then in office hours phone the one that looks best to book you.

Euraide in Florida, E-mail [email protected]. Phone 1 941-480-1555. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...e/homepage.htm, fax 1 941-480-1522

Trainseurope Ltd, of Cambridgeshire and London, E-mail [email protected]. Phone 00 44 900 195 0101 http://www.trainseurope.co.uk/ -

German Rail UK of Surbiton: E-mail : [email protected] Phone : 00 44 870 243 53 63 then 6. www.deutsche-bahn.co.uk/ Fax : 00 44 208 339 4700.

Ffestiniog Travel of Wales, E-mail [email protected], phone 00 44 176 651 2400 site http://www.festtravel.co.uk,

Inside France (Canterbury). E-mail [email protected]/. Or booking form on site www.rail-canterbury.co.uk/. Phone 00 44 1227 450088.

For Eurostar you should offer to buy return tickets if they are cheaper than singles. For Paris to Venice you should ask fares not only in 4 berth couchette compartments but also in 2 berth sleepers with washbasins, but not the expensive 2 berth sleepers with showers and bathroom. If T-4 costs $44, T-6 is $32. and doubles are $88 then I think the 88 dollar fare is worth while for a good, quiet, private night. If you use http://www.seat61.com/, then Italy, you will see pictures of what you get with each kind of ticket.

From Venice to Rome the obvious choice is the Eurostar Italia in 6 ½ hours. I like the 1032 departure, as it lets you lunch as you pass the Apennines. But with time as limited as yours you should think of a two-berth sleeper, perhaps 30 euros more in cost, from Venice Mestre at 2332 to Rome Tiburtina at 0656. It is worth going out to Mestre to board, as that gives you half an hour longer in bed. Or you could even start in the wrong direction: Venice Santa Lucia 2156, wash and brush your teeth at the end of the corridor, Treviso 2225, change direction, Treviso 2251, and so through to Rome. Again, in Rome you should not rush to leave the train, as it stands in Tiburtina station from 0656 to 0715. The car conductor will show signs of distress, but in fact you can finish dressing while in the station. I make other points in a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/., relevant also for your train from Paris.

[email protected].